• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I give up!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar aggravation with a small Siler mounted on a pistol. While it didn't catch and hold at half cock it would momentarily "catch" causing the cock to slow down enough for a very weak flint strike. I examined the internals and noticed the fly was dropped down so far that I could see virtually the whole part. But once the fly was removed - a single trigger pistol - the problem disappeared.

Being an old John Deere Area Service Manager, I love reading these type posts...Reminds me of how I used to catch hell in the old days, mechanics would always chase their tail before we found the real problem and it was usually much simpler than they thought... :)

The bridle should be tight. If it binds the tumbler the lock was made incorrectly. Sear screws sometimes are threaded to far and need to be left loose.

I can not diagnose what I can not hold.

I will say, if the fly is necessary for the lock to function with a single trigger you have another issue. The full cock notch should be at the same distance from the center of the tumbler, or a bit further out. If the full cock notch is closer than the half cock not the lock will always be a problem. It will beat up the sear and cause function problems. This will be worse with a powerful sear spring and or a sear spring with the tip too short.

Last edited:
Back