• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I give up!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In full cock position the front trigger with not activate the system! I'm going to tear the trigger housing out of the stock, post a couple of photos and let you fellows maybe see something odd about this set up. Will also take photo of the interior of the lock! Thank you!!
Photos will help! You said it was purchased 5 years ago. Did it ever work properly?
Larry

L&R fly installed correctly. It CANNOT go to half cock on the firing sequence. Metal on metal BLOCK. Actually lifting/pushing sear away from the half cock notch in the tumbler.

If I install it the other way, it's going to drop to half cock every time.
Yes it looks like it is installed correctly. My question is is when you cock it is the cock going all the way back to let the sear go past the fly. The only way to tell is install lock, cock it remove lock and see if the fly has fallen in to the right position. I had a gun I built do that and cock itself was hitting on wood on the outside of the lock.

Yes it looks like it is installed correctly. My question is is when you cock it is the cock going all the way back to let the sear go past the fly. The only way to tell is install lock, cock it remove lock and see if the fly has fallen in to the right position. I had a gun I built do that and cock itself was hitting on wood on the outside of the lock.

That is a pic that I just took to show the OP with the issue (not me) what a correctly installed fly looks like, and how it functions-

Yup, the fly is installed backwards. See the bevel on the fly? Turn the fly over and your rifle will be fine.

1633739256374.png

Its also not dropping down to cover the half cock notch.

Yup, the fly is installed backwards. See the bevel on the fly? Turn the fly over and your rifle will be fine.

View attachment 98378

Its also not dropping down to cover the half cock notch.
Sir....I'm somewhat dumb! I can build a Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine but I'm lost as to what exactly IS THE FLY and bevel! My IQ level right now on this is about 4 numbers higher than my #12 boot size!

Sir....I'm somewhat dumb! I can build a Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine but I'm lost as to what exactly IS THE FLY and bevel! My IQ level right now on this is about 4 numbers higher than my #12 boot size!
The fly is the pie shaped little critter on the tumbler right above the half cock notch. The bevel needs to be reversed to what it is. Take the fly off and turn it over. The bevel of the fly will then make the sear over ride the half cock. Easy fix for what ails your lock.
Larry

The fly is the pie shaped little critter on the tumbler right above the half cock notch. The bevel needs to be reversed to what it is. Take the fly off and turn it over. The bevel of the fly will then make the sear over ride the half cock. Easy fix for what ails your lock.
Larry
OK Larry! I'm going to continue this tomorrow because it appears that the only way I can get to the fly is to take a loose the main spring and I need a different size standard screw driver to get it loose! Thanks for your insight and I'll see if I can't get this thing right tomorrow! Thank you much....I'll post the results thereto!

Parts are much bigger on a Pratt and Whitney aircraft engine. @Sun City, you have also had extensive training on the engine and you are familiar with the parts.

You will need a main spring vise to relieve the tension of the mainspring so the mainspring can be safely removed from the lock. A screwdriver isn't the only tool you will need.
Mainspring Vise, to safely compress a mainspring - Track of the Wolf

In the picture below, @Erzulis boat is showing the tumbler with the bridle removed to show the fly. Its the little piece in the notch of the tumbler and the sear is resting on the fly. It has pushed the fly over the half cock notch and will ride over the notch and continue to rotate to strike the frizzen, make sparks and set off the charge in the pan

Tumbler View.jpg

Bevel.jpg

The half cock notch is just above the B in bevel. The nose of your sear is resting in the full cock notch. The bevel of the fly can also be seen and is facing the half cock notch when it should be facing the full cock and the nose of the sear.

Now that you, @Sun City, have the lock out and the hammer in full cock, does the fly move easily in the notch in the tumbler? If the bridle screws are too tight, that may bind the fly in the notch in the tumbler. Back the sear screw out 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Does the fly move freely in the tumbler? Pull the hammer back slightly to get the nose of the sear out of the full cock notch. Lift the sear to allow the tumbler to begin to rotate past the nose of the sear and allow the nose of the sear to ride on the tumbler. The nose of the sear should push the fly forward to cover the half cock notch. Now the nose of the sear will ride on the fly and pass over the half cock notch. If the fly is installed backwards the nose of the sear will stop on the fly.

If you don't have the spring vise to take the lock apart, find a muzzle loading rifle gun smith to take the lock apart and install the fly correctly.

Last edited:
Larry
This is the piece or 'fly' that I think you are speaking to however I don't see it can be turned over as there's a hold that the pin fits in! IMG_2929 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back