• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found this set at a small gun shop, What is it? a factory set or a special issue? Or???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a heck of a find if the price is reasonable. I really like that case though.
Well, as I've never bought a unit like this in my 75 years I don't know if I got a deal or I got a shaft. I paid 1200 for the set with the box of accessories including molds, handles, very old melting pot, and assorted balls, powder, etc.. that price did not include 6% for the governor of Idaho who is a lot of things but not a guy to forgive lack of tax paying. What do you think??

Well, as I've never bought a unit like this in my 75 years I don't know if I got a deal or I got a shaft. I paid 1200 for the set with the box of accessories including molds, handles, very old melting pot, and assorted balls, powder, etc.. that price did not include 6% for the governor of Idaho who is a lot of things but not a guy to forgive lack of tax paying. What do you think??
Three bills for each pistol minimum, new. That's $1200 right there. No idea on the rifle but I reckon at least $500, easy. Flasks and such, the rest of the little stuff, likely a couple hundred more counting what you mentioned but that isn't pictured. Then you have a custom fitted case, the value of which is at least a couple hundred more if not more than that. I feel like I'm being pretty conservative here on these estimates. You had a very good friend indeed. I do know that if you took that to my local range and popped it open you'd get a crowd.

Larry, Welcome to group therapy!
The 575213 Mold is a common Minie Ball mold used in the war of Northern Aggression. It is .575" in diameter and approximately 505 grains weight.

That is quite a collection you acquired. BTW I still have the long rifle I bought from Turner Kirkland in the 1960's it looks like the one you have in the case. Mine was made in .45 caliber and was very accurate.
In the 1970's I loaned it to a fellow while I was building him a long rifle. It seems he and his German shepherd fell out of the cab of his truck at the same time. My rifle was on the bottom of the pile. Of course it shattered the stock through the wrist and all the way back into the cheekpiece. I glued it back together and decided to make a squirrel rifle out of it and fitted a Douglas .36 barrel to it and changed it to flintlock. I still have it all these years later and occasionally shoot it in matches yet.
Enjoy the collection!
Barry

Welcome to the forum, if your open for another addiction you'll find lots of help here !
There are several black powder clubs in your area to shoot with.
relic shooter

You did very, very well.

You did very well, especially in the steel frame revolvers. I was also going to say the mold sounds like a 575 Mine' bullet. As others have indicated, the case was most likely built by the previous owner and not a special issue.

I can send you some handouts on how to load a rifle or single-shot pistol if you like plus one on muzzleloader "Dos and Don'ts". Otherwise, there are plenty of YouTube videos, some by well-known experts like Mike Belevue and Mark Humphries.

Try and locate a ML club in your area. You'll find many seasoned shooters there. Most are willing to take a newbie and help them on their way. There are classes out there. When we do them, we only charge for the cost of materials. Others want $250!

Lastly, head the warning below my signature! 😁

Good Luck, welcome to the fold, and congratulations on an awesome gun store find!

Walt

Last edited:
Those Turner Kirkland Dixie Gun Works rifles are highly desirable. Best of luck!
20211114_121640.jpg
early Turner Kirkland
20220209_071558.jpg

I have an Ideal mold for the Mini-Ball it uses, can you tell me what the numbers on the mould mean?, they are from top left of the mold as follows: 7 IDEAl, just below that word,. Middlefield Conn. USA down on the bottom section right below the groove, the number 575 on the left side, and 213 on the right side, on the bottom of the piece at the right corner is the number 680
The number 680 is also on the bottom of the other half of the Mimi-ball mold.
Sorry it took so long to get back. the number 575 is the bullet diameter and 213 is the weight in grains. It's for a 58 caliber gun.

Where in Idaho... several clubs around... I am in the panhandle.... Most any of us would be happy to share knowledge with you first hand,..

Back