• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found this set at a small gun shop, What is it? a factory set or a special issue? Or???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been buying and selling blackpowder arms for about 60 years and have never seen a deal like you found. What you paid $1000 U.S. for would at auction go for somewhere north of $5000 U.S. Shoot the case would go for $1000 U.S. alone.

"Sorry it took so long to get back. the number 575 is the bullet diameter and 213 is the weight in grains. It's for a 58 caliber gun."

575 is the nominal diameter. The actual diameter can vary, according to the type of lead used when casting. BTW, ONLY pure lead should be used in your muzzle loaders. The 213 is the model number, NOT the weight of the cast bullet. Ideal, later Lyman, had two styles of 575213: the 575213 weighs about 500 grains, the 575213 OS (Old Style) weighs about 460 grains. The 680 is the number of the mould cut with that specific cherry (the cherry is the tool used to cut the inside diameter of the mould).

That mould is intended for Civil War era rifles and rifle muskets. I doubt that Kentucky style rifle is a .58 caliber, but I may be wrong.

Ok, well today I actually went and tried actually taking the equipment that I got in the box of accessory material and began matching things up. I have a lot of different caliber balls and Minni Ball equipment; the previous owner must have owned several other weapons as I have discovered that many of hte parts and accessories will not fit any of the pistols or this rifle. I was taking a wild guess that the rifle was a 58 because of the mold's of .575 in both Minni and Ball and a lot of premade balls and Minni's in those sizes. But nope, those will not fit so i guess I have a lot of lead I can remelt and reform. The 36 caliber molds are .375 and .389 sized and the last is .451 for
I have been buying and selling blackpowder arms for about 60 years and have never seen a deal like you found. What you paid $1000 U.S. for would at auction go for somewhere north of $5000 U.S. Shoot the case would go for $1000 U.S. alone.

the two Army pistols. I am not sure of the Rifle is 45 as the ball seems quite large so I guess I will try to buy a box of .40 caliber and see if it wants to load. After all if nothing else I will have more lead to melt. Not sure what to do with the 58 caliber rod attachment that was in the box but I guess it will sell some place with the molding blocks. I am really looking forward to shooting these weapons, I'll give them a good cleaning and start out just as soon as it dries out some. I've been getting my lawn watered for the last few days here in Nampa Idaho, hoping all you are having fun and getting ready for spring too.

"Sorry it took so long to get back. the number 575 is the bullet diameter and 213 is the weight in grains. It's for a 58 caliber gun."

575 is the nominal diameter. The actual diameter can vary, according to the type of lead used when casting. BTW, ONLY pure lead should be used in your muzzle loaders. The 213 is the model number, NOT the weight of the cast bullet. Ideal, later Lyman, had two styles of 575213: the 575213 weighs about 500 grains, the 575213 OS (Old Style) weighs about 460 grains. The 680 is the number of the mould cut with that specific cherry (the cherry is the tool used to cut the inside diameter of the mould).

That mould is intended for Civil War era rifles and rifle muskets. I doubt that Kentucky style rifle is a .58 caliber, but I may be wrong.
Youi are not wrong, I got my reply's mixed up and i really thank you for all your help. Be safe and have fun. Larry

Thank you for your input, I'm beginning to think I actually did something right for once, Hey you know, maybe me and a civilian clock have something in common. When were you in the Coast Guard?

If your rifle is a 45 it will probably take a .440 round ball that is patched. The old powder, patch, ball saying holds true. A .451 pistol ball is too large for the rifle. The caliber designation for cap and ball revolvers is different than what is used for rifles. Revolvers is the land to land rifling measure and long guns is the groove measure. Don’t ask me why.

Vietnam era 1964-1970 all service was state side mostly on light houses.
Thank you for your service, I started in the Oregon N.G. in Sept 63 and got out of the Regular Army in May 72, then did another 3 years in the Idaho Guard.
A friend of mine's daughter is currently serving in the Coast Guard but I am unsure of exactly where at the moment, she was on the west coast last time I heard.
Larry

Back