• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I found this set at a small gun shop, What is it? a factory set or a special issue? Or???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this box of black powder pistols and a muzzle loader that was from a older man to be sold because he did not want his wife to worry about them. I'm not exactly a kid myself but this is my first try at muzzle loading, black powder weapons. In addition I got a box of accessories that include an older melting pot, a tin of 3F powder, a cardboard tube type box with approximately a pound of 2F, a few caps, a couple of sets of replacement nipples, 6 bullet molds, mostly round ball and one Minnie ball, 2 mold handles, a ladle, several nipple wrenches, an adjustable powder measure (set to 35 grains) a set of sight for the micro sights on the rifle, and a box of spare round balls and Minnie balls, The pistols are 2 navy model 36 caliber by Navy arms, and two Army models one colt and one Remington in 44 caliber. Two powder horns (metal) one apparently for the rifle and one for the pistols. All the pistols were built by Uberti and the Rifle seems to be a Turner - Kirkland built in Belgium. I don't actually know what the caliber is on the Rifle, the Minnie ball mold says "Ideal Number 7, on top, on bottom are the numbers 575 on the left, 213 on the right and 680 on the bottom right of the mold. I can't seem to transfer a photo from my phone to the message, at the moment it will not transfer to my desktop either. When I sort it out I'll try to add some better information. The pistol serial numbers are as follows: 415 and 917, for the Navy 36 caliber and 213 and 408 for the 44 Army pistols.

I found this box of black powder pistols and a muzzle loader that was from a older man to be sold because he did not want his wife to worry about them. I'm not exactly a kid myself but this is my first try at muzzle loading, black powder weapons. In addition I got a box of accessories that include an older melting pot, a tin of 3F powder, a cardboard tube type box with approximately a pound of 2F, a few caps, a couple of sets of replacement nipples, 6 bullet molds, mostly round ball and one Minnie ball, 2 mold handles, a ladle, several nipple wrenches, an adjustable powder measure (set to 35 grains) a set of sight for the micro sights on the rifle, and a box of spare round balls and Minnie balls, The pistols are 2 navy model 36 caliber by Navy arms, and two Army models one colt and one Remington in 44 caliber. Two powder horns (metal) one apparently for the rifle and one for the pistols. All the pistols were built by Uberti and the Rifle seems to be a Turner - Kirkland built in Belgium. I don't actually know what the caliber is on the Rifle, the Minnie ball mold says "Ideal Number 7, on top, on bottom are the numbers 575 on the left, 213 on the right and 680 on the bottom right of the mold. I can't seem to transfer a photo from my phone to the message, at the moment it will not transfer to my desktop either. When I sort it out I'll try to add some better information. The pistol serial numbers are as follows: 415 and 917, for the Navy 36 caliber and 213 and 408 for the 44 Army pistols.
Those Turner Kirkland Dixie Gun Works rifles are highly desirable. Best of luck!

To upload pics from your phone, click reply, look at the top and you'll see a rectangular box at the end of the top row of icons. Tap it, and a drop down will appear. Tap the drop down and it will take you to your photos. Select the ones that you want to upload and click done.

PM me if you need more help. Nice find BTW.

Attachments

• 20220324_152157.jpg
    20220324_152157.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 649
  • 20220324_180414.jpg
    20220324_180414.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 648
Thank you, do you know how to tell what caliber the rifle is?
Nice score! Wow, is all I can say. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Never load the rifle directly from those flasks. You will need to learn how to load, how NOT to dry ball, patches, lube, cleaning. Believe me, dry balling is not fun, (forgot to add powder before the patch/ball). The best of us have done it. You will find that 3fg works best in a 40 caliber rifle, and the pistols as well. That peep sight doesn't look cheap. We have many old salts on this forum that have been around the block a time or two.

Forgive my manners, welcome to the forum. You will be hooked! This is one addiction that is better than drugs!

Last edited:
Do you have calipers? Measure the ball diameters, Typically, a 40 caliber will use a .390 ball. BTW, those bullets look oxidized (white coating), and I would handle them very carefully with latex or nitrile gloves.

Do you have calipers? Measure the ball diameters, Typically, a 40 caliber will use a .390 ball. BTW, those bullets look oxidized (white coating), and I would handle them very carefully with latex or nitrile gloves.
I have an Ideal mold for the Mini-Ball it uses, can you tell me what the numbers on the mould mean?, they are from top left of the mold as follows: 7 IDEAl, just below that word,. Middlefield Conn. USA down on the bottom section right below the groove, the number 575 on the left side, and 213 on the right side, on the bottom of the piece at the right corner is the number 680
The number 680 is also on the bottom of the other half of the Mimi-ball mold.

Back