• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I found 5 of Dad's C&B Revolvers...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was rooting around and found these in an old foot locker. All are Italian replicas...

FIE 1858 .44 Remington (no box).

It was purchased in 1985.
IMG_0968.JPG

Next is a Navy Arms .44 Remington; it doesn't cock though. The white stuff on the cylinder appears to be from the foam box insert.
It's from 1988.
IMG_0963.JPG

Next is the Navy Arms Colt 1860 Army from 1987.
IMG_0962.JPG

The best looking to me is the Armi San Marco 1851 Colt Navy (Confederate Model) from 1992.
IMG_0957.JPG

Last but not least is the Uberti 1847 Walker Colt from 1993. I knew what it was while picking up the box, didn't need to see the label ;-)
IMG_0952.JPG

It still has all paperwork...

All of the boxed units appear to still have left-over grease from the wrapping paper/plastic. There is a bit of green corrosion here and there on some of the brass.
There are bits of surface rust here and there also...
Dad made notes, apparrently all use .451 balls. There's quite a bit of cleaning of general funky smell (there was a moldy Cabela's holster in the trunk; need to figure how to clean it up) to do.

Any tips or hints as to basic lubes for dis-assembly and re-assembly, and things not to do is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
Nice collection, they all look brand new with the exceptions as noted, I would say the 58 not cocking is due to old dried grease probably a good cleaning and a bit of oil and it will be O.K. Keep the boxes, as if you ever decide to part with them that will add to the price.

There are some good videos on YouTube that show how to disassemble the pistols. Warm soapy water is good for basic cleaning. If you don't have already, you need a nipple wrench and a gun cleaning rod and attachments.
Some kind of anti-seize grease for the nipple threads. A light oil for the metal parts.

Really great treasure to find. I wouldn't stress too much on spit and polish, if one had the use of an ultra sonic cleaner ( soap and water) it would do a good job, rinse with hot water and dry with a hair dryer. I use a heavy grease like auto chassis grease for the workings on the bottom end and lightly lube with olive oil barrel and cylinder, doesn't have to be olive oil, just some natural lube, yeah, even some of the expensive stuff that will come up in discussion. A petroleum product will cake and get cruddy real quick with black powder residue, I would refrain from using.
As mentioned earlier several you tube videos on the subject, but after a time or two they are about all the same.
Now, just sit back, grab some popcorn and let the discussion begin.:)

Great find! .451 is a bit small on most .44 cal revolvers, most do better with a .454. If the .451 does not shave a lead ring, chances are it's too small

If considering selling any pf the New ones probably worth 2x more uncleaned and in the box as collectors items. Heck boxes alone sell big.

Thanks to all.

Have a ROA stainless & T/C Hawken that I've had for years - still un-fired but hope to soon. I have a nipple wrench, anti-seize, etc.
As far as grease, I have some automotive synthetic stuff, it's used on tool box casters, auto door hinges, etc. Olive oil for salad dressing also. :)

The Graf & Sons black arrived the other day. Have dealt with them before, great company.

Bob
p.s. found Dad's B.P. Plano tackle boxes; one marked rifle the other pistol. We'll see...

If considering selling any pf the New ones probably worth 2x more uncleaned and in the box as collectors items. Heck boxes alone sell big.

Many thanks vintovka,

All of the boxes had been raided of their accessories, etc. Will look in the aforementioned tackle boxes later.

Bob

Hope to have a child who values the attic finds i leave behind as much as you value those your father left for you. I have some hope for one and maybe a future son in law may be interested. Youngest daughter announced her nuptials last Friday. Have not physically met the young man since he`s become a young man, but they have known each other since kindergarten.

Back