• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I finally shot my "new" Remington revolver today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had the flu for the past few days but felt well enough today to try out the Remington for the first time. I'm pleased. I will need to get some #10 caps instead of the #11s I had on hand. Shooting offhand, with two hand hold, I can shoot good small groups all day long, even shaky, like I was today. I completely disassembled it to clean it afterwards, of course, and it looks perfect inside.

Awesome:)

I got out today to shoot a Dragoon after what seems like a month of being sick.

Finding the right caps is my current challenge.....the Treso nipples didn't like #11 CCI or Winchester caps...the factory nipples are sized inconsistently and caps fit loose on some.

I'm going to check Track of the Wolf to see if they have carbon steel Uberti Walker/Dragoon nipples.

#10 caps seem to be a mail order only type deal but I seem to think my local Dunham's has or had the Remington #10's at one point

Those who question the accuracy and terminal performance of c&b revolvers simply don't know what they're talking about. Hickok was deadly with his .36 Navy Colts.

TOW has a good selection and most likely a set from them will fit the need.

The "improvements" that I thought about had to do with preventing fouling and jamming after several shots being fired. Since I only fired a few this first time out, that was not a concern. But when I disassembled the pistol, I found it not to be nearly as "dirty" as I expected. Now that it is clean and lubed I expect it to be even easier to clean next time. Therefore, the improvements/modifications are probably unnecessary. The only thing I will probably do is switch nipples or maybe just switch to #10 caps. I have never used #10s and understand they are not as easily found as #11s. We have a Dunhams locally but I believe all they keep in stock is in-line stuff.

You may want to try a couple of different brands of caps too. I've found #10 remingtons fit better than #10 CCI on one of my revolvers. Also, I shot 3 cylinders through my 44 Pietta Remington a couple of weeks ago with three different cylinders without any gumming of the action. Of course the pin holes in each cylinder had been well lubed before shooting.

Not sure you are in NC but if you are close I have 1,700 #10 caps you can have (PM), I use 11's and have 7,000 of them (good to go for some time)

Back