• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I finally recieved my cannon barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, here she is. After 6 weeks of waiting.

Caliber: 20mm
Length: 650mm
Weight: 38lbs
Material: EN9 steel
Flashhole dia: 3mm
Diameter: 75mm

Cannon.jpg

Waht do you guys think? :grin: :grin: :grin: :hmm:

Mule Brain said:
One question, why the lack of reinforcement rings along the barrel?

Its a scale model of a napoleon III which didnt have any reinforcement rings along the barrel. I did however add the ring around the breech for extra strength and an extra 3mm high ring at the trunnions. The barrel wall is more that one caliber along the full length of the barrel. :wink: I reckon if I load it beyond the trunnions, i'm only wasting powder.... :rotf: :rotf:

Where's the carriage?

Thats where my own labour comes in. I will be using african teak and am in the process of starting with it soon. I am just waiting for my 6 pndr light field cannon blueprint from dixie gunworks I ordered 3 weeks ago. I will however keep you guys in the loop as I progress with it. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the comments guys. :bow: :thumbsup: I am burning to start with the carriage, :hmm: but my blueprints are still somewhere in the mail... :shake: :shake: Out of experience I know that Dixie doesnt ship very fast to South Africa. :snore: :grin: :wink:

Well, I made up ten 200gr charges yesterday. Havent had a chance to do the test firing this past weekend, but hopefully my logistics will fare out well this coming saturday so that I can go burn lots of powder in one go.

One of my friends (a metallurgist) has access to instumentation that we can use to measure the microscopic expansion of the steel under ignition. He will also caluclate maximum pressure tolerance of the tube, which I will stamp onto the barrel.

Very cool there Titus! Just don't blow yourself up, there ain't enough beard to cover that kind of ugly! :rotf: :rotf:

50cal.cliff said:
Very cool there Titus! Just don't blow yourself up, there ain't enough beard to cover that kind of ugly! :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Yeah, especially now that I trimmed everything shorter. :grin:

DD said:
Titus,

If you wish I can send you up some carriage plans from Durban.

DD, that would be much appreciated. :bow: :bow: Can I PT you my postal address?

titus,

now that is what i would call a 'good' looking cannon. almost makes me want to build one.

was the bbl a local build??

..ttfn..grampa..

thanks anyway titus,

just found your old post that explains your plan.

did i read that right?? the complete bbl only cost $100.00 to build?

thanks and ..ttfn..grampa..

grampa, you read right. :grin: It helps to have contacts in the right places. :bow: :wink:

Got my plans yesterday from DD, and lo and behold... theres plans for a 12pounder Napoleon. :grin: :grin: so now I can start with the building of the carriage. The wheels seems easier than what I expected. :hmm:

Back