• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I finally own a Whitworth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As noted by Widows Son, Parker-Hale’s ‘Whitworth’ model is fitted with a barrel using Joseph Whitworth’s characteristic hexagonal rifling. It can be loaded with a mechanically fitting hexagonal section bullet or a cylindrical bullet. The .45 bore has a 1 in 20 pitch rifling and typical 19thC bullets weighed 530 grains. This commenced as a military rifle design in the mid-late 1850s, but a new market was to open up for Whitworth.

Rifle Volunteers Corps (akin to the US National Guard) were established in 1859, closely followed by the establishment of the NRA(UK). With the first NRA rifle meeting at Wimbledon in 1860 and Royal Patronage rifle shooting became a popular pastime. Rifle Volunteers used their .577 rifles in competition and ‘Any Rifle’ events open to all-comers saw the ‘small-bore’ .45 rifle widely used. The latter saw many makers enter the market following the principles established by Whitworth - Rigby from Ireland and Alex. Henry from Scotland being just two examples. These rifles of the early 1860s externally appeared as a full-stocked military rifle.

Parker-Hale used ‘Volunteer’ as a marketing name for their ‘military match’ rifle, originally introduced with a form of Rigby rifling, and later switching to Henry rifling. (The latter have a ‘H’ prefix to the serial number).

Typically the .577 Enfields in the hands of Rifle Volunteers were used in competition out to 600 yards, whereas the .45 rifles used in Any-Rifle events would be used to 1000 yards.

David

It's a Euroarms in pristine condition. Is the "Volunteer" model as accurate without the Hexagonal Rifling?

Thanks!

Walt

It's a Euroarms in pristine condition. Is the "Volunteer" model as accurate without the Hexagonal Rifling?
I had a Parker-Hale ‘Volunteer’ with Henry rifling and set an MLAGB National Record at 600 yards with it, beating Whitworths, Metfords, Rigbys.... it was several years before a new record was set. It’s not so much the hexagonal rifling, but establishing a relationship between bore size, bullet length and rate of twist that marked the accuracy - many others followed the principles established by Whitworth. His rifling was supplanted by Metford’s shallow groove rifling and hardened cylindrical bullets.

David

I am concerned, I remove the “clean out” screw each time I clean my TC Seneca and patriot and really want some hard info as to whether I should or shouldn’t do this. Can anyone point to some authorities information or a link
Gary

As mentioned here and on other sites, the screw was there to fill a hole made during the complex operations to machine the flash channel, and then fill it. It is, in my understanding NOT intended to be removed, as the sight of a number of b*ggered-up screw-heads on similar rifles noted over the years would testify.

My Whitworth, an early production from 1980, has had the screw emplaced, and then smoothed over - later production, in a cost-saving exercise, omitted this extra work and left the screw head visible - see lower photo -
1627372331763.png

1627372520222.png

However, it is your rifle - do as you want.

I am concerned, I remove the “clean out” screw each time I clean....
The breech plug cross channel is bored from the right and needs to be closed; a 19thC solution was a platinum cap as per the original Gibbs-Metford target rifle breech plug illustrated. Platinum was resistant to wear and corrosion. As per the post above, note no means to remove the cap.

Consider the wear to a screw and the pressures that it may be put under. Irrespective of any damage that may occur to the rifle should the screw blow out, consider where it will fly and who may be ‘in the line of fire’.

David

7FDBB6B2-8C51-4E2C-9BA9-7F9442598ACF.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a Parker-Hale ‘Volunteer’ with Henry rifling and set an MLAGB National Record at 600 yards with it, beating Whitworths, Metfords, Rigbys.... it was several years before a new record was set. It’s not so much the hexagonal rifling, but establishing a relationship between bore size, bullet length and rate of twist that marked the accuracy - many others followed the principles established by Whitworth. His rifling was supplanted by Metford’s shallow groove rifling and hardened cylindrical bullets.

David

Thanks for the info, David. From what I’ve read so far, you’re the expert in English Target Shooting and Rifles.

While waiting for your response and Googling the Volunteer, I found this very quote in another thread. I also discovered your Facebook page and Website.

I think I’m going to “Pull the Trigger” on the purchase of this fine firearm. It’s reasonably priced.

From what I’ve read and heard from my local Muzzle Loader shop, Euroarms purchased the tools and machinery from Parker Hale to continue manufacturing these fine arms. I also heard that they went out of business and that they were bought by Pedersoli. However, their website is still up and running, for information only. If that’s the case, maybe the new Pedersoli models are also made with the PH equipment. I wish they'd bring back the 1803 Harper's Ferry.

I’ll have many more questions and look forward to having them answered here.

Thanks again!

Walt

The breech plug cross channel is bored from the right and needs to be closed; a 19thC solution was a platinum cap as per the original Gibbs-Metford target rifle breech plug illustrated. Platinum was resistant to wear and corrosion. As per the post above, note no means to remove the cap.

Consider the wear to a screw and the pressures that it may be put under. Irrespective of any damage that may occur to the rifle should the screw blow out, consider where it will fly and who may be ‘in the line of fire’.

David

View attachment 86853

A friend of mine was almost hit with an incorrect sized clean-out screw from a CVA muzzle Loader!

Suggest if you are on Facebook to join the Whitworth group there too. First let me state I know just enough to be dangerous, second my shooting results can't be used to determine anything. I cast my hex bullets from a Pedersoli mold and shoot unpatched. They fall down a clean bore, my paper patched .442 cylindrical bullets load effortlessly too. Clean your bore between shots. I have been shooting rock hard linotype hex bullets, this may be a mistake as they don't bump up to bore diameter. Going to try a soft lead hex next.
Hi,
Dont have a Whitworth yet....but its a coming I was interested in the Pedersoli mold, but this is the first time Ive read a good review on it. In fact on here somewhere someone said its the worst. So I don't have an opinion on it. Whitworth, what Whitworth warrants worth . Whew. You have a Persoli rifle.

Hi,
Dont have a Whitworth yet....but its a coming I was interested in the Pedersoli mold, but this is the first time Ive read a good review on it. In fact on here somewhere someone said its the worst. So I don't have an opinion on it. Whitworth, what Whitworth warrants worth . Whew. You have a Persoli rifle.
I shoot a "Parker-Hale" Whitworth made in 1999 by Armi San Palo, pre EuroArm formation, that in it's self is a long story. I call it my Franken-Hale, how much Parker-Hale it is anyone's guess but that's how it's marked. YMMV

I shoot a "Parker-Hale" Whitworth made in 1999 by Armi San Palo, pre EuroArm formation, that in it's self is a long story. I call it my Franken-Hale, how much Parker-Hale it is anyone's guess but that's how it's marked. YMMV
And you like the Pedrrsoli mold? Any comments or complaints, tips? Its certsinly cheaper tjan some. Thinking about it.

I made two 451s from surplus Martini Henry barrels Before PHale made any . The Martini barrels both military match types one went to NZ & my own I retain yet The M H barrels where unfired' in the grease ' but externaly some storage pitting 2&1/2 Drams & the 500 grains Sharpe's 'Bailley Bullet never shot beyond 900 yards but nicer to carry hunting . But then I fed it 15 grains a slightly oily rag & a naked revolver ball for the expected Spruce Grouse & Frankolin ? ' Fool hens' .That I faced down a horny Bull moose with this ill suited load is a interesting tale . but a digression . This was British Columbia in the 70s. Shot it in 46 below one Sunday 8 shots in a quarry, till I could no longer hold it or cap .
Rudyard

Th
And you like the Pedrrsoli mold? Any comments or complaints, tips? Its certsinly cheaper tjan some. Thinking about it.
The Pedersoli mold is the only hex mold I have ever used. The bullets fit my bore, others have had problems I think with tighter bores. Once again I know very little compared to a lot of shooters here.

After acquiring a Parker Hale Whitworth I am convinced of two things (1) The legendary tales of exceptional accuracy are utterly true. (2) The use of trick bullets is not required.
I acquired the rifle with no accessories. By simply using 550 grain bullets cast of 20-1 lead as used in my BPCR .45-70 properly sized, I achieved astonishing accuracy for a muzzle loading rifle.

Could someone please explain the difference between Rigby and Henry rifling in the P-H Volunteer rifles?

Back