• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I finally got my belly full of shootin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Friday was a banner day for me, my two new blk powder revolvers came in a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy in .44 cal, and an Uberti 1862 Police model in .36 cal, as well as my Dr
per scribed specticals, now both the sights and target are crystal clear. That was the signal to light up the property, and that I did in spades. I set up my handy dandy foldin table, my radio, and a hot thermos of strong blk coffee. I pulled out my Heritage big bore .45 Colt, my Uberti 1873 Cattleman Birdshead revolver .357 ,my 1892 Winchester in .45 Colt, and the new 1851 Colt Navy. I shot the cawboy guns first, then ended the session (4 1/2 hrs) with the new Colt 1851 Navy, I really didn’t know where to start as far as a load, I’ve got 5 lbs of FFG for my rifles, but only a jar of Pyrodex “P” for the revolvers, so I used a 25 grn load behind a .454 ball. That Navy at 15 yards shot right at point of aim, that really made my day. Before I started shootin the Navy I had those steel plates just a singin, and a jigglin, but I wasn’t sure I could end the day like that, but that new Navy didn’t let me down, a brand new gun, 30 shots, 30 dings, that’s pretty good, it sure put a big s#*t eatin grin on this ugly ole face. Now after 4 1/2 hrs of shootin, 300 smokeless rnds and 30 blk powder rnds, I’m beat, but I wanted to keep shootin the Navy, but it was sooo gunked up I had to stop to get er all cleaned up.

Friday was a banner day for me, my two new blk powder revolvers came in a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy in .44 cal, and an Uberti 1862 Police model in .36 cal, as well as my Dr
per scribed specticals, now both the sights and target are crystal clear. That was the signal to light up the property, and that I did in spades. I set up my handy dandy foldin table, my radio, and a hot thermos of strong blk coffee. I pulled out my Heritage big bore .45 Colt, my Uberti 1873 Cattleman Birdshead revolver .357 ,my 1892 Winchester in .45 Colt, and the new 1851 Colt Navy. I shot the cawboy guns first, then ended the session (4 1/2 hrs) with the new Colt 1851 Navy, I really didn’t know where to start as far as a load, I’ve got 5 lbs of FFG for my rifles, but only a jar of Pyrodex “P” for the revolvers, so I used a 25 grn load behind a .454 ball. That Navy at 15 yards shot right at point of aim, that really made my day. Before I started shootin the Navy I had those steel plates just a singin, and a jigglin, but I wasn’t sure I could end the day like that, but that new Navy didn’t let me down, a brand new gun, 30 shots, 30 dings, that’s pretty good, it sure put a big s#*t eatin grin on this ugly ole face. Now after 4 1/2 hrs of shootin, 300 smokeless rnds and 30 blk powder rnds, I’m beat, but I wanted to keep shootin the Navy, but it was sooo gunked up I had to stop to get er all cleaned up.
With the right lube on felt wads and and arbor you should be able to get at least 60 shots between cleanings, and I usually get close to a hundred if I want to shoot that much in one session.
I almost never shoot that much because loading 70 or more shots is a lot of work as far as BP shooting goes.

Yeah after all that my age took over, I was ready for a nap, but what lube do you use? I just had a bunch of left over felt wads from Cabelas, and swabbed the bore at the beginning of the shootin with bore butter. It seemed to have the worst failing where the hammer hit the nipples, the whole front of the hammer, and on both sides of the frame where the hammer hits the nipples, the gun would be hard to cock unless you pushed the hammer slightly forward then it would cock easily. I’d love to be able to shoot 60 rnds out of that gun in one session. After I got her all cleaned up she was fine.

I've long used Crisco lard in the mouth of the chambers, over the seated ball - it keeps the fouling loosey-goosey after shooting all day.

So loose that it makes clean up a snap...….

Like they say: Smokem if ya gottem

The worse day shooting is better than the best day doing just about anything else.

Its soul food. Like Grace Slick says: Feed your head

Back