• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I finally got him

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been chasing this guy for 3 years.
The red gods were smiling down on me.
I got him with my 28 gauge (.54 caliber) that I bought here last year from a member.

He weighed 19.6 pounds.
Double beard.
Longest one us 8 1/2inches and the shorter one is 7 3/4 inches.
20210519_090155.jpg
20210519_090312.jpg
20210519_090345.jpg
20210519_090413.jpg

Nice! Great looking Flinter as well.

We had a tom about that big when we had a ranch in the gold country foothills. Kids wouldn't let me get him as he would come down and viciously attack his reflection in our truck bumpers for hours. Even dog was afraid of him!!

Wait a minute, I thought some said the small bores are no good!

Good for you sir 👏.
How far wad he and what was your loading?

B.

I had managed to get between him and a hen that were in the roost.
She came out of the roost and a couple of minutes later he flew down and followed her.
I gave a few soft clucks and low and behold he was practically in my lap.
Before the smoke cleared I could hear him flopping.
Paced it off at 12 yards.

I loaded 65 grain FF and 1 oz #6 shot.

I had managed to get between him and a hen that were in the roost.
She came out of the roost and a couple of minutes later he flew down and followed her.
I gave a few soft clucks and low and behold he was practically in my lap.
Before the smoke cleared I could hear him flopping.
Paced it off at 12 yards.

I loaded 65 grain FF and 1 oz #6 shot.

Beautiful! Congratulations Chuck. Isn't it wonderful when things work out?

Happy for you, Skychief.

Wait a minute, I thought some said the small bores are no good!

Good for you sir 👏.
How far wad he and what was your loading?

B.
To me it is one of the real advantages of a muzzleloader. In the unmentionables the largest (common) load in 28 gauge is 7/8 ounce, but in a muzzleloader you can get away with an ounce in a 28 gauge. I suppose there’s a limit somewhere for safety.

To me it is one of the real advantages of a muzzleloader. In the unmentionables the largest (common) load in 28 gauge is 7/8 ounce, but in a muzzleloader you can get away with an ounce in a 28 gauge. I suppose there’s a limit somewhere for safety.
The limit is the muzzle. After that the shot just spills to the ground.

Congratulations. Nice bird and with a smoke pole- I'm thinking about trying my 58 Zouave with shot and wad for turkey. Will have to pattern.

Great photos.

Mike

Back