• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I don't understand used gun pricing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many retailers will not ship any gun now. Any if you are referring to new modern guns, paperwork is required. I have seen Blackhawk revolvers go way over new price at estate sales thanks to no forms or background.

Yep, God forbid private sales have to provide "paperwork" to zah Gestapo!!!

Mike

Some looking to save a buck
Some looking to make a buck
I fault nor attempt to regulate either as I find myself switching roles regularly.....
Buying used aka pre-owned guns online ain't for everyone. Some are best served buying new from a Dealer or big box store.
Individual trading and sales are best for those with experience , that experience costs money to learn..
Enjoy but Caveat Emptor has always been the rule. I would say to the post title , ismply don't play a game you don't understand.

Last edited:
Remember, the basic rule is the law of supply and demand. If there is an abundance of something and no demand for it you are compelled to sell it at a low price. If an item is scarce, but there is a big demand for it it can be sold at a premium. Another law is - you can ask anything for something. Getting someone to buy it could be the problem.----- Danny Divito, as Louie Lapalma on the TV sitcom "Taxi" once said it best. --- If you name a price too high no one will buy it. If you name a price too low people will think you are stupid, but they will buy it. However, somewhere in the middle is the magic number that enables you to know you got the best deal. When people see your price it makes them shudder, but the still buy it.

All guns are high. Stopped into Morgantown WV on way to Fla turkey hunting last week and looked at their used gun rack. Browning BLR lever action in 243 was a tad under 1500$ and a Remington 22 semi, not sure if the model was 800$.... both about 3 times what I would have considered paying..
And no I don’t kill a turkey in Fla! About to give up on that state!

All guns are high. Stopped into Morgantown WV on way to Fla turkey hunting last week and looked at their used gun rack. Browning BLR lever action in 243 was a tad under 1500$ and a Remington 22 semi, not sure if the model was 800$.... both about 3 times what I would have considered paying..
And no I don’t kill a turkey in Fla! About to give up on that state!
[/QUOTE]

Neither of which are "turkey guns" so . . . the State's too conservative for you?!

Mike

Dang! I hope you’re not talking about mine! ;-)

It’s inflation caused by Covid, Biden, Harris, Putin or a mean tweet from Donald Trump. Take your pick…
Pricing is one thing ( supply and demand ).
A false description of condition is another.

I've been thinking about this too and here's what I don't exactly get, and I do not mean to be provocative, it is a sincere question: I get why the price of some TC guns are high, they have a great reputation and can no longer be obtained in any fashion. There have been two listings on this site recently, both still active as far as I know- and both by members that I really respect and do not want to offend- for Investarm guns that are literally 30 years old or older and are asking over $400. Since Investarm is still in business and I can get a brand new gun for around $500, why would it be reasonable to price a used Investarm for $400? - If either gun had been priced at say, $250 or something like that, I would probably have jumped at them, but at 400 or 450, I thought to myself, just buy a new one because age does matter in some ways! - So what am I misunderstanding about the situation?

Last edited:
Listing price doesn’t always equate with sale price. Also it is easier to ask more and come down than raise the price if you are a motivated seller.
I’m trying to sell my pickup right now. I’m asking at the high end of the market but don’t need to sell right away and it gives me room to negotiate if needed.

I have seen similar situations where you could buy the gun brand new, and it’s used and in new shape but they are asking the same price as a new one. Seems unlikely anyone would buy it. Because some guns are hard to find new right now, people are trying to get more for the used ones just because it’s simply available. Offer what you think it’s worth and move on if they don’t like the offer
I too have seen a gun available on Midway and the same gun in used condition on GB. The one on GB was higher priced in bidding than just outright buying a brand new one? Maybe I'm missing something here. :doh:

There is a revolver in the for sale forum that is described as a like new in box. Has scratches and bunged up screw head and has been fired. How is that like new in box? It is priced like a new gun. I don't get it. I have seen other instances of used revolvers for sale that are well used and are advertised as priced as a new gun. Is it me? Is it because of Covid inflation pricing? Just venting I guess.
Remember one of the basic retail laws --- the law of supply and demand. If there is ample supply and a low demand the price will be low to sell the item. If the supply is low and the demand is high the price will be high. As always, people can ask any amount they desire. The buyer usually has the upper hand because if the price is too high they will walk away. Always remember that.

I
I've been thinking about this too and here's what I don't exactly get, and I do not mean to be provocative, it is a sincere question: I get why the price of some TC guns are high, they have a great reputation and can no longer be obtained in any fashion. There have been two listings on this site recently, both still active as far as I know- and both by members that I really respect and do not want to offend- for Investarm guns that are literally 30 years old or older and are asking over $400. Since Investarm is still in business and I can get a brand new gun for around $500, why would it be reasonable to price a used Investarm for $400? - If either gun had been priced at say, $250 or something like that, I would probably have jumped at them, but at 400 or 450, I thought to myself, just buy a new one because age does matter in some ways! - So what am I misunderstanding about the situation?
It is worth more than original if the gun is refinished in a superior way as in finish/sanding many coats of what ever and draw filed /blued to make up for original and use defects . Anyone can improve factory with more time/labor and the will /skill to make up for factory (at times) less than steller effort /Ed

Many people will claim their gun is “like new in box” or “appears unfired” simply because it doesn’t have noticeable rust in the chambers or bore, despite handling marks, turn lines on cylinders, finish loss, etc.

It is quite annoying. Poor quality pictures and obvious attempts to conceal wear are red flags for me.

Back