• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Don't Know How To Explain My Pouch Stitching Style.....So.....Pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Like the title says, I don't know how to explain the type of stitching I use to make my pouches so here are some pictures.

I'd like to make a possibles bag using the same gusset and stitching style.

I want some kind of inner fabric but I ain't no seamstress and I can't run a sewing machine.

So how about an industrial spray adhesive? Is there such an animal? I figured on laminating the leather and fabric. Then cut the bag pieces into shapes, punch holes for the lacing and start stitching.

As always, any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2719.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 0
I use 3M Super 77 when I need a spray adhesive. It is some strong stuff. I use it to hold carpet down on aluminum boat seats and it holds up good. Im not sure about it bleeding through your pillow ticking or whatever fabric that you may use though. I wouldn't be afraid to use it but I would get a scrap piece and try it out first. I would cut the fabric the same size as the leather, spray the adhesive and stick it down. Your stiching will go through both the leather and the fabric so there wouldn't be any scare of the edges delaminating. Wear some gloves and throw them away when you get done spraying or that stuff will be all over your finished side of your bag from handling it. You can get it at any blue or orange store. You can use simple fabric or leather glue too though and I bet it would hold up just fine. It's just a white glue that is surprisingly strong.
Hobby stores will have that

I use 3M Super 77 when I need a spray adhesive. It is some strong stuff. I use it to hold carpet down on aluminum boat seats and it holds up good. Im not sure about it bleeding through your pillow ticking or whatever fabric that you may use though. I wouldn't be afraid to use it but I would get a scrap piece and try it out first. I would cut the fabric the same size as the leather, spray the adhesive and stick it down. Your stiching will go through both the leather and the fabric so there wouldn't be any scare of the edges delaminating. Wear some gloves and throw them away when you get done spraying or that stuff will be all over your finished side of your bag from handling it. You can get it at any blue or orange store. You can use simple fabric or leather glue too though and I bet it would hold up just fine. It's just a white glue that is surprisingly strong.
Hobby stores will have that
I have used this product often with good results, no bleed thru with most fabrics. Note if you follow directions on the can this stuff will "grab" on contact with no adjusting so I leave the fabric oversize and trim after contact. Cover your work surface as overspray will remain for a long time.

I line every bag I make unless the client instructs otherwise. Spray adhesive works well but I quit using it early on. I prefer Barge All Purpose Cement because using a tongue depressor or popsicle stick to spread it I can control precisely where it goes unlike spraying an adhesive, in addition to having full control over how thick it is applied, which I apply as thin as possible because this stuff sticks tenaciously to what ever it is applied to. It has more body to it than spray adhesive so it will not bleed through as easily as the thinner spray adhesives unless you glop it on to excess. Despite the word cement in it's name it remains supple after curing.
IMG_0426.jpg

I have used contact cement and good old Elmers glue to good effect. Be aware that if you line a bag with cloth you normally need to wrap the edges, see Tacitus's bag above.

Also I make them both ways, thicker leather I do not line normally, thinner leather the cloth adds strength and keeps the leather from stretching.

The more bags you make the better you will get at it.

Tacitus, you do really nice work. That ticking liner has aged to perfection. Reminds me of the old pillows in my grandma's house... decades of drool, sweat and grandpa's hair grease ('Dapper Dan' maybe?).
Thank you Songwriter, that is my goal. The bag pictured is brand new. I give them an aged used look during construction.

Do you have the name of a great product with a track record?
My only experience with a spray contact cement is a few times I needed the stuff at work and that was the 3M 77 like two others have mentioned. Each application seemed to be reliable for a couple years. You have to be prepared for the mess that over-spray can cause, but that's just a matter of covering/protecting the areas.
For personal use and in applications I may need for "crafts" I use Barge like @Tacitus and for the same reasons he states in post #10,, I have items that are decades old cemented with Barge and it's still holding! đź‘Ť

Your post inspired me to get off my rump and make a new bag for my smoothbore as Ive been wanting one for it. I used 77 for the lining in mine just to be able to post here and say it's good to go. It worked perfect with no bleed through. I sprayed the leather and the ticking and let it tack a few minutes. I posted it in the Craftsman section if you want to see it. Just protect from overspray and you will be fine

I’ve been doing leatherwork for the last ten years and have made a lot of bags. I’ve gotten to like a a gusseted and double welted seam. I didn’t invent this. There is a YouTube leatherworker, I believe called the leatherman who inspired me. I line the flap with the same leather to add some stiffness and weight. Everything is hand punched and hand sewn. I use dinner plates for forms. There is always an interior pocket large enough to hold a flint pouch. I like the look of the fabric lined pouches, but never really researched them. Just do what I do.

Attachments

• IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 0
Back