• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I De-farbed my Piettta 1862 Spiller & Burr.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I De-farbed my Piettta 1862 Spiller & Burr replica revolver. Made a video, how do yaàll think it became?
Did I simply ruin it? Or is it radical looking now? Radical Rebel, yeah that suits me fine. I like it after the de-farbing.
I do not know if I need to, but I posted a message in the old tread as well as start this new one.
I am of course interested in your honest opinions..?

What you have done is to antique the S&B or give it a patina. Defarbing means removing any modern stampings, adding correct markings and correcting any other inaccuracies. A gun can be defarbed and have a factory new finish applied or it can be aged to any degree. Unfortunately the Pietta and other brand copies of the S&B have a number of issues that would make turning one into a completely accurate copy a major undertaking, far beyond what most would consider a reasonable amount of work. I do like your work and thanks for sharing it and your other revolvers as a video.

What you have done is to antique the S&B or give it a patina. Defarbing means removing any modern stampings, adding correct markings and correcting any other inaccuracies. A gun can be defarbed and have a factory new finish applied or it can be aged to any degree. Unfortunately the Pietta and other brand copies of the S&B have a number of issues that would make turning one into a completely accurate copy a major undertaking, far beyond what most would consider a reasonable amount of work. I do like your work and thanks for sharing it and your other revolvers as a video.
Defarbing or antiquing, the difference is not that obvious for a Norwegian who has English / American as a second languish. Thank you for making it clear! I did not remove all the markings but I did file them down a little. Not sure if it shows properly in the video.

I do not know the answer but the question that comes to my mind with your location and regulations ..can you actually remove proof house stamps, black powder only declarations etc because that is what you would do to a fully defarbed replica BP gun

Bear
That is exactly why I did not remove them, but just made them less visible! I belief it will be all good as long as the #number is still visible.

I will see if I have some letter stamping tools. I would like to stamp the letters CS on the brass frame- Down left front was the placement on a few of the originals. Yeah, DIXIE for ewer, and the South will rise again!

Latest posts

Back