• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I can't get my new uberti Walker apart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkItZero

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Took my rand new uberti Walker out today for the first time. Upon receiving it I was unable to separate the barrel from the frame at all, even though I was able to get the wedge out.

Now I am able to pull the barrel away from the frame but can't get it all the way off.

How do I deal with this?
Also in the event I can't fix this today how I do I insure that the gun does not corrode over night as I can't clean it currently?

The photo shows how far apart it will come.
IMG_20210110_154206781.jpg

My Uberti Dragoon was same way. Found out before shooting. Even trying to twist it made it worse. Was able to tap it with a plastic mallet till it came apart.
Once it came apart I used black marker on the arbor to find the interference and very lightly went over the areas with a fine file till it would function as it should.

I think putting some light oil like WD-40, 3 in 1 or similar thin oils on the arbor and in the wedge slot and then rotating the barrel back and forth will allow it to be worked off.

Once that is done, check out the area around the wedge slot. Most likely, it has some burrs or high areas around it. If it does, use a fine tooth flat file or a piece of black wet/dry sandpaper to sand the area.

As for the case where the gun won't come apart, coat all of the surfaces that have fouling on them with the same light oil. It will protect the steel from rust until you get time to work on the gun again.

I also had a heck of a time removing the barrel from the frame of my brand new Walker (one month old). I had to use a rawhide mallet to separate the two. Smacking the top interface between barrel and cylinder then on the ram rod alternating between the two areas before it released the barrel from the arbor/frame. I never seen this before and I have over 15 BP revolvers.

I've removed hard-to-remove barrels via rotating the cylinder until the web between chambers in under the loading plunger, giving the plunger support - then leverage the bbl off with the loading lever.

Had another manufacturers early production 1851 that couldn't come apart. The parts had been forced together at the factory and the wedge forced in distorting the arbor (made me think of an expanding concrete anchor bolt). Took a long time to get it apart and to reshape the arbor. Now it's a humdinger of a fine shooting revolver and probably has the tightest barrel fit they ever produced. Hope they gave the big guy with the mallet a raise.

Back