• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I can see, I can see!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on your new found sight. I was going to have lasik surgery but the doctor said my far sight would get better and my close sight would get worse. As a tool and die maker I need my close up sight so I didn’t have it done.

I used this for the last couple of years but it only fits one of my guns and I have 8 others (I think). I bent the metal to give me a perfect sight picture for my beck rifle, I made a few more but it is a pain get them bent just right plus they are held in place by one lock bolt and may shift if bumped hard enough. I didn't want to drill another hole in my tangs, then have surgery and not need the peeps.

This peep looks good, the rifle, not so much, my first build with 15 years' worth of rough hunting in the thick woods and privet choked creek bottoms. It is a bit shop worn but sure puts the deer on the ground.

peep done mounted.JPG

I used thinner metal on this one for my Haines rifle, it looks cheesy and doesn't have the rock-solid attachment of the peep shown above because the hole countersink is thin and doesn't have the tang bolt head purchase of the thicker sight.

haines lock.JPG

Last edited:
I used this for the last couple of years but it only fits one of my guns and I have 8 others (I think). I bent the metal to give me a perfect sight picture for my beck rifle, I made a few more but it is a pain get them bent just right plus they are held in place by one lock bolt and may shift if bumped hard enough. I didn't want to drill another hole in my tangs, then have surgery and not need the peeps.

This peep looks good, the rifle, not so much, my first build with 15 years' worth of rough hunting in the thick woods and privet choked creek bottoms. It is a bit shop worn but sure puts the deer on the ground.

View attachment 165646

I used thinner metal on this one for my Haines rifle, it looks cheesy and doesn't have the rock-solid attachment of the peep shown above because the hole countersink is thin and doesn't have the tang bolt head purchase of the thicker sight.

View attachment 165648
I saw your post (or a post) on these a couple years ago. I’ve made a couple and they work great. I agree that you need a second point of attachment to keep things from moving.

The first question I asked my surgeon before I got too relaxed from the drugs during the procedure was "when can I shoot my big bore flintlock rifles", he replied, "Friday Oct 7th", I am counting the days down.

I should add; I haven't been able to see my rifle sights for the last 10 years, my eyesight took a down turn when I was about 65, at first it was my reduced focal length then it was my cataracts.

Last edited:
I got mine done 2 years ago. I got the multi-focal length progressive lenses- which was a $4000 upgrade per eye. My vision was 20/250-20/80 (L-R) and 20/25 and 20/20 afterwards. As your eyes heal and adjust to the new lenses over the next 3-4 months it will continue to improve. I likened the "before" picture to looking through a very very dirty windshield. Lots and lots of yellow-amber in there. The color shift was amazing to me. Particularly in the blues and greens, but also the vividness and sharpness. Because of the multi-focal lenses I don't need glasses to read or to see at distance.

Once I got my first eye done (the left which was the worst) I noticed a significant degradation in my depth perception (because I am right eye dominant) until the right got done a couple of weeks later. I also got really lucky on the timing, because they got done in early and mid February (2020) and March 1 everything got shut down in the elective surgery area (cataract surgery is considered elective) due to covid.

When I went in to the eye doctor afterwards I wanted to anoint his feet with oil, because he said after working on me, that his next appointment was to do something at a leper colony.

I got mine done 2 years ago. I got the multi-focal length progressive lenses- which was a $4000 upgrade per eye. My vision was 20/250-20/80 (L-R) and 20/25 and 20/20 afterwards. As your eyes heal and adjust to the new lenses over the next 3-4 months it will continue to improve. I likened the "before" picture to looking through a very very dirty windshield. Lots and lots of yellow-amber in there. The color shift was amazing to me. Particularly in the blues and greens, but also the vividness and sharpness. Because of the multi-focal lenses I don't need glasses to read or to see at distance.

Once I got my first eye done (the left which was the worst) I noticed a significant degradation in my depth perception (because I am right eye dominant) until the right got done a couple of weeks later. I also got really lucky on the timing, because they got done in early and mid February (2020) and March 1 everything got shut down in the elective surgery area (cataract surgery is considered elective) due to covid.

When I went in to the eye doctor afterwards I wanted to anoint his feet with oil, because he said after working on me, that his next appointment was to do something at a leper colony.

I’m 12+ years out since I had my cataract surgeries. My experience was similar Col. Batguano with the lense upgrade. In the intervening years my eyes have degraded a bit and I now use minor corrective glasses for driving and shooting. I also sometimes need reading glasses in low light. Still, I wore full time glasses since I was six or seven and don’t have to now.

People don't realize how much better you can see once the cataracts are removed. My opthamalogist calls it "white page effect" - you have one eye done ata time - when one eye is done and you look at a piece of white paper one eye at a time, you realize how bad your eyes were before cataract surgery! I could hardly believe how white and bright the paper looked without the cataracts! Congratulations on successful procedure - things will normally change a bit for 4-6 months afterward.
I had same experience; would keep covering one eye then the next, to "see" the amazing difference! I love modern medical technology! (To a point!)

I am glad that you had your surgery to get your eyes back. I have had the cataract procedure done with great success. It was a very easy change from almost blind to 20/20 in both eyes. Then I dislocated my left shoulder and have not fully recovered the use of it. Getting old sucks !

Glad to hear your surgery was successful , can't think of anything worse than eye sight loss! :thumb:
I can think of one or two😅
Eric I was told I have cataract in my right eye last October, and I had a string of misses with my trusty flinter that I could not explain but I knew my vision was worse.
I will start down this road (after hunting season) and hope for similar results.
Thanks for posting and good for you!

Had cataracts removed from both eyes this summer. It took over 3 months to complete because of complications but thank God for good surgeons because it was worth every minute.

I am 75. I actually got out of muzzle loading because I could nor see the sights. Surgery years ago did not let me focus. While shooting a pistol not long ago I tried 1.25x reading glasses. Wow. I could see the sights perfecfly, target just a tad fuzzy. Tried it on a rifle, works just as well. Immediately ordered a new flint lock and now I'm back!

I can think of one or two😅
Eric I was told I have cataract in my right eye last October, and I had a string of misses with my trusty flinter that I could not explain but I knew my vision was worse.
I will start down this road (after hunting season) and hope for similar results.
Thanks for posting and good for you!
You won't regret it. Best thing I've done for myself in many years. I didn't realise how bad it was until I fixed it.

I am 75. I actually got out of muzzle loading because I could nor see the sights. Surgery years ago did not let me focus. While shooting a pistol not long ago I tried 1.25x reading glasses. Wow. I could see the sights perfecfly, target just a tad fuzzy. Tried it on a rifle, works just as well. Immediately ordered a new flint lock and now I'm back!
good for you.

Interesting discussion. To "see" another discussion concerning sights, age and marksmanship check out this thread. Thread 'I can see, I can see!' I can see, I can see!

Of course I believe most folks on this forum would have a different opinion of what a muzzleloading rifle really is!

Pirates On is correct. Just like on the traditional archery forums, g there is a never ending discussion as to what traditional is. Hers it seems we have almost as many comments about what a real muzzleloader is. Everything from sights to shape of stocks. Not sure that is a bad thing. I learn something from each thread.

I have found that the thread counters on these boards can be downright caustic if you chose to follow a path that is not exactly period correct to their standards.

As I walked around the last big encampment looking at the guy's equipment, I noticed that 4 out of 5 of the diehard Buckskinners had bought their rifles instead of making their own, TVM rifles were in abundance. Almost of the guys I talked to were as nice as could be, I ran into one guy who picked my rifle build apart (my first build) and pointed out all its flaws. I asked him to look at the rifle he made, it was an abomination, everything was very poorly inletted, I could have made a better rifle had I hacked it out with a hatchet, even so he was quick with the criticism of my rifle.

In my case I just happen to like flintlock rifles, fowlers and osage bows, except for a few rifles and one trade gun that were given to me by great friends. I made all the guns and bows I use but I don't dress the part, I don't wear camo, just drab street clothes. My focus is putting meat in the freezer with equipment that I made, I think there is room for a full spectrum of involvement in our sport.

I do get a weird feeling when I see a scope on a sidelock rifle, then again, almost 50 years ago I briefly had one on a TC Renegade I put together with a Green River barrel as well as a Senica (a long eye relief scope that TC sold). I didn't like them so I took them off but I can't criticize anyone who needs one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back