• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I can’t stand this....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you grew up on a large enough piece of property, your favorite blind was always dad’s pick-up.

I prefer ladder stands if I can’t still hunt (and in Texas you really can’t much unless it has rained for a strait week) but this morning I’m in the ground blind that is semi permanently installed on my place for my two sons, 12 & 9.

The feeder is at 65 yards. And I will admit that on rainy mornings like today I don’t mind being out of the wind and dry!

View attachment 52156View attachment 52157View attachment 52158
Crown Royal bag is a nice touch.

The color did look familiar.

William Smith makes muzzle loading accessories for sale and he always sends them in the blue bags.

Mostly swatting mosquitoes in the garbage swamp that is Mississippi ;)
PXL_20201127_132633125.PORTRAIT-01.jpeg

when it is eaten, do you have too serve APPLE SAUCE WITH IT? as with domestic pig? and cook it rely well too get rid of TRICKANOSES?

Yes. You would think cooking it would kill them all. S'pose its an upbringing thing. Like I wouldn't eat a rabbit with myxi.
"WOULDN'T EAT A RABBIT" WOW! Rabbit is the best meat on the planet! If the good Lord made anything better he kepted it for himself?

My favorite place to hunt from is my kitchen window. Trick is not to catch the swivel base on the windows sash. .54s have a tendency to take them out. 😄

View attachment 52431

Cobra 6

We had been in our house "in the holler" about a month (nearest neighbor is over half mile away) and it's the morning after Christmas. My stepdaughter is home from college and she and my wife are drinking coffee while looking out the front French doors. They both announce "oh look, there are two deer out front".

In less that a minute, my wife has thrown her coffee up in the air and it's all over the floor.

Don't tell me there are deer out front and not expect me to grab a rifle...

While I do take a lot of pictures in the field, I take very few of or off of stands. When I'm sitting, I hate to move so taking pictures doesn't happen much. Unfortunately, most of my favorite hunting spots are off limits now. In "the old days" where I grew up, everyone hunted everywhere and no one cared as long as it was done respectfully. Now everything is posted and leased so most of my old spots are inaccessible any time of the year. But, I do have a couple of stand/blind pics with results I can share from the lease I was on for seven years.

This one was a huge old oak tree with a large crotch in it that someone previously on the lease had built a very small wood platform and seat on. It was on the edge of a steep hillside and had an old ATV trail going past it that deer liked to travel. In addition, there were trails going up and down the hill that intersected the ATV trail on each side of the stand. The picture from the stand was from a different hunt than when I shot the deer, hence the different guns in the pics...same stand though. Loved the "knot" on the side of the tree for a gun rest.

31991372627_5974766f3b_c.jpg

One morning during late muzzleloader season I had a group of does come up the hill but about 100 yards down the ridge. They worked my way but angled into a thicket above me. But one doe hung a bit lower and only went into the bottom of the thicket coming out on one of the trails going down the hill which was on the other side of the tree. I had to get the 44" barrel off the knot and up and around the tree trunk to get lined up on her at about 25 yards. She made a mad dash down hill on that trail for about 30 yards, then cut 90 degrees left and went around the hillside. Short trail to her. The stand was only about 125 yards from the century old farm house that was on the property we stayed in when there.

46932355761_2513f93222_c.jpg

46932356861_927896b96f_c.jpg

46932357431_bf7b32b9e2_c.jpg

I don't have a picture of the stand, but this food plot was heaven to hunt. The stand was in the bigger tree to the right of the big buck.

37099271610_2e2e36c416_c.jpg

That little plot was also a great place for turkey. This photo was approximately the view I would have sitting next to a brush pile at one corner of the little plot.

31991375787_b1b8ab97c3_c.jpg

This natural blind was a favorite of mine. I could nestle down into this set of blowdowns in my turkey chair, but peek out between the cracks to see deer coming. Trails were in front, behind, and on the sides of it. One morning at nearly 20 below zero F, a group of does worked their way about 30 yards above the "blind" on the hill side. I had to get turned around, kneel in my chair, and use the blow-down trunk behind me to rest the gun on. My hands almost froze gutting that one!

37099283230_6e8a88e150_c.jpg

37099283190_800bb28de6_c.jpg

37308113496_c5acdc4042_c.jpg

Another from the nose bleed section....
21’ to the seat on this one.

I added a little backwoods bracing, just too make it fat boy proof....

01020205-3-FED-488-C-ACD6-37-B84828-F3-F9.png

Actually, you might have been thinking of Tularemia , commonly called "rabbit fever".
People can get it from rabbits.

One of the things to look for when dressing out a rabbit is white spots on the liver. If they are there, wash everything that has touched that rabbit and bury the rabbit.
Tularemia is potentially deadly to people so the last thing anyone would want to do is to get it.
I think most hunters are aware of this disease but a newcomer to hunting who hasn't grown up around other hunters may not know about it and how to recognize it.

when it is eaten, do you have too serve APPLE SAUCE WITH IT? as with domestic pig? and cook it rely well too get rid of TRICKANOSES?
Cooked through, well done, will kill trich, not so much in American domestic pig but in Mexico and the Philippines I made sure it was cooked through.
Pigs I’ve raised myself the same.rabbits coon beaver squirrel, woodchuck could all make you sick if not cooked through.
Salting also sterilizes the meat. But I cook that till done also.
I like it on the smoker all day, or in the oven. Pork stews are pretty good, Goloach is pretty tasty in wild hog.

Last edited:
Actually, you might have been thinking of Tularemia , commonly called "rabbit fever".
People can get it from rabbits.

One of the things to look for when dressing out a rabbit is white spots on the liver. If they are there, wash everything that has touched that rabbit and bury the rabbit.
Tularemia is potentially deadly to people so the last thing anyone would want to do is to get it.
I think most hunters are aware of this disease but a newcomer to hunting who hasn't grown up around other hunters may not know about it and how to recognize it.
HI Zonie
Thank you but I mean Myxi. The Rabbits have swollen pussy eyes and as the disease worsens they develop large open sores and become emaciated. Looks downright gross.
So if I shoot a rabbit (none here anyway) with eyes that look out of sorts I won't touch it.
I have never heard of Tularemia so looked it up. Seems it is new to this part of the world and is in possums but not rabbits yet. First case in humans was 2011.

Back