• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I can’t stand this....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you grew up on a large enough piece of property, your favorite blind was always dad’s pick-up.

I prefer ladder stands if I can’t still hunt (and in Texas you really can’t much unless it has rained for a strait week) but this morning I’m in the ground blind that is semi permanently installed on my place for my two sons, 12 & 9.

The feeder is at 65 yards. And I will admit that on rainy mornings like today I don’t mind being out of the wind and dry!

882A5B9E-2EA2-4491-B7D7-297942CD6A0C.jpeg
898FE5BD-546D-4750-96CD-0ACDA6ECD7C1.jpeg
D4A97124-2399-4DF9-8F8B-0D71C5BBD90B.jpeg

Going along with the guy in the terrier story, some years ago I was hunting off of a road that was cut to log a chunk of woods. I nested down in an old fallen top that had been left.
The log road made a turnaround about fifteen yards from me.
I hear a pickup coming slowly down the road. A man about fifty driving and a lady a few yeas younger. They stop as they were following the turn around and the lady jumps out of the truck, drops her pants and waters the soil. My orange vest was off and I was sitting on it. I had a indian boxy capote on that had been white candy stripe that I had dyed brown. And a tan stocking cap. My beard was dark red in those days but my face is more the color of a paper plate.
she was looking around somewhat nervously, I bet reliving her self on the road side was not her normal activity. She looked in my direction several times.
she stood, the man handed her some paper napkins and she finished up, pulled up her pants and they drove off.
At first I thought they were road hunting but decided they were just looking for a bit of privacy for her comfort.
as she dropped the napkins to the ground I almost yelled out at her ‘Leave only footprints lady’ but restrained my self. It wasn’t half an hour later till three does came down that road. Two ran off but one came home with me.

I haven't ever hunted from a stand or blind. I have no problem with others doing it. I'm just an old infantryman and prefer hunting at ground level. A ladder stand won't work for me as last week I had to get up on the roof of the garage and trim large branches. I was uncomfortable just going up a good ladder to a roof. Tree stand in the woods isn't in my future. My version of a blind is standing next to something or sitting on the ground.

You don't eat wild pigs here. Too much chances of parasites. But yes it was the lunch fire. Best steak and vegies and get to shoot pigs if they come to the waterhole.
thank you for that information. I though that people paid big $ to hunt razor backs? not the same animal?

thank you for that information. I though that people paid big $ to hunt razor backs? not the same animal?
People do pay money to shoot pigs. Some people eat them and in some places you can. They used to get harvested and exported to Europe through a chiller network. I grew up with the only wild pig you ate was a piglet caught and kept for a while to clean it out.
I think it comes back to the pigs diet and carrion can make the meat unsafe for human consumption.

A razorback is a particular variety of wild pig. They also call these smaller less domesticated variety "Captain Cookers".
Pigs here are a mixed breed with the razorback being closer to the European wild breed and the large pink domesticated breed. As you go North the pigs grow smaller, meaner, darker and have larger tusks as the percentage of Razorback increases and conversely the pigs with the largest body mass have smaller tusks.

You don't eat wild pigs here. Too much chances of parasites. But yes it was the lunch fire. Best steak and vegies and get to shoot pigs if they come to the waterhole.
I would think cooking would rid it of parasites. Bear can be as nasty as pig or coon when it comes to dinner, and I’ve eaten all three.

Never heard of not eating hogs.

They can carry a couple diseases and parasites...but knowing what to look for and cooking them properly eliminates all that and keeps you looking down at the grass.

Now in the summer time the fleas, ticks and sometimes lice aren’t worth some free meat. But in the winter though...you hunt with a knife and a fork in your bag!

Never heard of not eating hogs.

They can carry a couple diseases and parasites...but knowing what to look for and cooking them properly eliminates all that and keeps you looking down at the grass.

Now in the summer time the fleas, ticks and sometimes lice aren’t work some free meat. But in the winter though...you hunt with a knife and a fork in your bag!
If you come here you will hear of it. Don't know what you mean by "keeps you looking at the grass".
Winter in Australia is mild by your standards and summer probably brutal. I am North. No winter. No summer.
Currently it is 8am and 86 degrees. Still cool. It will reach 120 for sure. Good weather for finding pigs.

Is there anything in Australia that IS NOT trying to kill you??

Y’all are tough!
LOL, No we aren't. Don't have anything trying to eat us as long as we stay out of the water.
Was thinking maybe the fact that we have had wild pigs for so much longer than the USA the older generations did not know what to look for so didn't eat them and that has come down to me.
It is interesting that if a wild pig was kept and fed for a few months it was then OK to eat. From this you can deduce it was a concern with their diet.

Latest posts

Back