• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I can’t stand this....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opening day of muzzleloader Saturday. Very nice morning.
scrape2.jpg2.jpg

I love these photos of woodlots. While I have certainly done my share of hunting from elevated stands I don't like heights. So, I use a maximum of 12' to 15' as the absolute. And rabbits always were, IMHO, better than squirrel regardless how they were cooked. But both are tasty. Back in my college days we used a couple of books written by a well known wildlife biologist who died of tularemia. All the rabbits and quite a few squirrels I killed were taken with a pellet rifle. .32 and .36 BP rifles accounted for many squirrels.

This isnt much to look at, but its the view of the area I hunt. Im in my spot that I killed my doe in last Saturday. The uphill shot is to my right. Ive got at least a 75 yard open view in all directions. I hunt from the ground BTW.

The last picture with the small sapling with the orange tape around it is near where the deer stood when I shot it. Someone else had marked that tree a couple years ago but its just by coincidence thats where the deer stopped. You can see how the foliage changes there. It starts to get very thick past that sapling, and thats where all the deer like to go to hide.

Attachments

• 1212201536.jpg
    1212201536.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1212201535.jpg
    1212201535.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1212201540.jpg
    1212201540.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Might that be a Pedersoli 58 double? I would love to hear how you like it and how well it shoots. I had a double 52 caliber 40 years ago and really loved it,
It’s the Pedersoli Classic double in .12 gauge; I’m slowly falling in love with it. Learning to pattern it. I’ve got it patterned for the area in which I hunt with 10 pellets of 00 buck sitting over lubed fiber cushioned wads cut into thirds over 80 grains of FFG. I’ve also been working on .690” lead round balls patched with lubed .015” patches over a lubed wonder wad over 80 grains FFG. It has a fairly tight bore for a .12 it seems. I’ll never have over a 25 yard shot in this area on a deer, and I’ve let several walk this year that were literally right underneath my stand. Finally I worked up a load for squirrel this year; #7 and #8 shot mix loaded just like the 00 buck. I’m still studying and adjusting. It does have the modern choke tubes. Modified and cylinder bore for 00 buck; cylinder bore for the .690” prb and modified for the bird shot mix.

It’s the Pedersoli Classic double in .12 gauge; I’m slowly falling in love with it. Learning to pattern it. I’ve got it patterned for the area in which I hunt with 10 pellets of 00 buck sitting over lubed fiber cushioned wads cut into thirds over 80 grains of FFG. I’ve also been working on .690” lead round balls patched with lubed .015” patches over a lubed wonder wad over 80 grains FFG. It has a fairly tight bore for a .12 it seems. I’ll never have over a 25 yard shot in this area on a deer, and I’ve let several walk this year that were literally right underneath my stand. Finally I worked up a load for squirrel this year; #7 and #8 shot mix loaded just like the 00 buck. I’m still studying and adjusting. It does have the modern choke tubes. Modified and cylinder bore for 00 buck; cylinder bore for the .690” prb and modified for the bird shot mix.
Sounds about right My pedersoli 10 gauge uses three 36 caliber round balls with a 54 caliber on top of 80 grains of 2f. Best of luck.

Back