• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I can’t stand this....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25 years ago a group of us went to east Texas to hunt on a 60,000 acre WMA. Pine trees are unheard of in my world, so I put a tree stand as high as I could go for the best view. According to the number of screw in pegs I used I was about 40 feet up.
When the wind blew I got seasick!

My buddies said before I used the tree stand I needed to file a Flight Plan!!

Here's a picture from my blind, about 10 feet high. The barrel is canted, only way I could aim the Buff Hunter and the camera. A few days later I had him for supper.

20171104_084744.jpg

Does not taste like chicken.......
Oh man that looks GOOD! I all but grew up on squirrel meat...was following my Dad around the woods squirrel hunting (we also used a dog) since I could walk. We always had a freezer full. Mom saved the old cardboard milk cartons and the cut-up chunks went in them, covered with water, and frozen until she was ready to make them up. Her squirrel gravy was the best! And you're right....no resemblance to chicken!

Let's see now...just to stay on topic I have to post a picture of a hunting spot and since the topic is squirrels I have a couple of an outing with my Grandson on his very first squirrel hunt from when he was a LOT smaller (now driving age in a month :eek: )

Grandson spotted the first one before I did. I had taught him to keep an eye out for little bits of snow falling from big tree branches because squirrels often knock a little off even if they are trying to hide, if they move a little bit.

37099272420_dae4105bf9_c.jpg

37099282150_495b5fb5e0_c.jpg

37308112976_bb46abfe4f_c.jpg

37308112536_bfb1036054_c.jpg

37099281640_471b4ff0cd_c.jpg

Great pics Spike, and fond memories for sure..

Your story on growing up was much like mine.
Back then in NW Al., big game sightings were few and far between . Turkeys were non existent.
So small game hunting , fishing and baseball was it....
Along with the 1 1/2 acre garden for the 3 of us... I never did understand, why we needed so much peas and corn..

We hunted dogs for both quail and squirrel, lots of fond memories with my Dad from those times as well.
Down to the Sealtest milk cartons of frozen game.

Like you, now it’s me and the Grandsons, when they find time too come over to hunt.

Hopefully one day they will do the same with their Grandsons & Granddaughters..

Those squirrel & dumplings’ were Fantastic!
We normally do dumplings once or twice a year and have fried squirrel , biscuits & gravy once or twice a year as well.

All this talk about food is making me hungry.....

Another stand location and more camp food.

C0-E56-FA8-B91-E-4-BDC-A713-65361-EDB9213.jpg

Meat & Taters , are hard too beat after a long day in the field.

6-E230-C2-D-C6-DF-41-E2-96-DF-733-AEDCE9-C07.jpg

Last edited:
I shot a deer once and the shot took out both front legs and the heart. The deer wheelbarrowed through about 100 yards of brush that would slow down a rabbit. I was amazed.

Oh man that looks GOOD! I all but grew up on squirrel meat...was following my Dad around the woods squirrel hunting (we also used a dog) since I could walk. We always had a freezer full. Mom saved the old cardboard milk cartons and the cut-up chunks went in them, covered with water, and frozen until she was ready to make them up. Her squirrel gravy was the best! And you're right....no resemblance to chicken!

Let's see now...just to stay on topic I have to post a picture of a hunting spot and since the topic is squirrels I have a couple of an outing with my Grandson on his very first squirrel hunt from when he was a LOT smaller (now driving age in a month :eek: )

Grandson spotted the first one before I did. I had taught him to keep an eye out for little bits of snow falling from big tree branches because squirrels often knock a little off even if they are trying to hide, if they move a little bit.

37099272420_dae4105bf9_c.jpg

37099282150_495b5fb5e0_c.jpg

37308112976_bb46abfe4f_c.jpg

37308112536_bfb1036054_c.jpg

37099281640_471b4ff0cd_c.jpg
what happened to the squirrel hot dog? ate it in the woods. these pictures are precicious!

Back