• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I bought an original SXS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm not going to be holding it as I shoot it. It's no good to me as an ornament. The chip in the threads is the only thing that concerns me. They went together plenty tight. I'll probably take it out tomorrow.

Reactions: smo
Well I'm not going to be holding it as I shoot it. It's no good to me as an ornament. The chip in the threads is the only thing that concerns me. They went together plenty tight. I'll probably take it out tomorrow.
Well I hope everything goes all right good luck and keep safe
Feltwad

The missing threads are at the end of the barrel as it mates to the breech plug. There are at least 4 threads where the barrel, breech plug and bore meet. I do think it will be worth while to test a hunting or the load that would be regularly used to see about any leakage. Pay particular attention to the barrel with the missing threads. An overly heavy test load may damage the shotgun to the point that it is a wall hanger.

I’m appears too have 4 good threads. I was wondering if th gun was made like that or something caused the threads too become damaged.. I can’t tell in the pics , but assume there’s nothing missing on the plug.

The 4 threads of engagement will provide full strength engagement for a light hunting load. Still test first and look for any leakage.
So how much load could you use with 4&1/2 threads?

I dont understand this logic one bit!
It's not a wheel nut subject to all manner of flexing! It's going nowhere. Tape it up and go shooting.

As far as that threaded portion that is missing, it won't hurt anything. Could have been a flaw in the making process that finally gave way. Who knows. Can't speak to the marks/scars further down. I assume they aren't fine cracks that go all the way through. Had a fellow on another forum awhile ago who was trying to sell an antique shotgun. It looked quite nice. Then he noticed a fine line so he filled the barrels with liquid and let sit. Low and behold a short time later it was leaking. I also sent a set of damascus barrels out one time to be refinished. Got a message a short time later saying one barrel had a fine crack in it. Bottom line, inspect the outside of the barrels in that area very carefully.

Last edited:
The problem with the missing threads can only mean a gas leak .I have come across this problem a few times and using plumbers pipe thread will not cure the problem but can cause other problems . The fault is in the plug there is a gas leak in the flash tube from the nipple near the threads at the plug shoulder .
Feltwad

Thanks for the info Felt.. I wasn’t sure if it was from damage or not..
So you’re saying it’s possible the plugs are bad as well? Shouldn’t they sho some type of damage?
It seems strange too me that the plugs were so loose ....to start with.

I have read somewhere that 4 threads were sufficient, but can’t remember where...

Thanks for the info Felt.. I wasn’t sure if it was from damage or not..
So you’re saying it’s possible the plugs are bad as well? Shouldn’t they sho some type of damage?
It seems strange too me that the plugs were so loose ....to start with.

I have read somewhere that 4 threads were sufficient, but can’t remember where...
Yes I would say that the plug is damaged at the shoulder ,has for only 4 threads been ok if that was so then they would have been built with only 4 threads .The most common on only four thread are mostly on the early s/b flinters where the plug and the breech tang are one ,these threads are deep and most are whitworth pitch with a v filed on the face in line with the touch hole through time these do develop a gas leak which burns away the woodwork
Feltwad

I am sure that FELTWAD (as) got it right with the back boring (as) choke was not even thought of when your gun was made. My 1835 double 16g 30 inch shotgun barrels are actually flared at the muzzle a few thou.

I am sure that FELTWAD (as) got it right with the back boring (as) choke was not even thought of when your gun was made. My 1835 double 16g 30 inch shotgun barrels are actually flared at the muzzle a few thou.
And so what if it is? We know it has substance to it by it's weight!

The flare which you mention is mostly due to ramrod ware this can be excessive till the muzzle ends are paper thin this is when they easily become damaged and knocked out of shape but half a inch into the barrel they are back to the bore size, nothing too worry about
Feltwad

Just a thought, maybe have a good Welder drop a sport on that spot and re-tap it.?.

AD

Have owned/inpected/and shot a fair number of original doubles. The loose plug and ither defects give me pause. Unless a camera issue the color of the plugs seems different than the barrels. Is it possible that new plugs were added at some point and for some reason? May just be me but the proof mark on the plugs seems odd as well. Shot considerable trap and hunted with originals but would pass on this one. Sorry.

Vint,
it is most common for the plugs to be a different colour, as they are case-hardened.

My belief on this gun, is that it has fairly recently been fine -bored to remove pitting.
The breech -plugs were maybe somewhat rusty and hard to remove, and were cleaned up, resulting unfortunately in becoming a bit slack.
The flaw in the barrel at the breech could be a welding flaw, undetected when assembled but the loose material coming adrift later, or when 'recently' de-breeched..
Guns of any decent quality were regulated to pattern with the barrel length they had, so a shortened set of barrels May pattern well, or be got to do so, but can not be guaranteed. to do so like in their original length.
Best,
Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back