• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am totally…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent enough years in the military in service of 'this country' whereby I can say anything I want! I could go into a very lengthy discussion to rebut you Old Hawkeye but the forum doesn't need this! You have a good day sir!
Some are so blind about what is happening around them. You speak the truth friend. We have served our Country proudly and will defend her against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.

I gave a friend a pack of Caps yesterday because he was not able to fine any . I told this same guy a few months ago to check his local Walmart because they were showing them in-stock. He waited until this week to look for some with hunting season starting. After I gave them to him he then asked if I would sell him some BP at cost.... I offered him some Pyro that I had for just in case. He bought it from me at my cost . Then he asked if I would cast him some balls if he got me the lead...
I had to explain to him that I was not a store and was helping him out by giving him a pack of caps and sell him some Pyro at 3 year ago prices. I told him he would have to help himself out a little by not waiting until hunting season to get supplies.
But like most people in the BP community would do, I told him I would pour him 100 balls.
After our little conversation, he did remind me that I was the reason why he was planning to hunt with traditional equipment in the first place..
SO I was glad to help..
Great to see others on here willing to help brothers in need!
But isn't it uncool If he shoots the pyro

Yep, we are well into the second great muzzleloader supplies buying panic. Many, if not most, muzzleloader shooters learned nothing from the first panic; they failed to stock up.

i've been helping local hunters and shooters mostly with stuff i will never use. Yesterday i gave away two CVA musket cap nipples and the last of the musket caps. Tomorrow a hunter is coming for a pound of Scheutzen for his flintlock.
Stock up yes!!! The point is we shouldn't have to. Something is afoot across the board.

I did a search for drying wet primers. Not that different from caps. The general consensis is that it works. Try speading them on a tray, open side up, and give them some time with a hair dryer. Lots of warm air but not nearly hot enough to set them off. Nothing to lose by trying and if a good portion of them will fire you can use them for targets. Give it a try and let us know. Some people have used food dehydrators if you have one of those.

Dixie Gun Works has the nipples you need.

Catalog number TR1402 1/4 x 28 lightning fire musket nipple. It’s branded as Traditions but it’s the correct threads and any length difference should be negligible.

Website shows $19.25 In Stock.

I gave a friend a pack of Caps yesterday because he was not able to fine any . I told this same guy a few months ago to check his local Walmart because they were showing them in-stock. He waited until this week to look for some with hunting season starting. After I gave them to him he then asked if I would sell him some BP at cost.... I offered him some Pyro that I had for just in case. He bought it from me at my cost . Then he asked if I would cast him some balls if he got me the lead...
I had to explain to him that I was not a store and was helping him out by giving him a pack of caps and sell him some Pyro at 3 year ago prices. I told him he would have to help himself out a little by not waiting until hunting season to get supplies.
But like most people in the BP community would do, I told him I would pour him 100 balls.
After our little conversation, he did remind me that I was the reason why he was planning to hunt with traditional equipment in the first place..
SO I was glad to help..
Great to see others on here willing to help brothers in need!
Was that "in stock" online? Or did you open your local WM web page and see an aisle listing? My local WM here in Kremlinfornia has nothing related to shooting of any kind except air guns/soft and they're locked up like they're the real deal. Ironically they have 3 pallets of clay pigeons in the mezzanine. Been this way since 08 here.

I have been stockpiling for many years. When I buy caps I vacuum seal them. I place a paper towl in with the caps and write the dates. I use the oldest. Some are more than 10 years old and they go bang every time. I sealed several cans of powder the same way.

Attachments

• 20210913_180601.jpg
    20210913_180601.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Was that "in stock" online? Or did you open your local WM web page and see an aisle listing? My local WM here in Kremlinfornia has nothing related to shooting of any kind except air guns/soft and they're locked up like they're the real deal. Ironically they have 3 pallets of clay pigeons in the mezzanine. Been this way since 08 here.
I had my local Walmart run the SKU # and they were able to tell me what stores had them in stocks for all the stores within 60 miles or so. Every one I personally checked had them . Lots of Walmart stores in the South East carry a small amount of ML supplies, but there is no rhythm or reason to the ones that carry them. They are a seasonal item and cost $5.32 a pack this year.

I wasn't referring to folks like you nor was I talking about mail order. You purchased what was offered. Maybe our (yours and mine) Wallyworld doesn't have any but somebody's did and the person(s) in question bought everything they had.

I used to get my caps at Sportsman's because they were the only store that carried Remington at a decent price (Cabela’s was $2 more). They never stocked more than ten tins. Being in retail most of my life, that sounds about right. Both stores have told me they haven't had caps in two years. So, either there aren’t any available which I doubt or they’re just not stocking them. By the way, the only time I ever took all they had was when they gave me a 10% off coupon for giving a Seminar on Muzzleloaders. I bought the nine packs knowing they’d be getting more in the next week. Of course, this was 10 years ago when supplies were good!

My point was that the manufacturers seem to be catching up on production but when a “Big Box” store does get them in, someone buys all they have perpetuating the shortage.

Walt
What I heard recently and it’s no part of the 87000 armed irs agents but all the other agencies along with the large military contracts they awarded to Winchester for small arms ammunition. So the government is doing a lot of hoarding it seems and we know they are not using it for defense of the southern boarder.

I have been stockpiling for many years. When I buy caps I vacuum seal them. I place a paper towl in with the caps and write the dates. I use the oldest. Some are more than 10 years old and they go bang every time. I sealed several cans of powder the same way.

I have musket caps that I bought in 1977. I've usd a few but the rest sit on a shelf in the original tin. They go bang e every time.

What I heard recently and it’s no part of the 87000 armed irs agents but all the other agencies along with the large military contracts they awarded to Winchester for small arms ammunition. So the government is doing a lot of hoarding it seems and we know they are not using it for defense of the southern boarder.
Joemolf, you are unfortunately very correct. Anyone that doesn't believe this regime doesn't have an evil agenda, is blind to the world around them.

I did a search for drying wet primers. Not that different from caps. The general consensis is that it works. Try speading them on a tray, open side up, and give them some time with a hair dryer. Lots of warm air but not nearly hot enough to set them off. Nothing to lose by trying and if a good portion of them will fire you can use them for targets. Give it a try and let us know. Some people have used food dehydrators if you have one of those.
Black powder can be detonated by heat? I thought it need a spark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back