• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am sure this is an old idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got tired of burning my hands when I blacken steel parts for inletting. My late wife had countless refrigerator magnets now confined to boxes in the basement.

I turned a piece of scrap walnut to the right size and glued a magnet from the collection on it to hold stuff while I blacken it, saves my fingers. It would take a stronger magnet to hold a buttplate or trigger guard but today's project is a trigger plate. The magnet releases easily so putting the part back in the inlet is simple.

magnet metal holder.JPG

I tried a number of transfer methods, but always come back to Persian Blue. As a young toolmaker apprentice I was told it was invented in Germany in the early 1700s. First thing you learn as an apprentice is not to question a journeyman. So it must be true. And it works great. Find Persian Blue so much easier to use and control. Keep an unopened tube of the stuff in my tool box just in case.

And I do like your use of magnets.

My first test was with an auto part retrieval tool, it worked great but grabbed the part a little too tightly, It would work great for larger items.

I have some prussian blue but couldn't find where I hid it, it was one of those "I will put it here and never forget where it is again" moments, it is an old age thing.

magnet pickup.JPG

Last edited:
I have some prussian blue but couldn't find where I hid it, it was one of those "I will put it here and never forget where it is again" moments, it is an old age thing.
I always have the the one (whatever it is) as a backup neatly put away and only use if the ‘working’ one can’t be found. System works, but does creat a lot of clutter and extra stuff. Tends to lead to extra multiples of many items. Contemplating a major shop ‘cleanup’ right now.....

I always have the the one (whatever it is) as a backup neatly put away and only use if the ‘working’ one can’t be found. System works, but does creat a lot of clutter and extra stuff. Tends to lead to extra multiples of many items. Contemplating a major shop ‘cleanup’ right now.....

No kidding, I've gotten to the age, where, even though I have 2 of everything (except women, which I ran out of) I can't find stuff anymore.

Back