• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I am having one heck of a time finding ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it comes........New Jersey
Kind of assumed that, but...... also could have been SE England based on your forum name.

I know what you mean about the laws in some states. Left NY over 25 years ago. In NC you can usually get blackpowder at LGS, though a bit high. Place around the corner only carries Goex, but not much. Asked him if he could get Swiss and he suggested I go online and buy it. He was pretty much shocked when he found I out I ordered 25 pounds. Claimed he couldn’t sell that much in a year.

Dixon's should be about 1 hour from Sussex county. I use to live in Mercer county and it was a 1.5 hour drive for me.

Even in NJ a "kit" should not be a problem, it isn't anything till it's assembled. Even then it's only a "machined part". Seems a problem in how the contents are labeled.

I was at TotW a few years ago and they told me the Indian guns come in to the US without touch holes drilled. They told me that without a touch hole, they aren't subject to Pittman Robertson excise taxes. Not sure how that works as ATF has determined they aren't firearms at all.

I was at TotW a few years ago and they told me the Indian guns come in to the US without touch holes drilled. They told me that without a touch hole, they aren't subject to Pittman Robertson excise taxes. Not sure how that works as ATF has determined they aren't firearms at all.
The P-R excise tax applies to all kinds of "outdoor sporting equipment", not just firearms. If fishing rods & reels are P-R taxed, I would bet muzzleloaders are as well. The lack of a touch hole may be to avoid some other tax or import fee, however, as P-R tax is hidden in the retail sale price. It's 11%, BTW. Heaven knows there are plenty of taxes out there.

I don't think the lack of a touch hole is due to any taxation. I think it has to do with firearms not being allowed to be shipped out of country as well as not needing to be proofed. No touch hole makes it a non firearm.

New Jersey? I worked there once for a while. Never again. Clearly you have your own reasons for staying. My approach to your kit problem would be to drive to Pennsylvania, or Maryland or Delaware or almost anyplace else except New York and get what you need then drive back. Tools and materials you can mail-order from Dixie or Log Cabin or TOW easily. I don't know what to tell you about getting powder, but there ARE other ML shooters in NJ. Find some and ask them --- or ask around while you're shopping for a kit and see what they suggest. You can get the name and contact info for State Representatives from the NMLRA.

Pretty sad, that your state's laws are more restrictive than those in California... I just ordered Jim Kibler's southern mountain rifle kit, and it'll be shipped directly to me like a pair of shoes. Muzzle loaders here are treated the same as antique (pre-1899) firearms, which means they're pretty much ignored.

Ok (NJ is no good for ANY type of gun, including BB. and NO real black powder ) Dixons is open only by appointment so call first

New Jersey? I worked there once for a while. Never again. Clearly you have your own reasons for staying. My approach to your kit problem would be to drive to Pennsylvania, or Maryland or Delaware or almost anyplace else except New York and get what you need then drive back. Tools and materials you can mail-order from Dixie or Log Cabin or TOW easily. I don't know what to tell you about getting powder, but there ARE other ML shooters in NJ. Find some and ask them --- or ask around while you're shopping for a kit and see what they suggest. You can get the name and contact info for State Representatives from the NMLRA.
Tangle trust me I get it. I live in a R- pro gun County believe it or not. The problem is bring something back from somewhere it must go through a FFL dealer or I believe its a violation of sorts.
Perhaps I shall wait till we relocate next year to a less restrictive State.
Used to be you could mail order to your door not anymore. Liberal nj Dems killed that off...as well as any powder or caps or modern primers....we are a no ship to State. The Second Amendment is not a priority for most of the brain dead voter base here. Soon very soon I will put this place behind my Wife and I

Best
SM

Pretty sad, that your state's laws are more restrictive than those in California... I just ordered Jim Kibler's southern mountain rifle kit, and it'll be shipped directly to me like a pair of shoes. Muzzle loaders here are treated the same as antique (pre-1899) firearms, which means they're pretty much ignored.
Cannot get Holy Black delivered and or caps so I have to jump the border to PA. to get what I need.
I know its absolutely ridicules.

SM

Back