• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I am a new member from SW Idaho.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do we have a percussion weapons group in the Nampa, Caldwell Kuna area?, I am interested in joining to find out more about these weapons and how to use them. I especially would like to know of a gunsmith who can work on these rifles and pistols. I have a .40 caliber rifle I would like to upgrade to either .45 or .50 cabler for hunting. This rifle seems to be setup for target shooting with micrometer sights but I am unsure if the .39 caliber ball will have enough power to give a clean kill.
thanks from Nampa.

I believe so but I don't know their name. I know they have "Cowboy" matches at Black's Creek Shooting Range. I believe they have a black powder shooting range there too, the Schuetzen range. Look them up on the internet.

Or, I guess you can click this.... Black's Creek Public Shooting Range

I belong to another club but as far as I know, there is no black powder matches there. I just shoot to hear the "clang". .50 caliber Hawken and a .44 caliber Remington Black Powder pistol with an interchangeable cylinders. Good luck. BTW, welcome to our beautiful state.

I believe so but I don't know their name. I know they have "Cowboy" matches at Black's Creek Shooting Range. I believe they have a black powder shooting range there too, the Schuetzen range. Look them up on the internet.

Or, I guess you can click this.... Black's Creek Public Shooting Range

I belong to another club but as far as I know, there is no black powder matches there. I just shoot to hear the "clang". .50 caliber Hawken and a .44 caliber Remington Black Powder pistol with an interchangeable cylinders. Good luck. BTW, welcome to our beautiful state.
Thanks for the help, I've been a shooter here in Idaho for a long time but the only club I belong to is the Idaho Automatic Weapons collectors We don't shoot much in the way of BP and I'm now trying to get into a new to me style. My brother has two BP rifles and I'm hoping to be shooting with his one day..

Do we have a percussion weapons group in the Nampa, Caldwell Kuna area?, I am interested in joining to find out more about these weapons and how to use them. I especially would like to know of a gunsmith who can work on these rifles and pistols. I have a .40 caliber rifle I would like to upgrade to either .45 or .50 cabler for hunting. This rifle seems to be setup for target shooting with micrometer sights but I am unsure if the .39 caliber ball will have enough power to give a clean kill.
thanks from Nampa.
Aberdeen Idaho. mountain states supply. his name is Brian. he's who we use here in salt lake city. also contact me if you need gun work done. there's a man in Layton Utah that's excellent.

I just found this section of the forum, so I’m a bit late in replying.
I’m up north of ya in Idaho. I’m not sure of a local smith that can tackle that. Sadly, the experiences I’ve had at local gunsmiths is not great, actually pretty poor and they know nothing about BP rifles. Makes me want to go ahead and open a shop. I’d recommend sending your barrel off to Bobby Hoyt. Incase you aren’t aware, 45cal is the minimum for deer, and 50cal is the minimum for elk here in Idaho. Your rifle sounds like a real good one, but those sights are going to get in the way for hunting, unless I’m thinking something different than what you have. There are some good hunting sights that have micrometer adjustments. With having to increase bore size, and quite possibly changing out the sights to something more appropriate for hunting, you may want to sell that off to somebody who appreciates a good target rifle and put those funds towards a good hunting rifle. Just a thought.

Back