• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I’m in too deep auction buy…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in my 7th decade and have decided that most of my stuff is going! I have two safes and still more! I have firearms that have never" been fired and others that have not been shot in years! What is the point? Guess what, there isn't one. Only an idiot would keep doing the same thing and expect different results. I do not want to burden my wife with getting rid of the things nor do i want some butt head trying to "steal" them from her. I may have to use an auction house just t make it easier all around even though I may lose a few $$bucks in the process. It is what it is. I will keep a "few" select unmentionables, and my BP arms. I will have to leave very clear instructions in the will that they should be sold 'on line" in the Forum so they go to peoeple who will actually appreciate them, not someone trying to make a buck and resell them. Just my day's rant!

I am in my 7th decade and have decided that most of my stuff is going! I have two safes and still more! I have firearms that have never" been fired and others that have not been shot in years! What is the point? Guess what, there isn't one. Only an idiot would keep doing the same thing and expect different results. I do not want to burden my wife with getting rid of the things nor do i want some butt head trying to "steal" them from her. I may have to use an auction house just t make it easier all around even though I may lose a few $$bucks in the process. It is what it is. I will keep a "few" select unmentionables, and my BP arms. I will have to leave very clear instructions in the will that they should be sold 'on line" in the Forum so they go to peoeple who will actually appreciate them, not someone trying to make a buck and resell them. Just my day's rant!
You face a dilemma that many shooters/collectors face after reaching a certain age. I just turned 72 and have occasionally thought about this.
While I have often purchased from auctions, I've never actually sold anything through one. I was under the impression that there was no cost to the seller, just the "buyers" premium. Maybe I'm wrong ? Or does it depend on if there is a reserve or not ? Picking the best auction house that often specializes in firearms would be prudent. But for antique and replica BP it seems the most active houses are in the Northeast and Texas, neither of which I live close to. Of course, they also sell the unmentionables.
The theory, in my mind currently, is to take everything you want to sell to one auction, and leave with a check. LOL Boxing, packing, shipping, etc. all handled with the auction house partners. Yes, I figure I might loose on some items, but profit on others. But, if you have a BIG collection, the thought of advertising, selling, boxing, packing, and shipping one at a time does not sound too inviting to me.
Also, if selling unmentionables, you want an auction house that maintains an FFL. If they're auctioning firearms, they do.

Rick

Auctioneers and auction houses almost always charge the seller a fee. Usually it is a percentage of the proceeds and typical would be 15%-25% of the sale proceeds. Most, now also charge a buyers premium too. If it is a small sale they may also charge a minimum. Their commission may or may not cover advertising i.e. printed flyers, media advertising etc. it is a lot to consider but a reputable auction service can provide a good way to dispose of an estate or collection. Just a note, I was in the auction business many years ago.

This hobby IS very addicting! I have a friend who attends Rendezvous. Not only does he enjoy the Primitive aspect, but he’s also a competitive shooter. Being up there in years, he traded his 50-caliber long rifle for a 40. His other firearm is a 62-caliber Trade gun. He may have a pistol, but I’ve never seen it. This works for him, and I was going to try and follow in his footsteps but would have a hard time just having two or three guns. This same fellow told me I needed to get rid of all my cap-locks if I wanted to be a good flint shooter. Well, that’s hard to do as I have about half a dozen that I use for ML classes and Scouts. Plus, I also have a loaner or two for friends and family to use when they visit. Most of the Scout rifles have a single trigger. The loaners are double-set.

For one thing, I buy, sell and trade muzzleloaders to pay for my hobby. So, I always have something new to try. Once in a while, I’ll be hit by a wild hair and decide I want something specific like the Hawken I was searching for recently. It may stay with me, or I might reconsider, sell or trade it and acquire another. Sometimes I’ll end up with something that needs some work. Rather than pay someone, I’ve been polishing up on my gunsmithing skills.

I wanted a 40-cal Southern Mountain Rifle. I settled for an Issac Haines. My father’s family is German. This is the type of rifle they may have had although, I don’t believe they arrived in America until the mid-1800s. My mother’s family has been here longer. They settled in Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky. So, I still want an SMR! I’d also like to have a Harper’s Ferry rifle that doesn’t say “Made in Italy” on it.

As far as the auctions go, first off, you have to set a limit. I’ve lost an item by as little as $1. If you don’t set a limit you could end up with a bunch of over-priced guns. By the way, there are two values to an item; what it’s REALLY worth and what it’s worth to someone who REALLY wants it! If you’re looking for something that is few and far between, you might pay a little more to have it.

Walt

Last edited:
Several auction house that I have seen on GB will have "agents" who will come to you and pick up what ever it is you are selling etc. SO even if you do not live near them, they have people through out the country that handle that aspect for them. Some "houses" will buy outright, but of course you are going to get less, others only do consignment ie auction. and Yes, they take a percentage of the sale price.

My mental muzzleloading gun illness has manifested itself a different way. .........When I worked , there was about 2 to 6 possible "thinking hours" a day , of driving time between service calls. Oh , 50 + years ago , my brain began to wander into a dangerous territory , filled with wanting to find out how most every kind and caliber m/l rifle behaved. I had always hung out with others of similar persuasion , and I decided to just " build " my way out of this mental dilemma. It has taken over a 150 + guns , and at 75 1/2 yrs. , I see now , my m/l mental illness will outlast , my ability to build the number of m/l guns to cure myself. It's been a fun effort learning m/l building art , and the shadowy 18th century history that accompanies it. Still can't get enough , with no hope of walking away, until I leave the planet........oldwood

Auctioneers and auction houses almost always charge the seller a fee. Usually it is a percentage of the proceeds and typical would be 15%-25% of the sale proceeds. Most, now also charge a buyers premium too. If it is a small sale they may also charge a minimum. Their commission may or may not cover advertising i.e. printed flyers, media advertising etc. it is a lot to consider but a reputable auction service can provide a good way to dispose of an estate or collection. Just a note, I was in the auction business many years ago.
Thanks. That's interesting to know.

Rick

Just to follow up on post #17:

The only printed Dixie Gun Works catalog I have on hand is #160, from the year 2011. On page 634 is a chart which shows bore sizes (land to land) and recommended ball sizes for reproduction guns. They list the Hopkins & Allen .45 caliber rifle (which used a Numrich barrel) and show a bore size of .443", with a recommended ball size of .435". I don't see groove depth shown, but I'm certain that these barrels were intended for patched round balls.

Buffalo Bullets used to make swaged round balls in .435", but these may be hard to find now. Most shooters are happy with a ball .010" under bore size, which would be .433". To satisfy my own curiosity, I looked around a bit and found both Hornady and Speer make swaged round balls in the .433" size, and Lee does still offer a .433" mould. Track of the Wolf currently has this mould and .433" cast and swaged round balls in stock.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Yes, .433 RB are easy to find. I have a 1967 Intercontinental Arms “Kentuckian” Italian import that is a .44 caliber, and I have shot .430, .433, and even was able to shoot .440 with a thinner patch through it.

Why oh why did someone not tell me before I started! All things muzzle loading are insanely addictive! Any chance I get I want to buy shoot or tinker with muzzle loaders! So much so my uncle who hits the gun auctions hard now knows to buy for me!!!! He scored this old guy for the tune of a 60 dollar bill! I promptly gave him 100 for his time and effort! I have a problem….. I have no self control……I’m in too deep! There, I said it! I love this stuff!

Nice old back action with an old numrich arms .45 barrel. Inlets are nice and the bore is great! No master build but fairly well done IMHO. Hade to make a ramrod but home depot and 3 bucks helped that! Has an old Lyman globe sight on the front. Spent some time getting her cleaned today can’t wait to see what she will do!!
Yes, upgrade the rod when you get a chance.

Yes, .433 RB are easy to find. I have a 1967 Intercontinental Arms “Kentuckian” Italian import that is a .44 caliber, and I have shot .430, .433, and even was able to shoot .440 with a thinner patch through it.
Wish I'd saved all my catalogs; the ones from the 60's are real collectibles. I just ordered my latest Dixie and have been getting them since '68 or so.

About a year ago I bought a .45 percussion fullstock rifle from GB for $175. Seller called it a "kit," but I could see stock was curly maple, and parts and inletting were first class. Prob made in the 70s. Got it, bore was pristine, shoots good. I was the only bidder, lucky me.

Back