• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I’m getting to easy on these deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobody85

16 bore
Reaction score
Took my new fowler out today to hopefully take one down. I saw four does, but nothing that really turned my head. Two got so close I thought I could even smell them! 20 years ago I would have laid them out on pure principle. Either I’ve become spoiled with decent game, or I’m getting soft as my years advance. It will be my luck that I won’t see anything else the rest of the year… hopefully not.

I hear you but I'm not there yet.
I'm 32 years old, have 65 Pennsylvania deer under my belt since October 23 2002, (I know this because I have all of them written down) and I shoot everyone I see that gives me an opportunity unless it's a fawn/small deer. Somtimes they even get it.

As a born & bred Georgia Cracker I thoroughly enjoyed the great deer hunting my native state has to offer. I used to take venison orders from nonhunting friends and filled many freezers including my own. I killed so many I have let bucks walk on along with unusual deer such as piebald ones. I've seen albino deer that I left alone but I always shot any obviously badly wounded deer. I've often shot 3 a day.

SOFT, that is an act of human nature. Used to get my limit almost every year and now since I built and moved smack dab in the middle of nature things have changed. Now people bring me venison for working on their rifles. I am about as soft as it gets right now, not soft as in liberal. HAHA

I have definitely gone soft on the deer just in the last couple years. And not in the dang liberal sense of the word. When I was younger and belonged to hunting clubs, or was hunting on a friends property I felt obligated to shoot and shoot often. Once I got my own land and started trying to manage it properly my views started to change. I don’t shoot does anymore, I can’t recognize them all of course but after 8 years you get to know the families and see the new fawns come and the old ones go. Now I have no problem with my Sons or grandkids taking a doe, you gotta have meat. And I’ll pass on small bucks early in the season, but my bucks are so nocturnal I can’t afford to be too picky. And some of the softness just comes from getting lazy, I’m usually by myself and late in the evening I almost start praying nothing worth shooting walks out. Because then I’d have to clean the dang thing. Most times I’d rather go back to my cabin, build a fire, and have a drink. But that’s just me. It seems some people never get enough killing.

Latest posts

Back