• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HURRY UP GOEX! Almost out.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I'm down to my last pound of GOEX. Luckily I have some Schuetzen to fill in until Goex gets to selling us some powder.

Attachments

• 20230409_105307.jpg
    20230409_105307.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230409_105243.jpg
    20230409_105243.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I’m still stocked up on about 10lbs of Goex and have a backup 10 lbs of Schuetzen. I haven’t even tried the schuetzen yet. I know everyone says that it performs exactly like my old Goex. I’m sure that I’ll psychologically think it doesn’t regardless of the outcome when I start using it. I’m curious as to whether the new Goex will be the same formula and even close to the old Goex. Ya know they are gonna streamline and change something. It always happens that way. Kind of like a dodge truck or should I say a fiat truck. Looks like a dodge, says it’s a dodge but it’s a fiat. Have you ever heard anyone say that they had a fiat one time and it was the best darn car they ever owned? Ummmm no lol. Let’s hope Goex doesn’t end up being Elephant Powder quality in a shiny new container.

I’m still stocked up on about 10lbs of Goex and have a backup 10 lbs of Schuetzen. I haven’t even tried the schuetzen yet. I know everyone says that it performs exactly like my old Goex. I’m sure that I’ll psychologically think it doesn’t regardless of the outcome when I start using it. I’m curious as to whether the new Goex will be the same formula and even close to the old Goex. Ya know they are gonna streamline and change something. It always happens that way. Kind of like a dodge truck or should I say a fiat truck. Looks like a dodge, says it’s a dodge but it’s a fiat. Have you ever heard anyone say that they had a fiat one time and it was the best darn car they ever owned? Ummmm no lol. Let’s hope Goex doesn’t end up being Elephant Powder quality in a shiny new container.
TreeMan-

Don't worry about the Shuetzen powder. Very similar fouling. Very similar velocities. MIGHT be a tad slower. But this could be lot number variations. I strongly believe, and zero evidence to back this up, that Wano/Swiss developed Shuetzen to directly compete with standard Goex (not Olde Eynesford). If you liked Goex, you will like Shuetzen. I like both and find them very similar and mostly compatible.

I have a lot of Goex 1F, I bought a case during the "pandemic panic" and barely touched any of it .....and I've gotten away from shooting large bore muskets and more into revolvers....

So it looks like I'm lucky some of my .44's like 1F

I was getting low on powder when the pandemic shortage hit and Goex went out of business, not knowing the future I decided to pay more and stock up. Crater Fireworks still had a good stock of Goex at the time, at a good price until you factored in hazmat and shipping. I had about $30 a pound in it to my door but now have a lifetime supply and no worries.

I was getting low on powder when the pandemic shortage hit and Goex went out of business, not knowing the future I decided to pay more and stock up. Crater Fireworks still had a good stock of Goex at the time, at a good price until you factored in hazmat and shipping. I had about $30 a pound in it to my door but now have a lifetime supply and no worries.
Eric, I have a question: How many tons is a lifetime supply? 😂
Larry

The Schuetzen 2f shoots really good in my 54, the 4f primes the heck out of the pan, no issues whatso ever. I have a couple cans of Goex 3f for revolvers, have had them long enough they are still metal cans. Everything I am buying now is Swiss, yeah it's more expensive on the front end but the shot to shot difference in price is not enough to worry about for me. I whiz away far more money on far more things less consequential than powder at a couple cents difference per shot.

I am 75, I don't get out and shoot much. If I am working up a load for a new gun, I may shoot a couple dozen shots in the process. I shoot my deer rifle a dozen shots or so before the season opens, that's about it. I think I have 23# of powder, possibly 25#, I have 1F, 2F, 3F and 4F, more 2&3 than anything else.

I don't turkey hunt anymore, mobility issues, I only deer hunt around the house, more mobility issues, bottom line, old age has really slowed me down. I work out 3 days a week and walk 10 miles a week on a mostly paved walking trail, it is when I get on uneven ground in the woods that I get unstable and awkward and have to be really careful to be able to stay upright. A hip replacement that went badly on my left side and having a big chunk of my meniscus removed from my right knee makes me a little bit wobbly, treking poles are necessary for me to feel comfortable on a walk through the woods. Where I live high ridges and deep hollows are the norm for almost all of the available hunting land, public and private.

Last edited:
I don't shoot as much as I used to and I don't hunt at all. The middling stash of powder I have will last a long time.

Looks like I'm down to my last pound of GOEX. Luckily I have some Schuetzen to fill in until Goex gets to selling us some powder.
I was at a shoot last weekend and one guy was shooting Graf's for the first (and I guess from his experience) last time. He had terrible fouling that he could not load after 3 shots. I know it's rebranded schuetzen, and that was the first time I had seen anyone using it, but gives me concern when/if I run out of GOEX.

I got my first flintlock right after the Goex plant shut down (great timing, lol) and ended up getting ten pounds of Traveler's Schuetzen 3f because that was all I could find. I had some Goex probably ten years ago for cap n ball revolvers, but I really can't remember what the fowling was like. Anyhow, my Pedersoli seems to already have a tight bore, and I learned pretty quickly that I would have to wipe between shots. I also learned about the quality of Pedersoli ramrods while learning that lesson. It definitely shoots dirty.

Back when I used o shoot and have guns I was not been able to tell the difference in any manner between Goex and Schuetzen. If guns were not so dangerous and socially unacceptable I would buy what was the best deal. Pitty it is, the times we have come upon.

Back