• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with Lee r.e.a.l bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a Lee r.e.a.l. bullet mold for my St. Louis hakken. It 50 cal 27 1/2 inch barrel with 1:48 twist. I want to know if anyone here hunted with a real bullet in 50? What was your powder charge? What did u hunt and at what range? Thinking of getting the Lee 320 grain real bullet mold for hunting elk here in Washington. I used to hunt with a .54 cal CVA hawken with 90 grains of ffg and a 380 grain real bullet only elk I got with one of those was at 60 paces. Most of the elk I seen taken in the area I plan to hunt r 80 yards and under. Would a powder charge of 70-80 grains of ffg and a 320 real do the job?

I have not hunted with the real bullet. I have a Thompson Center Renegade .54 cal. 1:48 twist s/n 223***. I have made some Lee REAL bullets of 300 gr and tried them powder coated at 50 yard target with 63 gr of 20 year old RS pyrodex. I had a 3 inch group without any cleaning between shots until #25 and I believe that most of it was as good as I was shooting and not the gun / load.
I had tried at 75 yards with 90 gr BP and put three rounds in separate targets within 1 inch of center. Texas downpour stopped me with less than 10 rounds on that outing.
Good Luck

I'm interested in learning more about your experience combining powder coating and black powder.

I shot some when they came out in a green river . 54 with a 1/66 twist. They shot about an inch smaller groups at fifty yards then did tc maxies. No doubt the slow twist. I found them easier to load and while it wouldn’t win ribbons it would have turned Bambi French.
I’ve only hunted with PRB

I'm interested in learning more about your experience combining powder coating and black powder.
I tried it as I first started powder coat for cast pistol 38 spl, 45 acp, & 9mm, It was used without any lube. Seems to work fine for me. Alot cleaner loading without my waxy lube all over. I have not tried RP coated. The REAL bullets seem to scrap the fouling down the bore when loading, my guess. They shoot well for me.

IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

They seem very tolerant of heavy powder charges, in my rifles. Well the .50-70 cartridge did pretty well on buffalo with a 400 grain bullet, so the 320 with 80 to 90 grains should knock just about anything down.

I've got a 54cal 380gr Lee mold. I could never get the boolit to fit well in my barrel (Investarms 1:48). The REALs were always too small and wouldn't stay on the powder if jostled even a little. They shot pretty well and I'm confident that with paper patching or powder coating I could have made them work, but just wasn't worth the effort since my rifle likes PRBs.

Back