• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting with a revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wandering around Wal Mart yesterday and I stopped in sporting goods to pick up my new hunting license for the year, and picked up a new pamphlet of the rules and regulation....and had a surprise. I have never done any hunting with a black powder revolver, but I have with single shots. According to the Texas Fish and Game people, they don't consider a firearm where you load a cylinder as a muzzleloader !

Wandering around Wal Mart yesterday and I stopped in sporting goods to pick up my new hunting license for the year, and picked up a new pamphlet of the rules and regulation....and had a surprise. I have never done any hunting with a black powder revolver, but I have with single shots. According to the Texas Fish and Game people, they don't consider a firearm where you load a cylinder as a muzzleloader !

Oh, yes. I even called my local game warden nearly a decade ago when I got my ROA if it was illegal. As a primary during black powder, it’s a no-no. As a sidearm or during the normal hunting season it can.

Guess this should make everyone happy.. A revolver that loads from the muzzle
A21-BK5309.jpg

In Idaho: LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS
A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:

1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.
Pistols and revolvers don't qualify for the muzzleloader-only season in my state. It'd be nice if they could simply say "use what you know you can reliably and humanely take your target species with." Or a simple "hunt ethically, ladies and gents." But we all know how many idiots would goof that up, thus the restrictions. I pity those who have to write dumbed down regulations so they cover the lowest common denominator of slob hunters.

3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.
Pistols and revolvers don't qualify for the muzzleloader-only season in my state. It'd be nice if they could simply say "use what you know you can reliably and humanely take your target species with." Or a simple "hunt ethically, ladies and gents." But we all know how many idiots would goof that up, thus the restrictions. I pity those who have to write dumbed down regulations so they cover the lowest common denominator of slob hunters.
. I sure wish Iowa would follow Idaho in their thinking of these rules!! ( except I think I can take a bp revolver hunting during Muzzleloader season here in Iowa!). Greg

If I read the regulations correctly, here in Oklahoma black powder revolvers are not legal during the muzzleloader season but ok during the regular firearms season.

Actually I sort of like those regulations as far as primitive hunting goes. I'm not a fan of all those zip guns they make these days using pellets in them for propellent, sabots, scopes, and all the modern stuff. As far as I'm concerned a primitive hunt should be a primitive hunt !!

Actually I sort of like those regulations as far as primitive hunting goes. I'm not a fan of all those zip guns they make these days using pellets in them for propellent, sabots, scopes, and all the modern stuff. As far as I'm concerned a primitive hunt should be a primitive hunt !!

That’s pretty much how I feel and with a revolver that uses 160 year old technology is still true to the spirit of traditional.

Oregon's muzzleloader regs are quite similar to Idaho. Oregon prohibits revolving actions in general for muzzelolading only hunts. It's ok to use inlines and revolvers in "any legal weapon" hunts though. Matchlocks are not allowed for any hunting at all. I have one but with our fire situation I am very careful about where I shoot. I wouldn't try walking through dry forest with a lit match.

Oregon's muzzleloader regs are quite similar to Idaho. Oregon prohibits revolving actions in general for muzzelolading only hunts. It's ok to use inlines and revolvers in "any legal weapon" hunts though. Matchlocks are not allowed for any hunting at all. I have one but with our fire situation I am very careful about where I shoot. I wouldn't try walking through dry forest with a lit match.
Using an inline should be okay as far as I'm concerned, as long as they are used in the regular hunting season....and not the primitive muzzleloader season.

Sad to say that I know some people that believe that a unmentionable rimfire is just perfect for deer, and don't seem to care that some that they hit don't die before they get away. Common sense is the least common of all the senses.

Big-Gov types just love to make rules to control us.They often make no sense. Most "Orgs" have the same problem. Everyone I have coached in my shooting sports will ask , Why this rule and why that rule...It just makes no sense...Don`t have to respect, understand or agree with such laws or rules. Quit asking and just consider the source...c

Back