• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hunting with a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless it is very wet when i hunt, it stays loaded. I jam a rag in the pan as a "safety reminder". I never had an issue.

I leave mine loaded for the season, unless it gets damp or I shoot at a deer. Two years ago, I loaded it the end of November, and unloaded it on January 28th, when I shot a doe with it.

I keep the gun in my garage for the duration so as to avoid condensation from the rapid temperature change, as what would happen if I brought it inside the house.

It will depend on just how humid your house is. Mine are all in the house unloaded at this time. I only load them at the range or at the farm.

A feather or thorn from the black locust tree works very well, this along with a well waxed cows knee, and is correct for the time period we dwell in.

A quill in the vent is the surest way to ensure the charge keeps dry .I think the small wire loops some times found under the cheek pieces were not for a wire picker but more likely the carrying of quills .Since hunting in NZ often extends several days often longer in my case and the forests often wet. and the creeks used like paths in effect. It is better to carry plugged and fresh prime so it will go off at least .Though if it is dry I do carry primed if a shots likely . If its a percussion rifle I trap a bit of rubber by the hammer then you know the charge is good & and sealed . Rudyard

how long do you leave your gun loaded?? mines been loaded about a week should i unload it?? been hunting with my lyman
If its snowing or raining shoot it out at the end of the hunt. If its dry don't worry about it if you prepared the gun properly before loading it. If you have a decent leather cover treated with sno-seal condensation is not an issue if you leave the gun in it until it comes up to room temperature. This is why I use a full length cover.
P1010065.jpeg

Back