• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting with a Army Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vet killed a black bear a couple of years back with a modern pistol. Don't know a lot about the gun, but the bear came around a lake after him. He fired several times as the bear charged. After he killed it he did an autopsy. Local rangers said the bear had been acting up. It was back in a wilderness area, doc was up there fishing.

Many years ago the then-record Polar Bear was taken with a .22 single shot rifle, by an Native American hunter who came upon it asleep and literally shoved the muzzle into the ear and pulled the trigger.
I would say that would be the only way one would successfully kill a bear with a ML pistol, and I'd be hesitant even then.
The claims of others about having done so should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt.

I kilt a teddy bar oncet, with a Remington New Army, stuffin went everwar, shur frightened the hell out of me. We do have koala bears down under and they are not worth tangling with ! :rotf:

wpjson said:
Does a .44 Colt Army with 30grs of powder have the power to send a ball through a bear? :confused:
You can kill a bear with a knife, but why do people keep bringing up these things? :confused:

I just can stop laughing at that one -- my mind's eye can only see stuffing flying all over and poor old teddy just tumbling and flying through the air while spewing this fluffy stuffing around -- how funny -- thanks for the laugh :grin: :grin: !

Well lots of opinions. First off what exactly is a bear? In Montana it could be a grizzly or a really big black bear. In some areas of eastern Ontario the bears run small, lots around 120 pounds. In Florida (my current digs) you can see all sizes, 100 pound bears and 500 pound bears.
Those 22 rimfire kills. If you get a perfect shot into an eye socket or ear canal it could do the job, but very chancy.
On the historical stuff. I had read about how George Armstrong Custer killed a buffalo with an Army revolver and wondered on that (was that really possible?) and I was told that prior to the 1860 Colt "Army" the dragoon pistols in 44 caliber were sometimes called an "Army" so some of the historical kills might have been with Dragoon pistols and much larger powder charges.
For bear defense there is a group of Remington 1858 shooters that use a 240 grain "Cado" conical with maximum powder charges and claim the conical will penetrate from nose to tail on small (70 pound) wild hogs so if you want a bear load, I'd check that out.
What to do? Probably.... 1. Walk away backwards 2. fire a warning shot hoping the bear will run off. 3. Wait for the bear to get close and shoot it in the head and hope for the best.

In 1953, Bella Twin, a Native American, killed the world record Grizzly bear with a single shot .22 cal unmentionable rifle. :shocked2: You can google it, it is quite a story! The only gun I ever owned that I would have felt safe with around a griz with was an unmentionable thing in .338 caliber. No I would not hunt such a beast with anything less than about a 4 bore muzzleloader. George B.

Roguedog said:
I reckon we just have fun talking about stuff related to black powder. :hmm:
Well, then... :rotf:

50s-Fantasize.jpg

I shot a turkey once, with my Traditions 1858 New Army, loaded with 25 grains of FFFg and a .451 RB. Scared the hell out of the clerks and customers at Kroger. Keep yer powder dry......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy who seems to sight in his truck every year. You can eat roadkill up here now.

crockett said:
For bear defense there is a group of Remington 1858 shooters that use a 240 grain "Cado" conical with maximum powder charges and claim the conical will penetrate from nose to tail on small (70 pound) wild hogs so if you want a bear load, I'd check that out.
What to do? Probably.... 1. Walk away backwards 2. fire a warning shot hoping the bear will run off. 3. Wait for the bear to get close and shoot it in the head and hope for the best.

The rather startling differences in penetration that I'm seeing in tests where the only significant difference is the nose of the projectile have gotten my attention. Previously I had doubts about some claims for penetration with 1858's. Not no mo'.

I had to explain it to SWMBO”¦ But it was too funny not to pass it on to someone who doesn't care about guns or hunting”¦

Awesome!

rodwha said:
I had to explain it to SWMBO”¦ But it was too funny not to pass it on to someone who doesn't care about guns or hunting”¦

Awesome!
"yes dear" is usually a safe bet! :wink: :haha:

Not in this house! She'd think she can do as she pleases, and it's bad enough as it is! :rotf:

And Hancock's just aren't known for giving in much it seems...

You better take all you good guns out to stash under the sofa where you'll sleep tonight!

Back