• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Two Very Different Types of Terrain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wound up hunting two very different types of terrain today. I started out hunting in mountains looking for mule deer and elk. I covered quite a bit of ground and gained a lot of elevation. I saw a lot of deer and elk tracks but all the sign was a few days old. The freshest deer track I saw was a running track with a wolf track pursuing it that looked about a day old. I saw a lot of fresh coyote tracks. Things weren't looking promising in this area. With a couple hours of light left in the day I decided to try a different spot.
Mountains to river bottom hunt 008.JPG

One thing I like about where I live is that I can drive about 15 minutes one direction and hunt in the mountains. I can drive 15 minutes in another direction and hunt river bottoms. With a 30 minute drive I left the mountains and went to one of my favorite whitetail areas.
Mountains to river bottom hunt 027.JPG

I saw seven whitetails along the river bottom just before last light. It was too late to try stalking them. I did have the opportunity to put meat in the pot though. I noticed what looked like a moving rock. I shot it with my camera instead of my flintlock.
Mountains to river bottom hunt 015.JPG

I wanna see the GPR flinter leaning up against a Bull with 8 a side. I know there up there in your area

I wouldn't mind seeing that myself. I've never seen an 8X8 bull. The only 7X7 (that I was positive was a 7X7) I've ever seen was in the Vasquez Peak Wilderness in Colorado. Some of my favorite country I've ever hunted was on backpack hunts in Colorado wilderness areas. Along with Vasquez Peak Wilderness, the Eagles Nest Wilderness and Mount Zirkel Wilderness were some of my favorites. There were getting to be too many people in Colorado so I had to come back home to Montana. :thumb:

There is to many people here for me to but I cant get the wife to budge as her kids are here in Colorado. I understand from her side so I dont pester her much about it. When I still hunted with a muzzleloader all the elk are on private ground and the muzzie season is bunched in with archery season which I dont care for.

Latest posts

Back