• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting rifle likes out of the herd

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, my earlier comment was an old Winchester (can I say that?) collectors joke.

Between the beetle kilt pines and the moose, I stretch a LOT of wire at the ranch. Full time summer employment.

Edit!
Elk can be a bit bothersome too. But they generally will clear the fence. But not always. Day #2 second rifle in Colo.

Good for you. Thats the way to do it

Last edited:
I have to agree I mainly use one of my 7 .54s I love that caliber but I really love a .58 if I could get one that felt like my white mountain carbine 54 everything else would probably collect dust. I love a .58 with roundballs pass throughs are almost a given with conicals the 600 maxi from TOW they hit hard. the only other caliber id like is .72 I love my Kodiak double but carrying it around the woods is not fun to long and bulky a .58 in a white mountain sized gun would be perfect. Ive got a TC renegade .54 sitting next to my computer desk many times ive just about sent it off to mr. Hoyt for a re bore to .58
Wonder what that kodiak would weigh if you cut it down into a short-snorter/carbine. ??? Might be better than not using it. :)

I really like big bores .54 and up . I mainly use one of my .54s my .58 has been getting a workout and my pedersoli Kodiak double .72 is perfect for what I hunt

For you Lyman's front sight, I have mentioned this before. Take Sally Hassan white finger nail polish (it has nylon in it and make it harder to chip) and paint your front blade with it. Then take what ever color you see best orange, green, yellow or what ever an put over the top of that. That white backing will make that color over it almost glow compared to putting the color alone on the front sight. Or jut leave it white if you prefer. DANNY

Back