• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values says:
"Kahnke has developed a lightweight contemporary style...Both feature in-line ignition...".

Sounds to me like this is outside the scope (no pun intended) of our Forum rules.

In reality it is no different than the old TC Scout pistol. In fact, the TC Scout had more of an inline configuration that the Kahnke. The hammer of the M82 hits the nipple at a 45 degree angle to the bore.Sort of like the hammer of a muzzleloading shotgun of an old Greener that I have. The Scout nipple was directly in line with the bore.

I do have a picture of me with it but it has an optical enhancing device mounted on it. I don't want to upset anyone with that picture.

New to site. I love hunting with pistol. I took a doe two years ago with my traditions 50 cal. Tomarrow i plan to doe hunt with my 45 cal flintlock pistol i put together from a kit. (I have attempted to hunt squirrel with a 31 cal revolver.)

The TC scout pistol is an inline also. I wondered when one of the moderators would catch on.

The TC Scout does have the nipple in alignment with the bore of the barrel but it has a very traditional appearance overall. The gun sort of reminds me of a Winchester Hi Wall frame. I believe that due to the appearance, the gun is seen as traditional.

Concerning the TC Patriot pistol, I'm looking at a picture of one in the 1987 Dixie Catalog. It is a double trigger sidelock percussion pistol which uses a single barrel wedge to hold the stock to the barrel.
Except for the sights which look a bit TC'ish it appears to be a traditional pistol. (By the way, if any of you buys one of these, the triggers are Bass Ackwards from normal set triggers. The forward one cocks the trigger and the rear trigger is the "real" trigger that fires the gun.)

Now, to enter the fuzzy area, the Colt, Rogers & Spencer and Remington revolvers (and similar brands) could easily be called "in-lines" yet, they are acceptable for conversation here.
The TC Scout causes me to bite my tongue, roll my eyes and grudgingly say to myself,"It's kinda like a single shot Colt revolver so I'll let them talk. After all, during the period up to the Civil war there were a lot of weird looking pistols that used percussion caps for ignition and while anyone showing up at a rondi with one of these would be run out of camp, unless any of the members complains I'll let it be."

Now, the TC "Encore 209X50" is IMO outside the limits for the Forum regardless of its appearence if for no other reason than it uses 209 Shotgun primers.

That's how I've been handling the issue anyway.

Too all Buckeyes,
It is illigal to hunt with or have in your
possecesion anytype muzzleloading handgun,while
hunting deer in Ohio....Period..No matter the
caliber.
snake-eyes :hmm:

As a reparation for my sin of owning a 1860 army colt, I have purchased a pedersoli kentucky 54 cal flintlock pistol.
May my sins be wiped out and remembered no more...
S.310.jpg

(wasn't a hard choice cause I love flinters anyways...)

I almost forgot about a .50 flintlock Traditions Trapper that I bought a few years ago. Anyone have any experience with one. I've never shot it yet, and I think that I'd like to find something of better quality in .54 caliber. This one may be up for sale soon.

Bald Mtn Man,
My suggestion is to first make sure it
is legal to hunt with a M/L handgun in your state.
In Ohio it is not,no matter the caliber or weather traditional or the other thing. In my
state it is illegal to carry more than one gun
into the woods,regardless of ignition.
snake-eyes:hmm:

I'll let it be

Thanks, Zonie. I walked into a local gunshop last week and there was a .50 Scout pistol in great condition. I couldn't resist it because I've been thinking a lot about a powerful hunting pistol. It's not ideal, but I figured I could learn a lot about stout loads in a pistol before moving on to the long barreled .54 of my dreams. Load data is available on TC's site, and it will take up to 100-110gr of powder. I'm not sure I can take that, but the pistol will.

Speaking of super powerful loads in a Kentucky style or Plains style of pistol, I think you folks should realize that wood splits along the grain and these pistols grain runs roughly parallel with the barrel.

Take a look at the picture above and notice the dark lines in the wood. Now envision the wood splitting along one of these lines right behind the place where the trigger guard meets the grip.
This is a real possibility if you load one of these pistols with deer hunting loads so perhaps it would be a better idea to just use a rifle for deer hunting and use the pistol for hunting critters where a 25-30 grain powder load behind a roundball would be more fitting.

Just a thought. :)

I will be receiving the above pistol in a few days. Pedersoli suggests 30 grs for the 54 cal flintlock with a max of 35. The best I can tell from their manual (such as it is), this would be 3F. Would using 2F work better in a flintlock?

perhaps it would be a better idea to just use a rifle for deer hunting and use the pistol for hunting critters where a 25-30 grain powder load behind a roundball would be more fitting.

Of course that's a better idea, but stoking your long barreled hunting pistol with wrist and stock shattering rifle charges is fun. Isn't it? :wink: :confused:

Dixie's catalog recommends 2Fg in the Pedersoli .54 caliber pistol but in my opinion the 3Fg would be a better choice.

Not only the 3Fg develop its maximum pressures faster than the 2Fg powder but there is more exposed surface area per grain on the 3Fg powder.

The fast burning rate of the 3Fg powder will impart more of the powders energy to the ball in the short pistol barrel.
The increased surface area of the finer grained powder will give the flash from the pan a greater chance of heating the powder granules to their flash point which should help in achieving a rapid ignition.

I took a CVA Kentucky pistol kit and built it to make a hunting pistol out of it. Eventually, I scoped it and shot up over 100 gross of the then new plastic sabots testing various bullets and loads thru the pistol. It is still here, but it leaks gases around the drum pretty bad these days. You can load a Plains/Kentucky style 50 pistol with the 9 inch barrel to be a very effective deer gun at close range. Your pushing it if you try to go much past 30 yards or so. I had a TC Railmount Magnum Pistol scope put on the gun at Sappington guns. There isn't much out there that I did not shoot out of that gun! When you find your loading, it is gonna kick like a mule on your end too. Never did shoot a deer with it, but my pet load of 60 grains of P under a 385 Denver Bullet Company 385 would have dumped any deer ever seen in modern times easily at close range. It also raises knots on the knuckle of the finger behind the trigger guard and actually makes your hand hurt after a few shots. The heavy revolvers shooting the REAL bullet over modest to heavy powder charges are better hunting tools if only the hunting application is the deciding factor. The laws, traditional wants, and such aside, it doesn't get much better in pistols than a Third Model Dragoon with a good set of pistol sights loaded with about 45 grains of 3f under a 250 grain REAL bullet. The heavier pistol handles much better at hunting loads levels.

Somewhat as you did I built a CVA kit (Hawken) .50 and shot some stiff loads out of it w/3F and a REAL slug. It is as accurate as I can hold it. I didn't go over 50 grs. tho. no doubt it would take a deer, and maybe anything else it got a good hit on. BTW was my first BP gun. now I'm addicted :(

Hunting with BP pistol is the reason I stumbled on to this forum. I recently clarified NYS regulations with DEC officer. Single shot muzzleloading pistol (not revolver) can be carried along with single shot muzzleloading rifle as long as the person has a New York State Pistol License. The single shot muzzleloading pistol must be appropriately amended to the individuals Pistol Permit also. Too late for this year but maybe next year.... :hmm:

I always understood the law to say that you could carry a single shot BP pistol, as long as it wasn't loaded. I was interested in getting one just to carry and play the part. I don't have a permit though. Can anybody clarify on carrying unloaded?

I have shot several deer and an antelope with a pistol. Most were previously wounded. Antelope had been shot through the mouth by a "modern" and i killed him with my 50 belt pistol.
The 530 ball below was used to kill mule deer doe at about 30 yards.
Broke upper leg bone, got the heart and lodged under the hide on the offside. had it not stuck the heavy bone it would have gone through I am sure. She piled up after a 40 yard panic run.
Flattened on both sides so I assume it tumbled after hitting the bone.
Pistol had a 9" barrel with the breech IIRC.

DSC02831.jpg

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02828.jpg

Back