• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting pistol project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up this stock. I plan to cut the stock off just behind the pistol grip and finish the pistol grip. The barrel channel is just a fraction under 12 inches long. The barrel will be cut to 13 inches. The sights will have to be removed and reset. I will install a rear sight on the top of the tang (like the British lancer pistols) and cut a new dovetail for the front sight.

Sounds like an interesting project. The best of luck to you, and please keep us posted with lots of pictures. :thumbsup:

Looks and sounds good. Have been thinking about a 50 or large caliber for the same type project when time permits. Very interested in your project. Also interested in your choice of barrel length and logic behind 13"? After shooting handguns with 10 to 15 inch barrels 13 sounds like a good hunting length. Something that could be shot off hand or from a rest.

It is a standard CVA/traditions tang for a hooked breech. I have a 50 caliber traditions barrel that would drop in, but i think i may also have a 54 in the shop, it has a 15/16 acf channel. I have fired the CVA kentucky with the 10 inch barrel many times, but they don't have the ease of cleaning of the hooked breech and they aren't built for heavy rifle loads.

I wouldn't put 100 grains in it, but I think it could easily handle 70 grains.

The barrel length is based on a theory that it will be short enough for a one hand hold with some practice (conditioning), but enough that a two hand hold can be managed. longer barrels can be very unwieldy to unholster and swing to aim. Who knows maybe this will be too long. I can always chop another inch off.

Hey Zimm,

You thought about carefully cutting off the buttstock, then refit it as a removeable stock, like the Palmetto Carbine?

I have been thinking about doing that with a Pedersoli Bounty and an old Armisport Hawken stock I have. Just not sure how I would fit the pistol butt for the stock.. pin, clip, or other with some brass fixture!

Rusty

Interesting idea. I had not thought about such a thing, until reading your post. I suppose I could make a clamping style butt stock like is used with the 1860 Army colt repros.

This is the one I got the idea from. And the Pedersoli Bounty has a 14.5" barrel, so it should handle stouter loads, and be fairly accurate at 50 yards! Just not sure I can handle those stouter loads with that light of a carbine!

71fe690c-b13c-47fe-bb7c-15b52690de2c_zpsc3834fc1.jpg

Back