• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting is good for you.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday it rained all day but I still got five miles in carrying a gun and fasting too.
Today was colder but sunny, a welcome change from the rain.
From first light until going dark I toted my double hunting pheasant and rabbits.
I fasted for 18 hours today and covered 6+ miles. Some of it with two rabbits and a bird and I could feel it!
6 miles may not seem much but I am hunting and stalking, not just casually swinging my arms. I am visiting promising pieces of woodland, traversing muddy slopes n'all!
Some photos.
IMG_20191129_141241428.jpg
IMG_20191129_102243687~2.jpg

Hunting is good for you.

B.

Good for you. Way to get out there! Here, it's Thanksgiving. Snowing, cold and eating. LOTS. You are gathering alot of wonderful "groceries" when you decide your fasting is over.

If you are putting on that many miles, I don't think the fasting part is all that necessary.

I do agree, though, hunting is good for you...both physically and emotionally!

P.S. Where's the dog?

I have always found that time spent in the field or woodlands either with friends or alone is good for the soul, Not to mention the exercise. These are times especially now with all the crazy s*** in the world that one finds comfort in the wilds. Md. deer season starts tomorrow I will hunt with a modern rifle actually one that belonged to my father whom passed two years ago, this alone brings many memories of past hunts with him and a relaxing mood. I am looking forward to Maryland's late muzzle loader season perhaps there will be a bit of snow and the 62 Albrecht and I will take a walk. I did not get to hunt the early season black powder, was in Wyoming antelope hunting with a old Marine Corps buddy, great hunt and the antelope will grace my wall around this time next year when shipped from the taxidermist. Dads pocket knife went on that hunt. ( the woodland was quiet for the hunter, except for the slight crunch of a leaf and the resounding crack from a finely crafted long rifle, the deer laid quietly where once he stood and thanks was given for his sacrifice ) Good hunting to all this year and reflect on the good things in your life. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

I have always found that time spent in the field or woodlands either with friends or alone is good for the soul, Not to mention the exercise. These are times especially now with all the crazy s*** in the world that one finds comfort in the wilds. Md. deer season starts tomorrow I will hunt with a modern rifle actually one that belonged to my father whom passed two years ago, this alone brings many memories of past hunts with him and a relaxing mood. I am looking forward to Maryland's late muzzle loader season perhaps there will be a bit of snow and the 62 Albrecht and I will take a walk. I did not get to hunt the early season black powder, was in Wyoming antelope hunting with a old Marine Corps buddy, great hunt and the antelope will grace my wall around this time next year when shipped from the taxidermist. Dads pocket knife went on that hunt. ( the woodland was quiet for the hunter, except for the slight crunch of a leaf and the resounding crack from a finely crafted long rifle, the deer laid quietly where once he stood and thanks was given for his sacrifice ) Good hunting to all this year and reflect on the good things in your life. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER
Beautiful reply, thank you.

B.

If you are putting on that many miles, I don't think the fasting part is all that necessary.

I do agree, though, hunting is good for you...both physically and emotionally!

P.S. Where's the dog?
Ah, Jess worked hard yesterday and was still tired this morning, she never showed her usual interest this morning so she stayed with mom today.
She will be full of beans soon again.
Thanks for asking.

B.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks"
Thomas Jeffers to his nephew Peter Carr, in response to a question about types of exercise one should perform. 18 August 1785

LD

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks"
Thomas Jeffers to his nephew Peter Carr, in response to a question about types of exercise one should perform. 18 August 1785

LD
:):cool:

LD

I think you missed the -on, Dave. ;)

LD

That's always been among my favorite Jefferson quotes.

That's always been among my favorite Jefferson quotes.

Agreed, and accurate. At the end of the day during squirrel season, when I've also been scouting out deer areas...my phone never fails to alert me that I have reached my "step goal" for the day.

Some sites that post this quote try to mitigate it by pointing out that Jefferson after he sent the letter, would do riding much more often than he would be hunting on foot. They, of course, fail to note that a) he was recommending exercise for a younger man, and b) he was 42 at the time he wrote it, and was past middle age for people of his era...may have had sight problems that hindered his shooting by that time.

LD

"would do riding much more often than he would be hunting on foot."

Riding is a very good workout! You will use muscles you forgot you had!

Agreed, but his letter recommends walking with a gun over riding. So some sites try to imply that Jefferson was not really that serious about his recommendation.

LD

Back