• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting in California the snti-lead state.o

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the bad news, I live in California.
Second, the good news, live in the far northern section.
Let me explain. Up here the local sheriffs are strong believers in the average Joe owning a CCW. It’s a different country.
My wife and I do a lot of pheasant hunting. My wife went with steel in her modern, while I went with Bismuth in my Damascus double.
We found with steel we had to go bigger from 6s to 4s. Using Bismuth we stayed with 6s in our ML and BP cartridge doubles.
The knockdown for the Bismuth was noticeably better.
So with that said, I believe a .490 Bismuth round ball will be sufficient for me or anyone else in their .50
Doc,

I know there is a lead ban on shot. I can understand that for duck hunting. Sorry to any duck hunters. Lead shot sinks in the water, fish eat the shot, people eat the fish. How many fish eat the shot? I don't know. How much lead do they eat? I don't know. Is lead poisoning any better than mercury poisoning? I don't know.
Actually, lead shot was banned because it was being ingested by bottom-feeding birds, and affecting their populations.

With the Millions or Billions of Houses that have been built over the past few Hunderd years all being painted with Lead Paint and every kid I grew up with we all played in the dirt next to the houses and ate the veggies, tomatos etc. that were grown there. all the Toxic Chemicals poured into the rivers, streams by Textile Mills, Tannerys and Arsenic and the crop dusting with DDT to keep the bugs down, being sprayed with Cloridane and Agent Orange ( Specracide) Weed killer that were used everywhere. I ated when the Crop dusters flew down the dirt roads with open ditches for sewers and you had no place to hide. what differance does it make. Unkle Sam made us Swabbys rip out Asbestous for the Boats in the Shipyards using our own knives and blow it down with compressed air and sweep it up with dustpan and brooms. no resperators, no saftey glasses, no hearing protection, no steel toe boots. so dont tell me that these libtards that never worked a day in their lives give a shite about anyone. Yea a Silent Sping, but now wverything in life is Silent. Cant even lip read what people are saying due to the Chines e Plague and everyone wearing masks. It will all be over soon so a long Dirt nap may be relaxing.

Don't have to worry about using lead shot while Pheasant hunting in CA's central valley anymore. There are NONE. The pesticides killed them off, not lead. As for Californians its open season for traffic tickets in other states. Plate readers pay for themselves. BTW Enforcement by most agencies from cops to wardens will not be a problem at all when CA's PERS retirement system finally goes belly up.

a few years back I bought a few thousand cast lead Bullets from a guy in California. He made all kinds and sizes. He just mailed them to me in Flat rate boxes 70 pounds in a box. you could proberby buy them direct for a caster who does it as a part time business/hobby a lot cheaper than going to a store. what do they mean by Lead Free? Does it have to be a certain percentage. You would most likey find Lead in a Happy Meal Toy from China that your kids would chew on. I suppose a lot of California Kids have done that.

y

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have to worry about using lead shot while Pheasant hunting in CA's central valley anymore. There are NONE. The pesticides killed them off, not lead. As for Californians its open season for traffic tickets in other states. Plate readers pay for themselves. BTW Enforcement by most agencies from cops to wardens will not be a problem at all when CA's PERS retirement system finally goes belly up.
Odd. I've seen them every year around the Valley.
Lots of wild turkey up around the central coastal mountains and around here the quail are THICK.

wm

Odd. I've seen them every year around the Valley.
Lots of wild turkey up around the central coastal mountains and around here the quail are THICK.

wm
Yes on quail and turkeys especially in the foothills well away from the rice fields. I have seen the odd rooster near the the clubs or breeding farms but none in the fields. Also none as runners on whats left of the rice checks or road kill any where. In 2017 they were talking Specie collapse and have seen no follow-up studies. Would like to see some word on this but fear they have stopped talking about it as there may be nothing encouraging to say

Last edited:
Wow I thought you had left this.
I’m not picking a fight, I will have a back and forth with anyone, but if you quote me and make a snarky response I will respond to you
Don’t drop your gauntlet unless you want it picked up
Go away kid you bother me was coined by WC Fields, playing a dishonest huckster caught in a lie by a kid.
How appropriate

Last edited:
Wow I thought you had left this.
I’m not picking a fight, I will have a back and forth with anyone, but if you quote me and make a snarky response I will respond to you
Don’t drop your gauntlet unless you want it picked up
Go away kid you bother me was coined by WC Fields, playing a dishonest huckster caught in a lie by a kid.
How appropriate
Yap, yap, yap.

Both of you are somewhat correct. The pheasant numbers are not what they used to be. But my wife and I still follow our German Shorthair Pointer around and nail a few. The quail and turkeys seem to be rebounding and that’s a good sign in central and northern Ca.
Doc,

Is this you best?
Why can’t you make a relevant response
Are you ideas so indefensible?
My original response to your post was deleted for being being insulting and 'almost political.' But apparently, it's ok for you to follow me around insulting and harassing me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back