• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting in California the snti-lead state.o

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here the “PRK” is well on it’s way to being the Leader in the third world
Too true. We sold out when home/fire insurance hit $6K on our Placerville ranch and poachers/homeless moved in. Hear its now uninsurable as even Lloyds of London quit doing buisness in CA. While i do miss our private range and stuff , life there is nearly intolerable and soon unsustainable. The heat/fire danger alone was cutting our ML season to barely 3 months out of the year. The electrical brownouts in 100F+ weather were miserable as well.

I appreciate the advice to leave California but I'm stuck here by fragile finances and fear of real weather. Plus I'm a stalwart anti-lawbreaker and I'm a really bad liar and if I got stopped and questioned with a lead ball stuffed in my barrel, carrying a few bismuth balls, my body language would give me away immediately and the warden would make me pull the ball. And in California fish and game fines are stratospheric. And as the OP said the wardens are really smart from experience and they know all the tricks. Plus they are unapologetic, explaining that they never give breaks to people because the department is funded with fees and fines. And remember my rifle is 60 caliber so I doubt there are any ready-made approved projectiles for my muzzleloader. I can't buy a custom mold just to make a few bismuth balls. Maybe I really will experiment with shooting short thick arrows similar to the benneke slug made of some lighter material but I suppose those could be unapproved for muzzleloader hunts too. Hmmm.... I'm getting an idea... may the Lord help me.

ITX has .62 balls. If you're shooting a straight .60 caliber and are unwilling to spend $100-200 for a custom mold to cast up bismuth alloy, then, yes, you're out of luck. But there are plenty of options with more commonly-used calibers. For $300-500, you can find a decent .50 rifle to hunt with and have more options than you have time to play with -- everything from traditional PRB shooters to fast-twist flintlocks for shooting sabots.

Try McMaster-Carr, under 'lead detectors.' And by the way: sneaking around trying not to get caught breaking the law isn't a 'protest.' If you're going to protest a law by breaking it, you do so in public and take your punishment like a man. Read up on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 😏

https://www.mcmaster.com/lead-detectors/
This is a state that made theft legal ???? No I’m thinking if that law ever comes here I’ll become a criminal.
Been hunting as a law abiding citizen, never saw a game warden in the woods, and at check stations never had the wound looked at.
I know people who have shot deer and then ran an arrow through the wound.
Or when it was illegal shot with a cross bow but had a regular bow with them when checked.
Far far more who never checked their game.

This is a state that made theft legal ???? No I’m thinking if that law ever comes here I’ll become a criminal.
Been hunting as a law abiding citizen, never saw a game warden in the woods, and at check stations never had the wound looked at.
I know people who have shot deer and then ran an arrow through the wound.
Or when it was illegal shot with a cross bow but had a regular bow with them when checked.
Far far more who never checked their game.
If you approve of that sort of shenanigans, you aren't my idea of a law-abiding citizen. If you don't approve, maybe you should rethink the company you keep. And California hasn't 'made theft legal.'
“What Prop 47 did is increase the dollar amount by which theft can be prosecuted as a felony from $400 to $950 to adjust for inflation and cost of living. But most shoplifting cases are under $400 dollars to begin with, so before Prop 47 and after Prop 47, there isn’t any difference.”
Might I suggest that you can't necessarily believe everything you read on Facebook?. 😁

Last edited:
If you approve of that sort of shenanigans, you aren't my idea of a law-abiding citizen. If you don't approve, maybe you should rethink the company you keep. And California hasn't 'made theft legal.'
Might I suggest that you shouldn't believe everything you read on Facebook?. 😁
I’m not on face book, but have seen the shopping carts full of stuff being wheeled out of stores, with no sort of punishment. They have forced the closings of multiple stores.
When the law stops serving the people the people are no longer bound by the law.
The sole reason for the lead band is to drive up the price of ammo out of reach of many people

I’m not on face book, but have seen the shopping carts full of stuff being wheeled out of stores, with no sort of punishment. They have forced the closings of multiple stores.
When the law stops serving the people the people are no longer bound by the law.
The sole reason for the lead band is to drive up the price of ammo out of reach of many people
Taking this private, because I don't want to get the thread locked. I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Ahh Troy, you've been missing out all your life on thrill of outwitting the game warden. Being the backwoods hick that I am if I'd have gotten caught I would have taken it like a man. But, I didn't get caught and the statute of limitations has long since run out. It's one of those things that you will never understand and therefore I can't explain to you. No doubt you don't agree but that's OK with me. Keep on having fun!

Ahh Troy, you've been missing out all your life on thrill of outwitting the game warden. Being the backwoods hick that I am if I'd have gotten caught I would have taken it like a man. But, I didn't get caught and the statute of limitations has long since run out. It's one of those things that you will never understand and therefore I can't explain to you. No doubt you don't agree but that's OK with me. Keep on having fun!
I guess I'm a little on the straight and narrow side in some ways. My dad raised me to believe that breaking the rules while other people were following them was cheating, and he had no respect for cheaters. :)

He pounded a few other things in, too. Like, "there's nothing wrong with enjoying a hunt, but it's wrong to hunt just for enjoyment." And, "as a general rule, you don't kill something unless you're going to eat it, or it's about to eat you." And, "if you see a rattlesnake in your back yard, you kill it to protect the kids and dogs. If you see one out in the desert, you're in his back yard. Leave him alone."

Last edited:
I guess I'm a little on the straight and narrow side in some ways. My dad raised me to believe that breaking the rules while other people were following them was cheating, and he had no respect for cheaters. :)
Let's hear it for straight and narrow. It's a good philosophy to live by, but in today's world it frequently means you are out of step with the crowd. So be it.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I---
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Spence

You could Paper Patch a Steel Bolt piece of Rebar cut to a legnth that would match the wieght of what you need. All wrapped up in nice soft Newspaper and dipped in Lard, Beeswax, Sawn Dishiwashing soap it should slide ver nicely. it may Tumbe a bit in flight, but hey that just mades a Bigger Hole when it hists something. and its also Armor Piercing which may come in handy. Put a nice thick piece of wadding. ( Most likley wont be able to find Toilet Paper in the Stores, as once this idea gets out, everyone will be hording it again) but you could use old rags dipped in somthing like Fluid Film. its Sheep Lanolin so it makes your hands soft and does not scar the Wild Animules away. may attract wolves, but hey theres no limit on them, they say there are not even any around New England. a Guy up this way shot one and brought it to a taxidermist and the Game wardens told him he could not shoot a wolf. He pulled out the Official Statement from The Wardarns that said there are No wolfs in Maine/ New Hampshire so it must be a Coyote. How can they argue with themselves?

Attachments

• Steel Bullett.jpg
    Steel Bullett.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 36
Granted Cal. and hunting do not get along.
BUT, in the far north of Ca. it can be a black powder persons dream. From my house within 15 miles there are 4 Rhondys of 175+ shooters. Two of which have a monthly shoot.
If I expand out to a couple of hours of driving, there are 15 Rhondys.
All of these are on large ranches with multiple trail walks
I do believe this is far better than most of the rest of our beautiful country.
But I do wish I could hunt with lead.
Doc,

I agree with troy2000 and think he is right.
Crazy thing these days is that both of the ARE right! When you do everything right, walk a straight path, and tried to as honest as possible but the state decides to make you the enemy, you don’t have a choice but to become the enemy of the state!

Lead free regs are an annoyance but hardly the demon people make it out to be. Get some ITX or bismuth, try a thicker or thinner patch, play with your powder charge and have some fun with it. I'll spend more in gas in any given season than I do on my shooting.

I know there's little hope of changing anyone's mind, but better information is available, and conspiracy theories are not the answer to everything. tenngun, read this and tell me why it's all a hoax, and how you know that is the case.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/wild-game-deer-venison-condors-meat-lead-ammunition-ban/
Spence
How much lead did they have to give the pigs to get that amount, in their blood?
A 150 grain modern rifle bullet will run about 8 grams lead. Should it lose 10% that means there would be 800 mg across the wound. Most of that would be in the blood shot areas that people generally dispose of
Lead fragments will pass through your digestion and shed very little off them
If you swallow an ounce of bird shot you will poop about 99.99% of an ounce of shot
Romans had trouble with lead because it was already in solution when they got it. They had lead water pipes and lead mugs
While not ‘safe’ a fragment of solid lead won’t put a lot in to your blood. Our bodies don’t use lead, the lead has to sneak through normal absorption.
Next question here is safety. Can we connect any problems in people eating the game with higher blood levels of lead with a dysfunction?
You die with out water or oxygen, both can kill you if you get too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back