• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting Handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to add a handgun for hunting on my list of needs. I want either a .44 cal revolver or .50 cal percussion singleshot (since I have a .50 cal rifle) that's at a reasonable cost (under $600) that can handle a steady diet of 55-60 grns of 3F with a RB, or 45+ with a conical.

I want a Walker, both because of it's historical significance, and it's head turning qualities. But I hear all too often how the wedge deforms with heavy charges. If a few extra wedges will keep it going fine I suppose it would be a small price to pay as long as the cylinder gap doesn't open up.

I'd even be open to something like a Lyman's Plains pistol, but it has a max load of 40 grns with a PRB.

I would consider a Dragoon, but my Old Army can duplicate what this can do at a lesser weight and better sights.

So are there any other options besides a Walker?

Howdah pistol.

CVA Hawken Pistol.

just off the top of my head two pistols that would work. I wouldn't put as much powder in the Lyman or CVA as you seem determined to use. No need.

I would like something that can handle a larger charge than my Old Army if I find myself with the opportunity to either move where the game animals are larger.

It seems there are a few people who use 1858's, 1860's, and Old Army's to hunt medium game, though it seems there are more who feel they aren't quite adequate. Where I'm at now I'm sure it's plenty as the two largest animals normally hunted (we have a few elk, mule deer, and buffalo) are hogs and axis. The weight should be under 400 lbs. The deer generally run 75-125 lbs in the Hill Country, which is where I'd normally hunt.

I keep thinking that the Walker is what I want (want one anyway) for this, but don't know if a few extra wedges will keep it working well or if it still opens up the cylinder gap or stretches the arbor slot.

The Howdah is quite expensive, and I'm not fond of used guns unless I can handle it. Even still I'd prefer new.

In the book Treasure Island, Long John Silver entrusts a pistol to young Hawkins, saying a wee bit of powder and a large ball is what kills a man.

There is an element of truth to that. A large ball doesn't need supersonic speeds to kill at pistol ranges.

Many muzzleloader shooters make the mistake of thinking more powder nets proportionately more power and range. It simply isn't true. Especially at handgun distances. Although the 50 may match your rifle, and that is convenient, the 54 or even a 58 round ball gun would be a better choice. Lyman makes a 54. There were a few horse pistol reproductions that came in 58 caliber. The Springfield pistol comes to mind. In the on-line auctions they come up about every three weeks and run in the $300 to 400 range.

The pedersoli bounty with it's long 50 cal barrel is a pistol that has some popularity around PA. A buddy of mine simply made an extra long barrel for his CVA mountain pistol to make up his own.

The entry level Traditions deer hunter with the pistol grip wooden stock is easily cut down into a pistol and can be purchased for about $120

Lyman's Plains Pistol:

Would you trust a .490" PRB pushed by 40 grns of 3F Triple 7 on a larger game animal, such as a cow elk, at say 35 yds? Do you feel this would be superior to a .457" RB pushed by 45 grns?

I'd definitely think the .530" PRB pushed by 50 grns would be far superior to the .50 cal, and maybe I ought to consider this anyway, though I do like for my supplies/components to multi purpose. I don't really want to need to stock up on or carry a variety of stuff.

I ask about a large game pistol as we are considering moving to Colorado or northern Arizona/New Mexico if possible. If not, maybe Kentucky or Tennessee near the Appalachians. If the latter there's not much need for a large game firearm... Until then we are stuck in the middle of Texas where I miss winters.

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Deerstalker barrel in .54 cal to have cut down to ~18-20" for use as a hog hunting rifle. If that is the case I'd be more inclined to look for a .54 cal pistol.

But I'm sure my 24" .50 cal barrel is plenty useful. It is why I chose it. I figured if a .490" RB wasn't enough for what I intended on hunting I'd just switch to a conical. I'm not sure if 4-6" taken off would make much of a difference in it's handling to warrant it.

Not hijacking the thread, just asking for a little more info on the rifle conversion to a hunting handgun. Where can this rifle be found and is that what it is called. What calibers does it come in? Thanks.

rodwha said:
I would like something that can handle a larger charge than my Old Army if I find myself with the opportunity to either move where the game animals are larger.
Have you considered a Colt Dragoon, probably a 3rd model? The chambers are intermediate in volume between Walker and 1860.

Regards,
Joel

I don't think it would give me much more than my Old Army can do at less weight and with better sights. Especially if/when I get a Classic Ballsistix cylinder.

And the Dragoon just doesn't have the same history (the gun that brought ole Sam Colt back, and for the Texas Rangers) as the Walker. And there's something about a pistol that uses a small rifle charge! I'll bet it's like holding onto thunder!

My dragoon holds 55 grains of ffg. Not much less than a Walker. How much does the Old Army hold?

Warmest Regards,
Robert

There are alot of people who can hit a barn with a Ruger OA, with a walker, not so many.

One of my modern unmentionable pistols is factory rated for 100 grains with a round ball. According to TC it develops over 1000 ft pounds ME.

No reason why a traditional pistol can't be built to match that.

Replica pistols are all about military repros that were never designed with the hunter (oo, oo, nowadays we should say civilian) in mind. Decide what you want, design it and do it.

I can fit 45 grns per my adjustable measure and add a RB with ever so slight bit of extra room that might hold two more grains.

I'm not really sure about the need to reduce the max load when using Triple 7 as Hodgdon's site doesn't state such, but since so many people believe it necessary, and because Uberti states not to use anything other than BP or Pyrodex, I'd give it a max load of about 5 grns less. I thought the Dragoon only held 50 grns to begin with, which is why I stated what I did.

The Classic Ballistix cylinder holds an extra 5-10 grns. That would give about 50-55 grns or so.

I would have figured the pistols sold by Lyman's or Traditions would have been built from a rifle barrel piece, and therefor could handle a heavier charge.

Can enough powder even be utilized in a typical .50 cal pistol to adequately send a PRB fast enough to expect a pass through on a large game animal at 50 yds?

yes, but it is a function of barrel wall thickness and bore length and bore diameter. Many pistols are not the same barrels as a piece of rifle barrel. a few have 7/8 50 cal barrels
A 15/16 or one inch barrel is a bear to hold especially if a longer barrel like 12 inches.

I have been told that the lyman pistol lock is actually a smaller version of the rifle lock. Not interchangeable with the rifle. Perhaps the breech plug and barrel is scaled down too. I would buy a Lyman pistol if it came in flint, but Lyman isn't interested in making such a thing.

I have several percussion pistols. It is the flinters in hunting power that are not available except by special custom makers. My preference would be a 58 with a 12 inch barrel, thick and heavy at the breech and turned round and shaved down to the muzzle. Something like a tower pistol but rifled with front and rear sight.

I've already hunted with my Walker. Just had some more pork chops (tonight's dinner) from the sow I shot with it last April: 52 grains of Goex 3Fg under a Lee 225 grain soft lead conical. One-shot stop through both lungs. Hog just fell-over sideways, lol!

I have been shooting my Walker with .454 balls for years and never bent my wedge with the same 52 grain charge. Won plenty of competitions over these past several years. Even hit a Gong at 135 yards.

Once you get used to just letting the explosion happen (at ignition) without moving the gun, you'll find the Walker to be a true tack-driver. Especially with the correct two-handed grip.

Would I try shooting an Elk with a Walker? Maybe for a finishing shot. 125 pound deer? All day long and with no trouble.

Dave

I suppose I'll just end finding out for myself.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the manufacturer of the Walker. Or maybe the time in which it was made (older/newer).
No doubt one's stout load of standard Goex isn't really comparable to the same load of Swiss also.

Another option would be to obtain a new cylinder for your ROA from Classicballistix.

They are bored deeper and smoother and will hold more powder than the Ruger cylinder.

Back