• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting equipment carried

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When deer hunting, I wear a wool vest with two large and one small pockets and a 4x6 strip of elastic sewn into slots. The slots hold four pre-measured tubes of powder, the fifth slot a flat priming horn. One large pocket carries a small loading block with four patched round balls and a short starter. The other large pocket carries some cleaning patches, a flint wallet with a couple of spare flints, a spare leather, and a small turnscrew. I have never seen the need to have more ammunition than that, having never needed a second shot on a deer. My knife, a pen (with my license), a Chapstick, and lighter are in the upper small pocket that is zippered.

ADK Bigfoot

If I am hunting I bring my rifle, a possibles bag and in it is the standard powder, caps, balls, patch worm, ball puller, patches and a small bag with some food service gloves, a couple of razors and my hunting license. (I have found that 2 brand new box cutter razors make the job of field dressing much easier than a knife.)

If I am hunting I bring my rifle, a possibles bag and in it is the standard powder, caps, balls, patch worm, ball puller, patches and a small bag with some food service gloves, a couple of razors and my hunting license. (I have found that 2 brand new box cutter razors make the job of field dressing much easier than a knife.)
Last season I bought a knife with replaceable razor blade. I found the pressure needed to dress the deer popped the razor loose. I was very disappointed.

When I'm hunting on my property I don't need as much I have an elevated blind that is stocked with most of the things I need. Often though I hunt the islands on the Mississippi River and access them by canoe that's when I need the pack basket with whatever I'll use that day.

I have some Federal land I hunt some, that requires either a canoe or chest waders to get into. The canoe I can chain up, I never know how to take care of the waders. Once I hit high ground there is no need for either. The waders are too big for my backpack and too important to have someone walk away with.

Last season I bought a knife with replaceable razor blade. I found the pressure needed to dress the deer popped the razor loose. I was very disappointed.
I just use the razors as is. Works like a scapple really. I even use them when I butcher. Takes about 5-10 of them for most deer, I buy them by the 100 so there is always plenty around. Keep a heavy knife nearby for the harder stuff.

There is an article in the current issue of Muzzleloader that covers this topic. Actually it’s more along the lines of “Trekking”. Have not read it yet. Got other stuff to do first. Maybe tonight..maybe not. I like talking my time with this Mag.

RM

Long time ago, I bought a tool at Art's Hawken Shop in St. Louis that screws together and hangs by a leather thong (like a shoelace, not a lady's underwear). The whole thing's only a few inches long but converts to a nipple wrench, screwdriver, and a spring steel nipple/vent pick. It always goes along and saved several hunts.

Everyone's covered what I carry (which changes depending on what, when, and where I hunt). I'd be remiss to not admonish a cellphone in a ziplock bag as a "just plain smart" thing. I've dealt with too many injured or really sick (as in heart attack sick) outdoors people to ever go hunting, fishing, or diddlin' around without one.
The ziplock bag to actually carry the phone in will save it when you "float your hat" (fall in or step off'n a deep water hole).

Have fun and take a youngster with you.

I use a small leather HC day bag with the basics for the rifle. I always carry a small fire kit, first aid kit, with blood stopper, a cheap disposable poncho & a good survival/blanket. If you can stay dry & fairly warm, you will usually get to see the sun come up! First aid kit is important in case you get cut cleaning the deer etc.! Not a boo boo kit, but a blood stopping kit. Everything fits in pockets etc. my small bag, my larger hunting bag.

Attachments

• Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    Black Powder Stuff 3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • black powder stuff 4.jpg
    black powder stuff 4.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
If I'm hunting small game it's just a shooting bag with normal shooting supplies and a canteen of water. When I'm hunting deer and will be out for most of the day I carry the above and a trapper's basket with food, a hand ax, a change of socks (wool), an extra knife, a flashlight, and whatever else I may need. I rarely carry a phone.
You should always have your phone it could save your life. Ps iv had heart attack in the woods no fun

Latest posts

Back