• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting equipment carried

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 Premeasured charges with appropriate round ball and patches. A primer and a knife. For small game it is different because of needing wads and shot. I use a hunting bag horn and powder measure then.

Everything goes in the bag for the rifle, Ball block that holds 5 pre patched balls, small flat prime horn, a bit of patching material and a small tin of patch lube. short starter, powder measure is attached to the over the shoulder strap as well as vent pick and pan brush on a hand forged chain that is long enough to place them in the bag, small ball bag containing 10 extra balls, Belt knife on my side, Haversack carries lunch and a tool kit to include extra flints, powder horn and off to the woods. Simple lite and good for a day hunting deer. Most of the items never come out of the bag unless a follow up shot is needed and thats only happened once.

It depends on the weapon I take. With my 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore after small game, I have my shooting bag, horn, and shot pouch. Bag has wads, extra flints (flint wallet with cleaning tools), tin of bees wax and olive oil, pick and brush and powder/shot measures. With my rifles, horn, shooting bag with flint wallet, pick, brush, tin of lube, patches, ball and measure.
The extra at the range is a fixed loading/cleaning rod, ballistol and water mix.

Depends on how far away from camp I expect to be. Whole day out, big game, 5 measured loads and CO2 dis-charger with multi tool and nipple wrench, all in a small fanny pack.
Closer to camp, small game, shoot from the bag.

My hunting gear for big game (deer) is a pocket item I made that holds two quick loads, two patched balls a short starter and a sleeve to hold caps, or if shooting a flint lock the sleeve holds my pan primer. See Pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
I carry my rifle bag and my horn.
The bag holds ball, patch, lube, tools, flints, a patch knife, a skinning knife, measure, a bullet mold and ladle, a compass, a tinder box, and a small hatchet
I have a snapsack, which holds my ration, my water, mitts, extra blaze orange, my phone, my flashlight, my first aid kit, and my drag rope.

LD

Capper, three extra powder loads/balls, roll of patching, short starter, and nipple wrench. Of course I have the other odds and ends (rope, coffee, tp, etc.) in a back pack.

The bag holds ball, patch, lube, tools, flints, a patch knife, a skinning knife, measure, a bullet mold and ladle, a compass, a tinder box, and a small hatchet
I have a snapsack, which holds my ration, my water, mitts, extra blaze orange, my phone, my flashlight, my first aid kit, and my drag rope.

LD
No one can say you aren’t prepared!

647D78C0-24A4-49EF-931C-67EFBCD24AF1.jpeg

When I’m using a smoothbore, I like this hunting pouch best. The image is upside down, but you can see where I keep my heavy wads in a tin, and my nitro cards and over shot cards in separate pouches.

01E953C7-1E91-4E63-93A4-0A6BBE674301.jpeg

General powder horns, powder/shot measure, a pick and a good sharp knife.

7A66A9CA-800F-4663-8D55-9B09A17E6478.jpeg

My flint wallet has extra flints and my knapping tools to sharpen the flints as needed. I don’t seem to have an image of my shot pouch…

The deer tine has a finishing nail/pressure flaker built into one end and a turn screw in the other end. The turn screw serves quite well to Knapp dull flints. The piece of leather slips over my finger to protect it when knapping my flint, or pressure flaking. I‘m usually reduced to pressure flaking when I’ve gotten to the very end and I’m doing that last final sharpening, before the flint is done, and a new one is needed.

AE678353-AA72-4574-93C3-BD2F068D6C6A.jpeg

Combine it all with a day hunting small game, and you have the makings of an amazing day in the field.

Last edited:

LD
How do you carry the lube? PC/HC or plastic bottle?

If I'm hunting small game it's just a shooting bag with normal shooting supplies and a canteen of water. When I'm hunting deer and will be out for most of the day I carry the above and a trapper's basket with food, a hand ax, a change of socks (wool), an extra knife, a flashlight, and whatever else I may need. I rarely carry a phone.

Good info here! Like others, my range/hunting bag is the same. Now, what might get stuffed into a haversack or snapsaack for a day (ot 2!) out in the woods ...that's different!

I like Grimord's ingenuity, but I coned my barrel, so no short-starter is needed, but I like the concept!

It’s interesting to read how everyone outfits themselves because it reflects the area and manner in which they hunt. If I’m out deer hunting it’s 1/2 day at a time as I’ll usually end up back in camp for lunch. I’ll carry a small bag. I have a bullet block that holds just two patched balls. I’ll have 2 or three more balls in the bag. I’ll have a few lubed patches in a small tin and my capper. I’ll also have a few pre-measured powder charges in the bag. I keep a few cleaning patches in the bag in case I feel I need to swab the barrel (then it’s with a spit patch). Other than that I’ll have a small knife and my fire kit on my belt.

Depends on how many days of hunting and how many days away from the convenience of the car.

But, assuming a pack in, it all goes into a single shooting bag: a strip of prelubed patching (in a container), a bunch of wiping/cleaning patches, about ten loose balls, a start block with a few balls, some caps in their tin with a few cleaning patches in it for silencing, a leather capper and measure on a neck lanyard, a nipple wrench, a handle with a steel threaded rod matching the threads of the onboard rod which has threaded rod tips on both ends, a jag on the rod, a smallish short starter, maybe a patch knife on the bag strap, a powder horn on a separate shoulder strap.

That's about it.

To the range, for many years I brought a huge box full of 'stuff' needed for matches with various rifles. I also had tools to help others with problems. The box even had a vise. Eventually it got so heavy I was considering adding a V-8 and wheels to move it around. Couple years ago I got a little smarter and switched to a plastic tackle box, sans the tools and mostly unneeded stuff. In the field essentials in a shooting bag but the box is back at the truck if needed.

Back