• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting equipment carried

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 147211
When I’m using a smoothbore, I like this hunting pouch best. The image is upside down, but you can see where I keep my heavy wads in a tin, and my nitro cards and over shot cards in separate pouches.

View attachment 147212
General powder horns, powder/shot measure, a pick and a good sharp knife.

View attachment 147213
My flint wallet has extra flints and my knapping tools to sharpen the flints as needed. I don’t seem to have an image of my shot pouch…

The deer tine has a finishing nail/pressure flaker built into one end and a turn screw in the other end. The turn screw serves quite well to Knapp dull flints. The piece of leather slips over my finger to protect it when knapping my flint, or pressure flaking. I‘m usually reduced to pressure flaking when I’ve gotten to the very end and I’m doing that last final sharpening, before the flint is done, and a new one is needed.

View attachment 147214
Combine it all with a day hunting small game, and you have the makings of an amazing day in the field.
Very nice kit. How much does it weigh?

Very nice kit. How much does it weigh?
I don’t know…I’ve never thought to weigh it. Guessing, I’d say at most 2lbs, plus the weight of my shot snake

I’ve made about 6 of these shooting bags. They’re made of untreated canvas. Some have horns attached…others do not.

One shooting bag is setup for 10 gauge, another for 11 gauge, another for 20 gauge…the remaining are just hanging on a hook in my gun room as loners as needed.

When an outdoors person doesn't show up, a cellphone can make the difference not only between getting help in time, but also finding your carcass before the blowflies make maggots. Nowadays, phones can be "pinged" to get at least a location on the last time used. Handling search parties is a big deal and risks getting people hurt during the search. Been there, done that.

Most common hunting injury in Missouri is falling out of treestands, not sucking chest wounds. Besides, even with no signal, you can take a photo of your muzzleloader, mess of squirrels, and share with us right here. Cool!
I never even thought about that
will be adding my cell phone to my list next hunt

That is why you do not hunt from tree stands. That is bad karma, because you know deer do not look up. It's cheating. (IMHO)Do it the right way, hunt on the ground!
I do not know about your experiences with the deer looking up I have seen them look up, I do not hunt from tree stands the fall is to far and the ground and rocks are un-forgiving.

I do not know about your experiences with the deer looking up I have seen them look up, I do not hunt from tree stands the fall is to far and the ground and rocks are un-forgiving.
The may look up briefly if they hear something or are looking up the side of a steep hill etc but it is not what they naturally do, because they have no "SKY predators" other than man.(IMHO)

I don’t know…I’ve never thought to weigh it. Guessing I’d say at most 2lbs, plus the weight of my shot snake.

I’ve made about 6 of these shooting bags. They’re made of untreated canvas. Some have horns attached…others do not.

One shooting bag is set up forten0 gauge, another for 11 gauge, another for 20 gauge…the remaining are just hanging on a hook in my gun room as loners as needed.

I have a canvas messenger bag I am planning to o the same with. Looks like a possibles bag but not leather. Currently building my first gun - a .58 cal smooth bore. Went in that direction for the versatility.

Sure like the idea of having a different bag for different guns set up ahead of time.
This has been my summer project. At first, I was looking for a new rifle, then the more I thought about it - I wanted to outfit each rifle I shoot regularly. I’m setting up a bag and horn for the three rifles I shoot the most (and hunt with). That includes all the necessary items in the pouch. I want to be able to grab a rifle out of the safe and snatch the bag/horn off a peg and tear out for the woods.

This has been my summer project. At first, I was looking for a new rifle, then the more I thought about it - I wanted to outfit each rifle I shoot regularly. I’m setting up a bag and horn for the three rifles I shoot the most (and hunt with). That includes all the necessary items in the pouch. I want to be able to grab a rifle out of the safe and snatch the bag/horn off a peg and tear out for the woods.
I have a different bag for every gun but not horns, horns have different powder (2F, 3F) with the powder designation marked discreetly on the back side of the strap in case I forget, usually do not BUT.... some I do not use very often so I forget.

I have a canvas messenger bag I am planning to o the same with. Looks like a possibles bag but not leather. Currently building my first gun - a .58 cal smooth bore. Went in that direction for the versatility.
Smoothbores are incredibly versatile...I did not realize how much, until I got one and started taking it into the field and actively using it.

Game changer…

I carry a huge box of “stuff” to the table at the range. What do you reduce down to carry in the woods.
When I am hunting I carry the gun I am using and about 5 or 6 rounds of ammo. I have a knife and a bag to hold small game or a drag-harness if I am hunting deer. Now days I also have my cell phone, a canteen of water, a small first aid kit and some light snacks. In my truck I do have emergency gear in case something happens to the gun.

I have an old WWII canvas Messanger Bag, folds up nicely, very light. This makes a great game bag for rabbits, squirrels, doves, etc.

Can’t wait to see images of the smoothbore.

Some of the best days I ever had hunting was when I was 'hunkered" down, in a small depression I had dug out behind a big 'blow down" using it as a wind break, snowing fairly well, and single digit temps. I had a small seat built up from logs and had placed some branches, to complete my "screen" to hide any inadvertent movement I might make and was quite comfortable. I was just sitting so still, and the forest looked medieval in is quiet and beauty from the snow, i never moved or twitched, and a small bird came and landed on the end of my barrel! It stayed a moment or two, and then off it went. I have never forgotten that moment!
Very similar situation. A chickadee landed on my hat brim (I could see his toes curled under) and he then landed on the muzzle and peeked down the bore. I didn't see a deer that day but have never forgotten the chickadee!

Latest posts

Back