• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting equipment carried

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt alone most of the time. I tell my Wife where I will be hunting and parking, if she knows the area. If she doesn't know the area, I mark the spot on a map which I leave with her. I leave a two way radio in my Jeep and carry one with me. Both radios are on the same channel so if she were to have come looking for me we could communicate assuming I was conscious . Most of my hunting is in areas with no cell signal. I don't want to be too overly careful but I'm a "old timer" and things happen.

My buddy and I get together once or twice a year to chase squirrels. We usually make a day of it, lunch in the woods and lots of walking. We both carry 20 ga fowlers. Aside from horn and pouch, I carry a snapsack I made many years ago. It holds lunch, the stove , extra blaze orange, camera, and whatever else I think I might need.
AAC16C43-44A2-4CE5-A3F1-016853FEDD04.jpeg

I hunt alone most of the time. I tell my Wife where I will be hunting and parking, if she knows the area. If she doesn't know the area, I mark the spot on a map which I leave with her. I leave a two way radio in my Jeep and carry one with me. Both radios are on the same channel so if she were to have come looking for me we could communicate assuming I was conscious . Most of my hunting is in areas with no cell signal. I don't want to be too overly careful but I'm a "old timer" and things happen.
It pays to think ahead and be smart. Old or young, stupidity kills.

You should always have your phone it could save your life. Ps iv had heart attack in the woods no fun
When I'm hunting the Island on the Mississippi the only way in is by boat and on foot, these places are so wooly you couldn't get a Helo on the ground. They would have to snorkel me through the trees..:)

When I was still able to hunt I usually carried a featherweight canvas folding seat with a carrying strap. Occasionally I'd climb one of the ladder stands put there by a friend. I carry a backpack with phone, knives, ropes; all I need for field dressing a deer. Seldom did I carry a shooting bag but the contents never varied whether or not a shooting bag/horn was carried. Usually I stuffed my pockets or bag with 5 Xtra balls, a few prelubed patches, 5 measured powder charges, small priming horn, short starter, extra flint and a Snickers bar of course. I hunted in the deep South where feral dog packs and canebrake rattlers were always something to look out for.

With small game I carried a day bag & horn containing all the above; one never knows how many shots will be fired chasing squirrels. I only hunted half a day at that time.
Small day bags & horns I made.

I carry my rifle bag and my horn.
The bag holds ball, patch, lube, tools, flints, a patch knife, a skinning knife, measure, a bullet mold and ladle, a compass, a tinder box, and a small hatchet
I have a snapsack, which holds my ration, my water, mitts, extra blaze orange, my phone, my flashlight, my first aid kit, and my drag rope.

LD
Personally would consider the bullet mold and ladle (and lead to cast bullets) to be dead weight for most hunting. I just make sure I have a sufficient quantity of lead ball. Or am I missing something?

Last season I bought a knife with replaceable razor blade. I found the pressure needed to dress the deer popped the razor loose. I was very disappointed.
Sounds like a Harbor Freight Pittsburgh brand razor blade knife. I have an older Superknife that locks the razor blade in place, no quick change or popping loose.

I may look at something very small for my pocket just as an "in case time presents itself." @Grimord is inspiring me. Making one similar that could go in one pocket and a flint wallet in the other would be good for a quick afternoon or morning. My drag rope and knife in another pocket and I'd be set.

I carry the bare essentials.

Rifle:
Powder horn
powder measure
loading block with 4 balls and patches
short starter
3 cleaning patches
1 extra fitted flint
together on a ring: vent pick, pan brush, knapping hammer, screwdriver
If I'm squirrel hunting, I will carry some additonal loose ball and ticking.

Smoothbore:
Powder horn
powder measure
shoulder strap shot pouch
1 extra fitted flint
short starter
3 cleaning patches
together on a ring: vent pick, pan brush, knapping hammer, screwdriver
in the bottom of the pouch: nitro cards, and overshot cards (easy to tell the difference by touch)
in a tobacco tin I keep lubed patches and oil saturated cushion wads.
also loose roundball in the bottom of the pouch.

I just use the razors as is. Works like a scapple really. I even use them when I butcher. Takes about 5-10 of them for most deer, I buy them by the 100 so there is always plenty around. Keep a heavy knife nearby for the harder stuff.
Years ago watched a taxidermist cape out a deer in minutes with just a hand held single edge razor blade. Have included using razor blades since when processing animals.

When an outdoors person doesn't show up, a cellphone can make the difference not only between getting help in time, but also finding your carcass before the blowflies make maggots. Nowadays, phones can be "pinged" to get at least a location on the last time used. Handling search parties is a big deal and risks getting people hurt during the search. Been there, done that.

Most common hunting injury in Missouri is falling out of treestands, not sucking chest wounds. Besides, even with no signal, you can take a photo of your muzzleloader, mess of squirrels, and share with us right here. Cool!

When an outdoors person doesn't show up, a cellphone can make the difference not only between getting help in time, but also finding your carcass before the blowflies make maggots. Nowadays, phones can be "pinged" to get at least a location on the last time used. Handling search parties is a big deal and risks getting people hurt during the search. Been there, done that.

Most common hunting injury in Missouri is falling out of treestands, not sucking chest wounds. Besides, even with no signal, you can take a photo of your muzzleloader, mess of squirrels, and share with us right here. Cool!
That is why you do not hunt from tree stands. That is bad karma, because you know deer do not look up. It's cheating. (IMHO)Do it the right way, hunt on the ground!

Some of the best days I ever had hunting was when I was 'hunkered" down, in a small depression I had dug out behind a big 'blow down" using it as a wind break, snowing fairly well, and single digit temps. I had a small seat built up from logs and had placed some branches, to complete my "screen" to hide any inadvertent movement I might make and was quite comfortable. I was just sitting so still, and the forest looked medieval in is quiet and beauty from the snow, i never moved or twitched, and a small bird came and landed on the end of my barrel! It stayed a moment or two, and then off it went. I have never forgotten that moment!

Back