Hunting coat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
oilcloth.
Oilcloth was known and could be had anywhere a white trader went. But in general we don’t see I much inland from the coast too much, then we tend to see more Spanish brown.
Wool can turn some rain, and is warm wet, but folks tended to get wet when it rained.
For all our he-man laugh at cold and suffer through bad weather, the real folks in the past knew the value of a good roof and warm fire in nasty weather
I recall a line from Big Trouble in Little China
I brave man likes the feel of nature on his face and the old wizard s answer of a wise man knows enough to come in out of tge rain

Reaction score
Oilcloth was known and could be had anywhere a white trader went. But in general we don’t see I much inland from the coast too much, then we tend to see more Spanish brown.
Wool can turn some rain, and is warm wet, but folks tended to get wet when it rained.
For all our he-man laugh at cold and suffer through bad weather, the real folks in the past knew the value of a good roof and warm fire in nasty weather
I recall a line from Big Trouble in Little China
I brave man likes the feel of nature on his face and the old wizard s answer of a wise man knows enough to come in out of tge rain
Back a few years ago I made myself a hunter frock with treated tent canvas, it turns water well but is a bit stiff and uncomfortable.

Reaction score
Meshack Browning would crawl into bear dens , and had no 911 ambulance to get him to poor medical help. My neighbor a couple miles over by the Tuscarora Ridge , was setting up a camera to see what was visiting his berry patch. Sow w/ one cub decided to munch on him. She bit him on the butt , and behind the knee , and skinned the calf from behind the knee down to his heel. He was able to get a club , and repeatedly struck her good on the bridge of the nose until she had had enough and ran away.
Old Meshack repeatedly went after bears , because their meat ,and hides brought the best money. He would stick wounded bears in the heart/ lungs with his hunting knife , while his dogs kept the critter busy. I've spent a lot of time in that part of the Appalachian range ,I grew up there. It's a wild place , and I wouldn't consider even getting near a black bear w/o a big gun............oldwood

amicalola

32 Cal
Reaction score
Been looking at Cobb Creek 1750's hunting coat, cannot decide if linen or cotton is the way to go. What is everyone's opinion, does anyone have any other coats or companies to recommend. I like frocks but I'm really in the mood for a coat, I like the look.
OPINION- I really like Linen. Seems cooler, and I “believe” it is actually warmer. I think worth extra price. I don’t know who made it. I wear normal clothes under it and use as “overcoat”.

sturmkatze

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys , If you wanted to read how Pa. , and Md. , Appalachian Mtn. hunters got along hunting in a howling wilderness , read the book , "44 yrs. a Hunter ", by Meshack Browning. His career started shortly before 1800 , and he lived near Friendsville , Md.. Back then , the only supply came from Cumberland , Md. , 30 miles east through high mtns. , and deep valleys. Horses were used to transport big game back from the hunts.
There were no weather forcasts either. If it snowed , and rained , you got wet , and stayed under some natural cover , hopefully,by a small fire , hopefully. Don't think much of that gene pool exists today in the wokers and their push button brain boxes..........oldwood
Wow, I was just through Cumberland last night in the truck, due to a big backup on the pike due to construction.

Big hills in the truck. Thank God I was light. New truck, good Jake brake. I was thinking how sucky it would be in the olden days...

Boatncamp

western edge of the Catskills
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There is an old saying among hikers and hunters that cotton kills. It has the nasty habit of holding onto moisture whether from rain or perspiration. If your hunting season involves freezing temperatures I would opt for a wool coat. I believe that I have seen that a section of an old wool blanket put over the shoulders in nasty weather help shed rain and snow to help keep you warm. You throw it over your shoulders and gather it together in front and hold it with anything from a stick pushed through the layers to a blanket pin or other appropriate device.

Hate to be downer but make sure that your state / local hunting regulations don't require that you wear blaze orange.

If looking for a reasonable wool period wool coat check out Fort Laramie Frontier Trading Post found on that web auction site as ftftp

They have some that look reasonably period for about $125 in blue or brown.

Woody

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
There is an old saying among hikers and hunters that cotton kills. It has the nasty habit of holding onto moisture whether from rain or perspiration. If your hunting season involves freezing temperatures I would opt for a wool coat. I believe that I have seen that a section of an old wool blanket put over the shoulders in nasty weather help shed rain and snow to help keep you warm. You throw it over your shoulders and gather it together in front and hold it with anything from a stick pushed through the layers to a blanket pin or other appropriate device.

Hate to be downer but make sure that your state / local hunting regulations don't require that you wear blaze orange.

If looking for a reasonable wool period wool coat check out Fort Laramie Frontier Trading Post found on that web auction site as ftftp

They have some that look reasonably period for about $125 in blue or brown.

Woody
Yup, a matchcoat works great. I have a hunter orange one for our deer season. Keeps rain and snow off you and your gear, including a good portion of your gun. Having been "fulled" twice before cutting to final size it blocks wind really well and is surprisingly warm even when worn over a bunch of period linen clothing.

I do also wear wool socks/stockings and a thin wool shirt as a base layer. As said earlier wet cotton doesn't insulate, and sweat is moisture.

Reaction score
Having worn historic clothing in all weathers all over the East and Alaska, I have to say, wool is far better than linen or leather for warmth and dryness in cold, wet weather. Linen is excellent for spring turkey season here in Tidewater Virginia, and for the first couple of months of hunting deer in the fall. Up home in the Adirondacks, it was wool for deer all season long, and sometimes so many layers, I felt like the little brother from “A Christmas Story!” 🤣 And up on the North Slope, it was wool all year!
Linen is great for keeping you cool in hot weather, though, like for our summer squirrel season.
Jay

Reaction score
Yup, a matchcoat works great. I have a hunter orange one for our deer season. Keeps rain and snow off you and your gear, including a good portion of your gun. Having been "fulled" twice before cutting to final size it blocks wind really well and is surprisingly warm even when worn over a bunch of period linen clothing.

I do also wear wool socks/stockings and a thin wool shirt as a base layer. As said earlier wet cotton doesn't insulate, and sweat is moisture.
Very important truth. Weather around freezing or mild higher temps one can work up a sweat in the woods. Come time to set up camp and temps dropping that can be a killer.

david58

Pilgrim, on a journey
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Our modern wool as the lanolin washed out of it, and isn't usually a very tight weave. Those two properties of wool made it an ideal outdoor garment for the cold. Not likely to find that today, at least not at a price you could likely afford. Linen is as bad as cotton for wet. It'll kill ya, either as an outer fabric or as lining (silk is the best lining if not using wool, it doesn't soak up wet like cotton.

What I would recommend is to get your coat, in wool, and if lined have it lined in wool. Then, have an overshirt made, mid-weight fustian works pretty well. Then oil that - it will shed the water and protect the wool from thorns, and the wool will keep you warm. Not precisely authentic, because oil cloth for landlubber clothing wasn't needed - remember, the wool had lanolin and was fulled or really tight weave, and the linen had natural oils as well. But a pretty good combo, and the hunting shirt will work alone in warmer weather.

David