Hunting coat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Uriahs

32 Cal
Reaction score
Been looking at Cobb Creek 1750's hunting coat, cannot decide if linen or cotton is the way to go. What is everyone's opinion, does anyone have any other coats or companies to recommend. I like frocks but I'm really in the mood for a coat, I like the look.

Reaction score
Kinda/sorta depends on whether you're going for "show" or "go". Homespun (loose weave) is certainly authentic but picking beggar lice and cockleburrs isn't much fun. Wore mine hunting only a few times 45 years ago. Blackberry and multiflora rose cured me.

Uriahs

32 Cal
Reaction score
wool is horrible for picking up begger lice, cockleburs, and Spanish needles. I have used it as a hunting coat before but just hated the aftermath .grain out Leather is almost impervious to those little buggers, oilcloth is a good second option.
Is leather historically documented as a hunting coat? I have two calves I'm growing out to butcher next year, so I'll have plenty of leather.

Reaction score
I would say yes but only for the wealthy unless done by natives. If you have the calves processed into leather make sure you tell the processer that you want garment-grade leather in about the 2-3 oz range and you'll need at least 30-35 sq. ft. depending on your size

Reaction score
The Pa. flintlock deer season , end of Dec. , to mid Jan. can be Snow , near zero temps. , rain , and Ice storms. My hunting buddy and I , dressed in wool ,Hudson's Bay capotes , and I used a British Army wool sweater from the Army/Navy store for underneath , with green wool pants. Absolutely perfect. Whether totally wet , or snow covered , still warm and toasty enough to sit under a tree and snooze. My capote was green in color , and I looked like a walking snow covered stump. The hood kept my head and shoulders toasty let the weather come what may. When the snow got too deep , we wore snow shoes. The coat's had 4 buttons in front could be left open for air flow. , or secured against the cold.
I also had a red wool capote , again , Hudson Bay blanket material with the signature black stripe , but on a bright sunny snow woods , I stood out like a light to the deer. My favorite way of hunting deer , is to still hunt them. (Walk slowly following fresh tracks , or follow a small group . The red , on a sunny day , was too visible . You might say , a green color is too dangerous to wear , , though , there were guys legally wearing regular camo colors. We hunted wearing these clothes , on Pa. State Game lands from 1972 , until we got too old to go out into the mountains , a couple years ago.Hope this helps..................oldwood

Uriahs

32 Cal
Reaction score
If the cotton is in the form of a canvas fabric, you might find that to be stiff, and thus noisy, in the bush until you can get it really well broken in. Wool would be quieter, and less stiff right from the start. Wool is also warm when wet, and would be historically accurate
I have been debating between wool and linen, I am inclined to think linen be easily torn or caught up in the bush, I would say I don't mind picking cockle burs either haha

Reaction score
Back in 1972 , in Nov. I tried to go hunting in the big woods , with friends , and a handsome long fringed cotton jacket with flintlock smooth bore. First day out , I also wore new moccasins. I guess someone has to be the goat when folks gather. Due to the slickness of the mocs. on the leaves , I spent a fair amount of time on the forest floor, the object of ridicule by fellow hunters not wanting to understand the 18th century moment. ....... Next , for a guy used to working inside , and wearing suit and tie everyday , the cotton jacket from the 1770's was cold. Lesson learned. That year , had to go back to Woolrich outfit to stay warm in the typical eager breezes in the Mtn. woods. I acceoted this Nov. day as part of the learning curve in the rebirth of 18th century knowledge.................oldwood

Reaction score
Guys , If you wanted to read how Pa. , and Md. , Appalachian Mtn. hunters got along hunting in a howling wilderness , read the book , "44 yrs. a Hunter ", by Meshack Browning. His career started shortly before 1800 , and he lived near Friendsville , Md.. Back then , the only supply came from Cumberland , Md. , 30 miles east through high mtns. , and deep valleys. Horses were used to transport big game back from the hunts.
There were no weather forcasts either. If it snowed , and rained , you got wet , and stayed under some natural cover , hopefully,by a small fire , hopefully. Don't think much of that gene pool exists today in the wokers and their push button brain boxes..........oldwood

Latest posts