• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting clothes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
I see: I've been sitting here since 3:30 AM, I am cold, my butt has completely fallen asleep on me, my lower back is cramped to high heaven, and I haven't even SEEN one freaking deer yet :cursing:.

This is one of the reasons I like this forum. I like the way you guys see life. Great descriptions of Spence's picture.

Finnbarr said:
If I recall Russell related a couple of accounts of scaling the peaks of the Rockies to hunt big horn sheep. It is clear from his writing that this was one of his favorite hunts and we all know what kind of terrain big horn sheep prefer. This was in the late 1830's and pretty sure he didn't have any modern gear. These old boys were tough!

Yeah, like this.

Spence

Spence that actually looks more like the badlands country along the Missouri in Montana.
Which brings up a point of fact - that most of the hunting and trapping done by the 1820-40's mountain men was done at the lower elevations of the foot hills, high plains, and high desert, and not the real high up country. Elk, mule deer, and big horn sheep were originally from the lower elevations of the foot hills, etc. Where I ove in the four corners area of Colorado, the old timers as well as historians will note there was a dearth of those type animals until the very late 1900's when pressure from human population, ranching, mining, etc. pushed the animals into the high country. During the Mtn Man era one of the highest areas regularly visited by them was the Bayou Salade with an average elevation of around 9,500' ASL. Otherwise the popular areas such as the Green River, Yellow Stone Valley, Three Forks, etc. were/are all in the 4-8,500' elevations. Tough country still, but some of the most rugged and deadly country of the far west was the Cascade and Coastal Ranges where much/most of the area is not high elevation
FWIW I was a hardcore muzzleloader hunter using mostly the gear of the period much in the Spirit of Spence, tenngun, etc. (I no longer hunt due to fighting the big C). I never felt I was at a disadvantage when using HC/PC gear. My hunting over the last 40 years has been mostly in the Rockies from Canada to Mexico, the great basin, and reaching east to west from the eastern foot hills of the Rockies to the west coast.
Nope no photos (never took any such modern gear when hunting PC) or other "evidence" but the experiences I'll never forget
Bu as always different strokes and I don't judge other folks by my standards and only expect of them the same courtesy.

re: footwear: this is one area that I really don't judge much on since most folk don't have the tough foot soles of our elders, since most of us don't do the foot hardening routines like going barefoot a lot.

LaBonte said:
Spence that actually looks more like the badlands country along the Missouri in Montana.
That etching is a bit of a red herring. It's a fanciful scene, almost certainly never existed. It's by Wm. M. Cary. He did spend some time in the west, but a few decades before he did this drawing in 1876-78.

Looks like fun though. :grin:

Spence

Speaking of the coast ranges being tough there is a reference to this in one of the Jedediah Smith books, possibly "A Splendid Wayfaring" by Niedhart? It talks about how steep and devoid of game ( by mountain man standards) Smith and his men found the Trinity and Klamath ranges of Northern California. These coastal mountains held deer but much less Elk and none of the buffalo they were used to.

Very cool thread, this one. I'm highly impressed with your all's clothing and acroutement. Spence, NWTF Longhunter, Stumpkiller (and another whose handle escapes me) - nice work. Love seeing this stuff put to use. It's living history.

Not a hunter (nothing against it just don't), but I do my shooting in the woods. It's a much different feeling doing it in an 18th century common shirt and cocked hat. You gents are definitely helping me get it all together. Great examples here! Thanks for sharing

:hatsoff:

I like the old time hunting gear. :thumbsup: But since both legs are numb from the knees down I wear good boots with a lot of insulation in them. I had frostbite on both feet about 20 years ago. Guess I didn't realize how little feeling my feet had. So we all can tailor our clothing and such with common sense. :wink:

Larry

Be goin for turkey soon

2011_Tom%201.JPG

My hat is off to both of you, as well as anyone else that goes to that level of traditional! :hatsoff:

GMB, I've been meanin' to ask ya...

I move 1700 miles cross-country to Colorado and then you move away! What's with that?! :idunno:

I was hopin' to get you to guide me on an elk hunt!

:hatsoff:

A lot of inspiration in this thread.

So much, I decided to take the next step.

When I started muzzleloading, not having a hunting pouch and powder horn just seemed wrong some how.

Now I know what else was missing.

I have a linen hunting shirt almost done, hand sewing isn't as bad as it sounds, I have a pattern and old wool blanket for a coat . Need to do a little more research turn of century pants(1800-1810 New England backwoods).

I'm looking forward to turkey season in a whole new way.

I think all of you guys that dress traditional look cool. But then my ex-wife said I was weird!! :hmm: :idunno:

Jeff

Back