• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting clothes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I am wondering what you wear when you go hunting. Are you trying to be as 1800s authentic as possible? Or 1700s if that is the time you prefer. Most of my hunting clothing is wool except some warm weather clothing that is camouflage. The wool clothing I wear is not period correct it is just modern wool. So far just trying to switch over to a primitive weapon has been enough. I think the hardest would be to switch to 1800s shoes. How about if you are camping for an extender time? Are you using modern gear? I am just curious if anyone is willing to share their hunting clothing. Thank you.

I have now no buckskin clothing, as I've switched all to cloth. I do hunt in my historic clothing, orange nylon vest and cap when required pulled on over wool duffle coat.
Fur or hair on hide might get you some unwanted attention.

I hunt with my flintlock, shot bag and horn. Everything else is modern gear. Wool, Gore-Tex and above all warm waterproof boots. When it is real cold I use the PC/HC disposable hand warmers. :rotf:

Dave

When I am hunting I am not doing it to be HC/PC. I do it for recreation and the chance for a trophy. I could care less about HC/PC. I want to be comfortable and I want to be successful.
I like Gortex Boots, Jackets, Wool is always good when it is cold. A camper for a home and an ATV or a motorcycle for a horse. I am ready.

I hunt with modern clothing and boots. I want to be warm and enjoy the hunt when it is zero degrees and windy. Yes, I use a flintlock for deer, but my powder reloads are measured out and in corked tubes. My greased patches are in a handy tin in my pocket. I see no need to carry a powder horn with a pound of powder in it, when you are only in need of one or two shots deer hunting. Now pheasant hunting I carry a dozen reloads, and a leather shot flask. Wads/cards are in a handy tin, in my pocket.
Hope this helps. Leon

Well my wife calls what I wear antique cuz it hasn't changed in 40 years :grin:
I go out with PC clothes in the early seasons, it's a lot of fun, but when it gets cold I go back to what I know works for me. We don't buy store bought meat, hunting is for filling our freezers.
All wool for me, jacket, pants, hat and mittens...I hunt northern Maine, Vermont, Canada and Montana.
Wouldn't trade my bean pack boots for anything.

I don't always hunt in colonial kit, but I do most of the time. When dressed modern I still do the gun and gear as completely correct as I know how, shot pouch and horn, etc.. Doing it the way the old boys did is a big part of my enjoyment, and collecting game while dressed colonial and using proper gun and gear adds a lot to my pleasure. Too many photos, sorry.

Spence

Nice photos Spence. Thanks for posting. I guess I am in line with most of you. I really like the historic rifle and I am carrying a horn and pouch. When it comes to clothes though I need them to keep me warm and dry. I can't concentrate on being successful if I am miserable. Most of the places I hunt are far from home and a lot are far from the road. Thank you all for your insight.

Not P/C here.

T-shirt and cotton briefs. Heavy surplus ECWS top and bottom. 60s issue german cold weather wool pants, like them better than my old woolrich, w/suspenders and 2" belt. A wool shirt that thickness depends on weather under a wool coat, both old school woolrich. Have goretex outers if needed for wet, sometimes leave a wool shirt/jacket home, or they they go in a small pack. gaiters/snowshoes. LL bean boots or classic timberlands (quality has faded on the latter), heavy wool socks light wool liners. USGI triggerfinger mittens/liners. Wool cap. Beard starts growing in august. Orange coverup.

Much will vary on weather/temperature. I still love picking up a good track and dogging it all day, you need layers for that. Conditions permiting.

Sitting in a treehouse is not for me. Rather chase a quarry 20 miles, try to out fox, and not get a shot, than sit and see nothing. Healthier too

Whether hunting grouse, squirrels, deer or elk, the only thing that changes is my gun.....and my togs certainly aren't used for staging an historical event. Whatever does the job is what's used and most "modern" hunting clothes do an excellent job. Don't like "discomfort" caused by "lousy" togs...hunting should be a pleasant experience, not an example of being miserable due to the clothes one wears....Fred

flehto said:
Don't like "discomfort" caused by "lousy" togs...hunting should be a pleasant experience, not an example of being miserable due to the clothes one wears....Fred
I would guess that's what a lot of people assume is the case with period kit. I was very surprised when I first started wearing it to find that there are very few situations I can't be completely comfortable in. It's like other aspects of the hobby, it works best if you are willing to do your homework. It's part and parcel of what I want out of the hobby, and I've learned to work with the shortcomings of the clothes just as I have with the guns. I'm just as fond of being warm and dry as the next guy, and in my area I can manage that a majority of the time.

It's not for everyone, though, it does require a certain mental toughness and determination which is not what many in the hobby are looking for. :grin:

Spence

Got to say for my self historic clothing that I wear is as warm and comfortable as modren clothing, with the exception of shoes, that I fudge on. Doing it the old way adds to my experince. I don't trophy hunt or use tree stands, I shoot the first deer I can. Out of several deer t take the closest. Take does any time I can. My 'trophy'is the knowledge I got with in my range and took a good shot.

I've really wanted to go all the way on clothes, and in fact used parts and pieces along the way. I admire the capote I wore in the past, and I'll wear another when I get around to making it. Meanwhile I retired mine (dark brown) after a couple times scaring my hunting pards senseless and once almost getting shot. It's the zact same color as our local brown bears.

But traditional clothes have to stop at the ankles for me. Our terrain is just too slick, wet and steep for moccasins, and I admit I'm getting too old to live with all the slipping and sliding and falling. Worse yet, I feel downright foolish going to all the trouble with the rest of the clothes, then strapping on my Vibram soled modern wonders to carry it all up and down.

I'm lucky to live in a moderate climate, and temperatures down to zero are not usual. I've been impressed that I can stay warm, even my feet, down nearly that low, especially if I can move around a bit. Thinking about the old boys, it is amazing to me that they were able to explore and survive in the harshest of climates with none of our modern miracle gear. But, they did it with their primitive gear, so I guess we could if we knew how. Here's an example from the day which implies they learned some of it from the natives. Upstate New York.

"Warren Johnson's Journal: 1760-1761

January the 23d. Extreme Cold, & very hard frost. If one walks two Mile in European shoes & gloves, he is frost bitten;"

Spence

BrownBear said:
Meanwhile I retired mine (dark brown) after a couple times scaring my hunting pards senseless and once almost getting shot. It's the zact same color as our local brown bears.
I'm surprised to hear that, even we lower 48ers know better than that. :wink:

A friend of my dad's shot a deer in Michigan many years ago and was bent over field dressing it. He had on black wool pants. His hunting partner came into the area, saw his big black rump, thought he was a black bear, which was in season, and shot him center-butt with a .30-06. He survived, but it was a close run thing.

Spence

Back