• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunter Orange period clothing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HUNTING POUCH FUR ON 1773.JPG

Not quite the right color, but one could have something made in the blaze orange in the same style... I'd go with a black cravat though... white in the woods draws fire from knuckleheads...

LD

I've been thinking the same thing...or even make a capote out of fluorescent orange canvas and pull it over my garb.
amazon has the fabric for bout $8 a yard.
for kentucky where i live i would say dye a frock or add a removable cape cover and breast cover since kentucky requires both back and chest to be covered along with the head by that color.

I have hats, coats, vests, ponchos ad more that are hunter orange. But I don't dress period either.

What the heck happened to this world. The first time my family took me out hunting it was 2 pairs of dungarees, a flannel shirt, 2 pairs of socks, my play shoes, buckle galoshes, and a blue and black courderoy hat, and whhat ever play coat I had at the time. I graduated to a red and black Woolrich hunting coat. before that it was whatever winter coat that I had. In all the time before the blaze orange laws I was never shot at nor did I shoot at anyone. It seems like we keep making laws to protect dim witted!

Bud, like you it was whatever seemed to keep you warm and was available at the time, I received my first to me real deer hunting coat at 12 years old it was a Woolrich black and red plaid hand me down, as you mentioned, as I grew, and it became too small it went to a cousin. My next one was a Christmas gift from my wife the first year we were married, (that was going on 45 years ago) still have it and use it a lot during deer season (with an orange over vest) them coats wear like iron.

It may not be period, but it's certainly primitive. I realized the day before season that I didn't have any orange, but I did have an old Broncos jersey, lol. I was about a hundred miles from town and didn't want to drive that far just for some orange.

NY had no law requiring that a hunter must wear blaze orange, but like the vast majority of hunters I wore some. Then last year they made it mandatory, a law! I resent that, just like the helmet law, seat belt law, and a ton of other laws that steal my freedom to make decisions for myself based on my needs. Feed me the information if you must, the decision to swallow or spit it out is mine and mine alone.
Robby

It seems like we keep making laws to protect dim witted!
In this case it would at first seem the law is written to protect folks from the dim-witted.
That being the case I don't understand states like mine that don't require all users of land open to hunting to have to wear the minimum required amount of orange. Seems to me all they have done is to make it easier for antis to identity the "bad guys."

One of my best Christmases ever (think Ralphie in "A Christmas Story") was 1976 when my parents gave me a Woolrich Red & Black plaid jacket. Prior to that I was wearing a hand me down from an uncle, too big and full of holes and repairs. I wore that Christmas gift even after I left for the Navy and finally outgrew it. I'm actually wearing it in my profile picture (along with an Uncle Mike's Bag, we learn my doing). By then I was in Maine, and I replaced it with a Green & Black plaid version because that is what the locals and Larry Benoit wore. I still have that pattern and wear it today. It is sad that no one really makes them here anymore. Johnson says Made in USA but I suspect they are sewn in Vermont with imported wool.

But back to Hunter or Blaze Orange. I wear it because I have to by law. In years past, I felt safe without it during the muzzleloader seasons. But now, with all the modern unmentionable non-muzzleloaders probably now outnumbering the traditional rifles it is probably a smart move to wear it - reluctantly.

Last edited:
In this case it would at first seem the law is written to protect folks from the dim-witted.
That being the case I don't understand states like mine that don't require all users of land open to hunting to have to wear the minimum required amount of orange. Seems to me all they have done is to make it easier for antis to identity the "bad guys."
I agree that wearing blaze orange can protect you from the dim-witted, but that is still not a guarantee. Thirty some years I was shot at while I was wearing blaze orange. That being said I don't believe in mandating blaze orange. I feel like the dim-witted might be more apt to shoot at movement or sounds just because they don't see orange.

amazon has the fabric for bout $8 a yard.
for kentucky where i live i would say dye a frock or add a removable cape cover and breast cover since kentucky requires both back and chest to be covered along with the head by that color.

Here's a mock-up illustration that I did when this was discussed in the past..., kinda like something that I own... mine is worn with a blaze orange Voyageur's cap
HUNTING SHIRT.JPG

LD

I agree that wearing blaze orange can protect you from the dim-witted, but that is still not a guarantee
I didn't say it will protect you from the dim-witted,,,, I said that would seem to be the reason for the law.
I don't agree with mandated orange. I think my "hyper vigilance," will keep me safer than an orange vest or hat.
But, then, I also don't agree with seatbelt laws, helmet laws or draconian anti smoking laws.

I didn't say it will protect you from the dim-witted,,,, I said that would seem to be the reason for the law.
I don't agree with mandated orange. I think my "hyper vigilance," will keep me safer than an orange vest or hat.
But, then, I also don't agree with seatbelt laws, helmet laws or draconian anti smoking laws.
I didn't say WILL either. I said CAN.

Us real old farts make sure of our targets but I have witnessed many bad things in the field. I love blasé orange as it is the best deer camo ever. It does save lives. I was on a primitive early hunt in Ohio along with a few hundred others. Talk was about a black man draped in a deer skin to sneak on deer. Everyone wondered how he survived but I attribute that to good hunters that made sure of what they were going to shoot at.
If you think about it a little, the worst thing you can face in the field is to shoot at a deer and there is a man beyond the deer that looks like a bush.

Reminds me of when I took my son for his first deer hunt as a teenager. He came out ready to go and I looked at his jacket. Uhm son, you might want to pick a different one. He was wearing a light brown suede jacket with a wide white fluffy collar.
You look like a deer butt son.

YES and this is what I often wear, BUT...this is REALLY REALLY warm, so IF you are not in cold weather, like near 30 degrees, you will start losing weight from the top of your head! Tough to aim with sweat running down into your eyes... 😆

I have a similar "voyager" cap that isn't knitted, but is cotton, and has a liner when it's a tad chilly...

LD

Latest posts

Back