• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Hudson's Bay Camp knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a Hudson's Bay Camp knife, like the one pictured below. Anyone have one to trade or know of a decent maker. Not looking for a reworked Condor, but one like this. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220725-221359_kindlephoto-1339929.png
    Screenshot_20220725-221359_kindlephoto-1339929.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 3
Morning SBJ,
Thier are a several talented makers on this forum. I know Runewolf1973 has made several Hudson Bay camp knives. Tallpine also dose nice work. I don’t know that I have seen him produce a HBC knife but it is certainly within his capabilities.
I also am a maker but I don’t think I could even start on it for 4-6 months.
I hope that helps
Aaron

@Runewolf1973 has made several and sold them on this forum. He does excellent work. You could possibly contact him and commission a knife made to your specs. @tallpine also does spectacular work, but I don't specifically remember an HBC camp knife made by him. I have no doubt he could make one, though.

Also, Google Dean Hazuka at Montana Americana. I have a HBC camp knife I got from him ten or so years ago. I believe he makes them either with two rivets and the bolster as shown, or with three rivets. Both are authentic. They aren't really rivets, but pins with large, inlaid "washers," or more properly "burrs." Note that on the originals, the pins were iron and the washers were brass. It is said the Indians called these "knives with eyes," because the iron pin in the brass washer looked like the pupil of an eye.

The only thing not totally authentic about the knife I got from Dean is that the handle scales are walnut. They look great, but the originals were typically hafted with water buffalo horn, or possibly sometimes with ebony.

I'm not especially interested in selling mine, but could maybe post a picture if you want to see what Dean's work looks like. If you look in the "Similar Threads " section at the bottom of this page, you should find a couple of threads by Runewolf that show his HBC camp knives.

Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Notchy Bob

How soon do you want/need one? Message me details of what you want, I’ll see if I can make one you’d like to buy…

@Runewolf1973 has made several and sold them on this forum. He does excellent work. You could possibly contact him and commission a knife made to your specs. @tallpine also does spectacular work, but I don't specifically remember an HBC camp knife made by him. I have no doubt he could make one, though.

Also, Google Dean Hazuka at Montana Americana. I have a HBC camp knife I got from him ten or so years ago. I believe he makes them either with two rivets and the bolster as shown, or with three rivets. Both are authentic. They aren't really rivets, but pins with large, inlaid "washers," or more properly "burrs." Note that on the originals, the pins were iron and the washers were brass. It is said the Indians called these "knives with eyes," because the iron pin in the brass washer looked like the pupil of an eye.

The only thing not totally authentic about the knife I got from Dean is that the handle scales are walnut. They look great, but the originals were typically hafted with water buffalo horn, or possibly sometimes with ebony.

I'm not especially interested in selling mine, but could maybe post a picture if you want to see what Dean's work looks like. If you look in the "Similar Threads " section at the bottom of this page, you should find a couple of threads by Runewolf that show his HBC camp knives.

Notchy Bob iron pins inside of “washers”

Notchy Bob
That’s really cool about iron pins inside the “washers” and typically made with those handle materials! Where do you find details like that?

That’s really cool about iron pins inside the “washers” and typically made with those handle materials! Where do you find details like that?
@Dan99 ,

Thanks for your comment, which gave me the incentive to look through some of the material I have accumulated. However, I do need to make a correction. While many of the originals had iron pins and brass washers as mentioned, today I found that at least some of the originals did have brass pins with brass washers, so I was wrong in suggesting the iron pins were universal.

I don't want to divert this thread away from its original purpose with too much side chatter, and it might be fun to introduce a new thread in the "Accoutrements" section for discussing these knives. I want to pull together what I have on the HBC Camp Knife and maybe open a new discussion later today. Hopefully, other forum members can weigh in and share what they know.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

@Dan99 ,

Thanks for your comment, which gave me the incentive to look through some of the material I have accumulated. However, I do need to make a correction. While many of the originals had iron pins and brass washers as mentioned, today I found that at least some of the originals did have brass pins with brass washers, so I was wrong in suggesting the iron pins were universal.

I don't want to divert this thread away from its original purpose with too much side chatter, and it might be fun to introduce a new thread in the "Accoutrements" section for discussing these knives. I want to pull together what I have on the HBC Camp Knife and maybe open a new discussion later today. Hopefully, other forum members can weigh in and share what they know.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
👍
@Dan99 ,

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
👍

I'm currently just waiting on some more steel, but I do plan on making some Hudson Bay Camp knives exactly like this. I even have some Buffalo horn that I ordered. Just been so darn busy at my regular work that I haven't really had time to work on knives of late.
I am looking forward to that!

Latest posts

Back